Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 4:55:02 AM EDT
My turn to go to the well of ARFCOM knowledge!

I have a 1980 CJ-7 that has developed a unusual problem, It's a standard 258 OHV straight six that has decided that once shut off, it will not start till the engine cools.
It seems to be getting spark, and gas, but will not turn over.
Once it has set for an hour it will crank right up.
Used to doing my own work on this vehicle, but this one is a stumper.

UPDATE:
Well, spent the day working on it, figured it wouldn't hurt to replace a few parts since I had the money (thank God!).
Ended up replacing the Electronic module, starter (what a pain), and a complete tune up including coil.
Since it's one of my SHTF vehicles, and the one we take into the rough country, I decided not to take chances.
Running like a champ now!
Thanks to all that replied.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you have a problem with the ignition control module.  I'd suggest t hat you pull the part and have it tested, guessing at electronic problems can get expensive.  Fords of that vintage had the same problem, and IIRC, Jeep used some Motorcraft components in the ignition system.  Ops
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on checking the module.

I worked at a Jeep dealership when that thing was sold new. The factory rep's Jeep had 2 of the modules installed on it.  If one failed, he just switched the plug to the other one.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#3]
One way you can test the ignition control module is to use a heat gun or maybe a hair dryer.
If you warm it up with the heat gun and then it won't start you have found your trouble!!!
This method is not fool proof but I have had some sucsess with it over the years.
GOOD LUCK
BIG
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I guess I'll be spending the day with grease under my nails, football on the radio, and a beer on the fender.
Can't wait till my nosey neighbor comes over wants to know why I'm blow drying the engine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Could also be the coil.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Well???????????
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember this,

Gas, Spark and Air. You need all three, it is proven everyday.

If you are getting gas, then check for Spark, then Air. Somewhere along those lines is your problem.

Exactly what, I cont know, I am not there to check it out. HTH.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Strange problem. On my 78 CJ7 I replaced the ignition module, plugs coil and the battery. No joy. Removed the starter and found the gear side bushing totally gone. It started fine until the thing got hot and then it began binding.

(remember boys "it wont turn over")
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#9]
GM HEI is a beautiful thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Careful, the old carbuerated I6s like to start on fire.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I know this is a little late, but the crank or cam position sensors tend to act up and cause symptoms like this as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I know this is a little late, but the crank or cam position sensors tend to act up and cause symptoms like this as well.

The old 258 (4.2 liter) doesn't have cam or crank sensors. You're thinking of the 4.0, direct descendant of and successor to the 258.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell that to our parts heep, it didn't get the memo. Nor did the other burnt out YJs we saw in the junk yard or the junkers who we talked to about it when we bought the parts heep.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell that to our parts heep, it didn't get the memo. Nor did the other burnt out YJs we saw in the junk yard or the junkers who we talked to about it when we bought the parts heep.

How about if I tell it to my old CJ-5, my brother's previous Wrangler, my various friends' Jeeps, the countless CJs I've picked through at boneyards, or the bazillion old Jeeps still tooling around the trails that have somehow defied the odds and not become engulfed in flames?

I've personally only seen 1 Jeep that died as a result of an engine fire. The old 258 may have it's downsides, but being a tinderbox isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:35:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The Carter carbs in CJs haver NEVER been known to be any more subject to fire than other carbs. Now if you're talking about those fine Chrysler products...ehh, who cares.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:53:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
GM HEI is a beautiful thing.

Definately go with a HEI or a TFI ignition upgrade.  Either can be done for about $100.  This has proven to be THE fix for my '83 CJ with all the usual CJ symptoms.  Also, the Nutter computer bypass mods are the shizt.  Do a Google for any of the above.  They're not hard to find.  Good Luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top