Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 7:23:32 PM EDT
Last update: October 12, 2004 at 4:08 PM
'Blues Brothers' leads Crystal cops on merry chase

Associated Press
October 12, 2004 CHASE1013

Police responding to a report of an Elvis impersonator down with convulsions at a veterans hall soon found themselves in a high-speed chase - of a man dressed as a Blues Brother.

``Man, just when I thought that I had seen everything in this business, you realize you haven't scratched the surface,'' Capt. Dave Oyaas said Tuesday.

According to Oyaas:

Officers were called about 11 a.m. Monday to the Veterans of Foreign Wars hall in this Twin Cities suburb, where they found a man dressed as Elvis on the ground outside. He appeared to be in convulsions.

When the officers arrived, the man stopped, jumped up and yelled ``Viva Las Vegas!'' and began singing show tunes.

``It's one of those things that you stop and scratch your head, and you think that 'Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?''' Oyaas said.

About the same time, two women who were with the impersonator said another man dressed as John Belushi's character in ``The Blues Brothers'' had stolen their Pontiac Sunbird and driven to a nearby commuter airport.

The officers found the man in the car parked between two hangars. That prompted a chase in and out of hangars and runways that reached speeds of 75 mph. Officers finally forced the car to spin out and arrested the man, who suffered a cut on his head.

The men were taken to a hospital for medical exams, but not before the Elvis impersonator sang ``Jailhouse Rock'' for officers, said Oyaas.

Elvis, 27, was sent home, but the 47-year-old Belushi impersonator, who had a canceled driver's license, was being held Tuesday pending formal charges that could include fleeing police and drunken driving. Oyaas said the Elvis impersonator could be charged with disorderly conduct.

The men had been drinking together at the VFW before police arrived. Blood tests will show how much, but Oyaas said, ``I would venture to say quite a bit.''

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5029307.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top