Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 7:50:53 PM EDT
Are you loyal to your company or are you ready to cut and run? Just curious. Poll coming.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#1]
When I worked...yes.

As a matter of fact, I often stay loyal after I am gone.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  I work for a good company.  There are petty gripes, but all in all it's a good place. That is if Kerry stays out of the Whitehouse.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Just celebrated my 10th anniversary with a great company!  In December, I begin a 22 month MBA program.

In 34 months, I'm on the fly!

P.S. Company policy states that you must pay back any tuition reimbursement that was paid within 12 months of your departure date.

+12
=34
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Your poll blows...you have no in between choices.

I am a company man to a point.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell no im not a company man. The management ever since the last regime change has screwed me more than a two dollar whore.

im outta there first chance i get.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I'm at 75 hours for the week. You tell me.

Actually, I'm just a whore. A complete slut. And as long as they keep payin me, they can keep fuckin me. When someone comes along who'll pay me better, I'm gonna let them fuck me. And so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I am the most loyal employee, and strongly identify with my organization - until they screw me over.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty loyal, but watch out for myself.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I apologize.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I work for a company, but with the intention of learning what I need to know to get out & start my own.  In about 2 weeks it will be 3 years since I started with this company.  I am currently on the prowl looking for other opportunities.  Since our company was bought out in the last year and a half, they have made it abundantly clear that all we mean to them is profit.  I have no problem with that attitude, as anyone who wants to leave can do so whenever they want.  However it is a two way street.  Since they only care about how much money I make them and how little I rock the boat, all I care about is how much they pay me and how little they make me work.

With all of that said I turned down an offer from a company that I really would like to work for about 6 months ago, simply because the position was in the estimating department and I hate estimating.  I want to leave where I am now, but I'm only going to leave for the right opportunity.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I apologize.

Sorry CJ..it's the Martinis talkin'...no need for apologies....just know that there are many that are somewhere in between...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I give an full days work for an full days pay. I don't know if that makes me a company man or not.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I've worked at the same company for 15 years, doing a job that I feel proud to put my name on. Now, they're shipping our jobs to India.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
ohhh... I thought you meant The company
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I own stock and am fairly loyal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#18]
You mean the company in Langley, VA? No, I work for UNCLE.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not loyal to my current company.  They've given me no reason to be.  All of my training has been denied, and they continue to treat me like crap.  I'm looking for a job now, and as soon as I find one I'm leaving.  I'm not the first person to do so from my group either.  Instead of fixing their problems, they just keep acting like jackasses.

I am generally a loyal employee, but only if the company earns that loyalty.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#20]
They don't give a shit about me, therefore, I don't give a shit about them.

Remember, Success is what your boss achieves through your hard work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I am very loyal to the Company that I work for.
They pay me a decent wage for what I do
They treat me with respect and dignity

I feel I should do the same

and I just recieved a $1600.00 3rd quarter prfoit sharing check, can say Gun Money
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a big mouth, I open it often, I tell them things they don't want to hear, I'm always right, and I piss the bosses (foremen) off - yet they keep me around, and I'm one of the first to get offered overtime when available.  Ergo, here I sit, after buying a three day Gunstock pass.  

I.E: The foreman I'm working for now is the most arrogant asshole I've ever met.  This afternoon I asked him, "Do you still have all your original teeth?"  

For some reason, he didn't laugh.   Guess I'll vote "I am not".
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#23]
It depends on the company. I voted no.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#24]
For all the negatives I've heard about Taiwanese companies (and there are many, many bad ones!), I've been really amazed by the place that I work for.  Yes, we are all replaceable cogs in the company machine, but the owner is a gentleman who treats everyone well, has very lenient policies (take as much time off as you want, pretty much whenever you want, just get your job done), pays well and pays honestly, and he himself works even harder than we do.  People who leave under good circumstances (and I haven't seen anyone leave under bad circumstances yet!) are always welcome back -- they even held a job open for a trainee who left after one month to go interview for another job back in Canada.

