Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 6:53:05 PM EDT
A week ago that's all you heard on the news, now nothing.  Is it going to blow or what?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing you and geologic time aren't getting along too well??
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is that volcano going to erupt or what?

Dude, you live in Ft. Lauderdale. Don't worry about it.

OR

Just pop that zit. No chick is gonna give it up to you if you have a giant pimple on your ass!

HS1
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm kind of digging the whole year of disasters thing.  We need more.  It can't end with just 4 hurricanes.  And we need variety.  I'm going to need a major earthquake and some serious Mississippi flooding as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is it going to blow or what?

Yeah.   Something like that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm kind of digging the whole year of disasters thing.  We need more.  It can't end with just 4 hurricanes.  And we need variety.  I'm going to need a major earthquake and some serious Mississippi flooding as well.

Dude, wtf... how about wishing your disasters on another state... mmkay?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps Mississippi could use a good flushing...

www.drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Actually, the Lava Dome is growing....

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand it may be more of a force than first expected....think of it this way, the longer you wait the bigger the boom.

MT "Reporting in Washington" Pockets

Back to you norman74...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
St. Helens probably won't be so bad even if it does blow.

Rainier will destroy most of Renton and Tacoma when it shrugs, and it's pret' near due.  Say goodbye to Boeing's single-aisle (737/757) plant.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually, the Lava Dome is growing....

Sgatr15

You mean the "loaf"   ?!?!?!?!?!?

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002057355_volcano08m.html

That said, if you'll excuse me . . .
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever happens it’s George Bushes fault!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It is erupting right now.  It is what they call a dome building eruption.  

Things like this will happen over the next 100's of years.  Magma moves to the surface and causes the dome in the center of the crater to grow.  Eventually, it will grow to the point that it will form a new top to the mountain.  

The magma in the PNW is not like the stuff in the mid-Pacific.  It is more like molasses than water.  It doesn't flow as rapidly as the stuff in Hawaii.

It gets up to that dome, hits water/ice and melts it causing steam.  The pressure blows a hole and you see steam and ash explosions.  

It's pretty cool when you think about it.  The Cascades are more or less hernias in the surface of the earth.  This one is actively extruding new material from beneath the surface.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top