Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2001 5:41:00 PM EDT
OK, I've heard many differant opinions on this, and would like to know exactly the 1/7 twist affects
55 gr. bullets.
I've heard some people say that it actually makes the bullet more deadly at long ranges, and has little affect on accuracy, either short or long ranges.
Others have said that it makes the bullet less deadly, and makes it quite a bit less accurate.
Also, I've heard that the only reason that the military goes with it is to stabilize their tracer rounds, which seems a bit odd to me since there would seem to be better reasons than that. But than again, we are talking about the military here.
So what's the concesus here? Is the 1/7 twist adequate for the 55 gr. bullet, or is it terrible? Anyone here actually done much long range shooting with the two?
Anyway's, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
here it is the TRUTH (drumroll please)--------------------it varies from rifle to rifle.  but as a rule of thumb you can shoot the 55gr out to 100metres with military acceptable accuracy.  personally anything exiting a 1/7 20" barrel that is light theoretically will have more of an 'explosive' reaction.  lightweight HI velocity - the original plan behind the m16.

for some interesting reading go to
www.aguilla.com
and read about the 117 gr 45acp ammo.  hi velocity light bullet was making 'explosive' impacts on wild hogs.

steve
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a few Colt pre-bans and currently have two now, they are 1/7. I have shot 3 gun IPSC competition with them for many years and have "shot for groups" for years off benches and bags. At 100 yards I can't tell jack between the 55's the 62's and the 69's. It has more to do with the quality of bullit, powder etc than the weight. I reciently shot an IPSC match with one stage ending with shots at 300 yards, my groups actually looked very good, all A's with 55's.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a few Colt pre-bans and currently have two now, they are 1/7. I have shot 3 gun IPSC competition with them for many years and have "shot for groups" for years off benches and bags. At 100 yards I can't tell jack between the 55's the 62's and the 69's. It has more to do with the quality of bullit, powder etc than the weight. I reciently shot an IPSC match with one stage ending with shots at 300 yards, my groups actually looked very good, all A's with 55's.
I can only talk about shooting paper and cardboard, have know idea how more or less deadly they are.

Bill

Happiness is a warm gun...
Bang bang, shoot shoot...
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I was shooting 55gr FMJ PMP stuff 2 weeks ago, thru my 1-7 twist barrel.

A buddy of mine had a .22 cal "spinner" target set up at about 125 yards...He was spinning the 1/4" plates with his scoped Marlin 22 semi. I asked him if I coud have a go with my iron-sighted AR, and he said...
"sure, go ahead, after all, it's made for .22 cal anyway"

With an evil grin I said... "cool"

After finishing a 30 round mag we went down to check the spinners.

There were (3) 1/4" thick steel plates about 3" X 3" hanging on a metal frame.

Each of the steel plates had several "clean as a whistle" holes through them, as if they were done with a drill...

I could not believe my eyes...
These tiny little 55 grain bullets will smoke a hole through a 1/4" steel plate at 125+ yards...
Needless to say my buddy was impressed too, but now had to weld the holes shut...[:)]
Unbelievable...

20" 1-7 twist barrel with South African PMP 55 grain ammo...

Definately armor piercing enough for me...

I'm not sure if the barrel twist and bullet weight had anything to do with it, but I'm sure it didn't hurt any...

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. I really wanted some opinions based on experience, so that's just the info I was looking for. I assumed that the two would match up just fine, but like I said, I had heard otherwise and wanted to know for sure.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#9]
FM 23-9 says M193 is accurate out to 500m.  But you need to zero for this ammo.  If it is zeroed for M855, and you fire M193, it will impact low and to the left.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top