Probably most amazing to me, someone or someones screwed up royally and cost us a major client a few weeks ago -- and nobody got fired over it.

It's the best-managed of any company I've ever worked at, morale is high, and the people are all pretty good.  I hope to stay until I move back home, and if they need a U.S.-based contact at that point, I'll try to stay affiliated.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, seeing as I've been on the job only two weeks, I figure I should be loyal for a bit longer!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#26]
... Sometimes, if you're loyal to the company, it pays off for you in the long run. I've been working for the same company for 22 years.

... After awhile, you kind of become your own agent. If you are good at what you do, you get to call your shots, command the salary you desire, set your own hours, choose projects you want on and so forth. It's somewhat like the company knows what ever it is you're doing, it's benefiting the business and there's no need to be "managed" per se.

... If you have to work for a living, it's the way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
... Sometimes, if you're loyal to the company, it pays off for you in the long run. I've been working for the same company for 22 years.

... After awhile, you kind of become your own agent. If you are good at what you do, you get to call your shots, command the salary you desire, set your own hours, choose projects you want on and so forth. It's somewhat like the company knows what ever it is you're doing, it's benefiting the business and there's no need to be "managed" per se.

... If you have to work for a living, it's the way to do it.

That's one of the most telling things when you go to work for a new company, is to see how the "old timers" are treated.  In our case there are several people that have been there for over 20 years that poured alot of themselves into the company, expecting to oneday be offered the opportunity to buy in, or buy the whole thing when the founders decided to retire.  Whoops, sorry no.  The founders sold out to an out of state company, and basically dicked all the longtime employees.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I was company man in a small company until the company/SOB crapped on me. I worked long hours and sacrificed a lot to make the company profitable.

You will always have a job with us…

A lie, laid off after 12 years with no severance and 3 days notice after being assured again 2 weeks before I would always have a job.

You are part of our family…

Another lie, but he treated his family like sh*t to.

Here you go instead of retirement benifits we will give you stock now that you have stock you are an owner with 30% of the company…

Stock worthless because the SOB issues himself a bazillion shares after I am out diluting my shares until they are worthless.

When I retire in 6 or 7 years you will take over…

Another lie.

Sure you will get to take all that unused vacation or we will pay you for it…

"Sorry but I made you no promises and you cannot prove it if I did so” I left with 14 weeks unused vacation.

All this and much worse.

Never again a company man.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#29]
We're not really a company per se, but I can't see myself working for any other organization in my field.

Everyone else pays shit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#30]
whatever stance is going to get me more pie
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

...  Whoops, sorry no.  The founders sold out to an out of state company, and basically dicked all the longtime employees.

... That's probably true more often than not. However, to me there's a distinction between a kiss-ass and an employee that just minds his/her own business but is a team player, stays out of office politics yet is productive and is a role model for others. In other words - A company man.

... See, I'm of the belief that in many companies out there, there is somewhat of a "circle" where most competitors know how you're conducting business, they know how you're treating employees and what the salary & benefits are in place to keep the best and brightest on your staff. Shit on your good folk and they'll bale out. Likewise, if my company is treating me OK, keeps my plate full of interesting and meaningful work, why split?

... YMMV
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Only if I can benefit from it without kissing ass.  I play the game like everyone else.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I work in a family business that someday I will buy and own.  (Assuming I don't fuck up too bad first).  So, yes definitely a loyal company man.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
... See, I'm of the belief that in many companies out there, there is somewhat of a "circle" where most competitors know how you're conducting business, they know how you're treating employees and what the salary & benefits are in place to keep the best and brightest on your staff. Shit on your good folk and they'll bale out. Likewise, if my company is treating me OK, keeps my plate full of interesting and meaningful work, why split?

... YMMV

I've talked to several recruiters lately.  They all say the exact same thing.  Evidently 2 years ago they got hung up on every time they called one of us.  Now they have us calling them.  That speaks volumes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I dearly hate my company 6 of the last ten years have been shit. I've trained four of my bosses over the years and two of their bosses. My refusal to be "part of the team", seems to keep me down, but as long as they pay me and pay for my college, I'll stick it out until I've got my degree.

