Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 7:54:55 PM EDT
Could someone enlighten me as to the various part differences between the PolyTech and the GI guns?

Primary interest is differences in Bolt, Flash Hider, Stock.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Could someone enlighten me as to the various part differences between the PolyTech and the GI guns?

Primary interest is differences in Bolt, Flash Hider, Stock.

Thanks!!

With the Poly Tech you will have to send it to Fulton Armory and have them completely redo it including replacing the soft metal bolt.

With the GI gun you load the mags and shoot.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope.  Want to know the differences on parts dimensions.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope.  Want to know the differences on parts dimensions.

Oh...nevermind
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, You cannot replace the barrel with a GI barrel.

This may/may not mean much to you unless you are a serious shooter.

Barrels DO wear out. Ask about this on the comperitive forum.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I am aware of the bolt issue.  Fulton is ONE solution.  There is also another company, Smith, IIRC that does the GI bolt thing a little differently.  My understanding is they machine somewhere on the receiver to allow a GI bolt to fit.  THAT is one detail I need.  Also want to trash the post ban "non functional" flash hider with neutered bayo lug.  MUST I use Chinese one or can I modify a GI part to work?

Same on stock - can GI part be made to work or not?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
MickeyMouse: Man those are pretty specific questions, maybe you can email Smith Ent. and ask them and get it straight from the horse's mouth. If you find out please post your findings.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am aware of the bolt issue.  Fulton is ONE solution.  There is also another company, Smith, IIRC that does the GI bolt thing a little differently.  My understanding is they machine somewhere on the receiver to allow a GI bolt to fit.  THAT is one detail I need.  Also want to trash the post ban "non functional" flash hider with neutered bayo lug.  MUST I use Chinese one or can I modify a GI part to work?

Same on stock - can GI part be made to work or not?

Thanks!!

You can put a USGI or Fulton repro flash supressor on a PolyTech - no modifications needed, but then you might run into some 922(r) violations unless you get enough U.S. partsi n the thing.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the PolyTech bolt. Mine ran fine and as far as I know, is still running fine for the new owner I sold it to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#8]
A GI barrel may or may not fit depending on how it indexes.

Parts differences:

gas cyl and plug threads are metric.
Gas cyl lock threads are metric.
Flash hider castle nut threads are metric but a GI one will thread on.
Windage Knob / Sight base threads are metric but GI will work.
Op-rod guide has a solid pin.
uses metric size roll pins.
Poly/Norincos fit in GI stocks vice versa, Chinese stocks are fat kinda suck and use soft wood.
parts in general are pretty good except for soft bolts.

I have a Norinco I re-did with GI parts " Bolt,stock, Commercial bbl etc."
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
tangeant - THANK YOU!! That is JUST what I wanted to know.  Leaves only the bolt issue unclear - what does Fulton modify on the bolt or Smith on the receiver??

What are the "legal" parts as defined by ATF??

Barrel
Bolt
Receiver
Op-Rod
Gas piston
Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Mag Body
Follower
Base plate
Muzzle device
Stock
Handguard???

If above is accurate, USI stock, hand guard, bolt and flash hider would bring us to 10 imported parts and there would be zero issues?

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The mag can count to.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:14:04 PM EDT
[#12]
They are better than any new SA M1a!

They are great forged recivers,just need a good bolt to go!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top