I've never understood how upper management people can look you in the eye and lie to you when they know you know they are lying.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've never understood how upper management people can look you in the eye and lie to you when they know you know they are lying.

Seems to be a trend, eh?

I could talk about this until the sun comes up...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Two words I hate more than any others......."Team Player"
Those words are used whenever the boss wants something done for free or when he needs a handy catch phrase to intimidate workers into doing things.
You have an issue with something, you bring it up in a professional manner....you are scolded and told you aren't a team player.
These are the same jackasses who put up all those stupid, touchy-feely "motivational" posters.

I like these better.

From www.despair.com

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I Voted Yes.
I am Loyal To My Company. I work For a Large Auto Parts Manufacture as Machine maintenance Mechanic Which Has Been in Business for 102 years and Got Its Start Building Bombs & Barrels for U.S Battle Ships & Artillery. I have been working for this company for 9 Months I haven’t got A Raise Yet due to the economy I just Got Back from Lay off 2 weeks ago after being laid off for 6 Weeks. 60 People in the company have been permanently laid off due to the economy. I work For a Non Union Company and Proud to say we don’t need a union in this Plant. I would of been Permently laid off Do to my Lack of seniority (no bumping rights)  but the company did a new type of lay off this time they pretty much weeded out the shit (people with bad attitudes, Bad attendance And Poor work performance) I am lucky I have a Good work Attitude and Have Perfect Attendance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#39]
President & CEO here

After 20 years I decided that If I had to work for an asshole ... It might as well be me
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#40]
As long as they have work for me, I'll continue to do it happily, until something better comes along.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
As long as they have work for me, I'll continue to do it happily, until something better comes along.

Most guys are like that, and thats cool. As long as a man and his employer treat each other fairly, everyone comes out ahead.

I was wondering, and asked here, because I know some guys who take the extra step. They throw their lot in with the company (I'm the second generation of a family company, I was born to be a company man) and due to that they either come out way ahead, or sink with the company. I have seen it go both ways. Its a risk, that seems pretty certain to me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#42]

I'll be getting my A/C license this winter and will start my own business next spring.

So then I'll only be loyal to my customer's and myself.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I'll be getting my A/C license this winter and will start my own business next spring.

So then I'll only be loyal to my customer's and myself.

... Do you expect your future employees to have about the same sentiment? If so, you may want to consider keeping tight reigns on them, because that "teaming environment" mentality is a breeding ground for embezzlement, thievery, bribery, collusion and internal strife.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#44]
I once interviewed with a quite large construction company, and the CEO was there for the interview (which in and of itself impressed ths thit out of me).  He said in that interview that he was looking to hire his replacement.  What he meant was that he wanted to hire someone that was going to stick with them for their entire carreer, and would hopefully have the skills & personality to one day take over the company.

I think that in general this attitude is dying.  As companies kill pension programs (like my parent company recently did), increase insurance premiums (as happened when my company was bought out), and sell out to larger impersonal organizations (as my company did) it becomes clear to employees that the only loyalty the bigwigs have towards them was based on convenience not actual loyalty.  When employees start to have this epiphany, it usually spreads like wildfire through the company.  This is why when the buyout was announced they sent the VPs around to talk to everyone and try to pitch it as a good thing not a bad thing.  Ironically some of these VPs were the very ones who were the most bitter about the buyout.

If employers want loyal employees, they need to themselves be loyal.  If they expect the employees to sacrifice (as in work long hours) they need to themselves sacrifice (as in absorb rising insurance costs).  Employees also need to feel like there is room for advancement, and that these positions of advancement are good things.  I know alot of tradesmen who never want to be foremen or supers because they are currently getting time and a half for overtime and are taking home bigger paychecks than the supers and foremen who are on salary but working the same long hours.  Then the company cries that it can't find any good supervision.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am generally a loyal employee, but only if the company earns that loyalty.

God Bless Texas...

+1.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
President & CEO here hat

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top