Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 6:17:00 PM EDT
I was cruising at the 45 mph speed limit in the rain and was about to enter a 45mph corner. It was raining. I was behind a cop- lol, but I dont think he even noticed me wreck my car. Anyways, I just bought a huge 80lb vise at Harbor Freight, I stuck it in the very rear of the trunk. This weight had a serious affect on my cars handling I came to find out. Ive been though this 50 degree corner several time before, but not with the 80lb counter balance I had behind me. Ok, I enter the corner...alls good. Then my rear tires loose some traction....corrected it, but I still had about a .5 lateral G force on the car, at that time my tires  lost all traction and I lost all control-  no brakes, no steering, no gas to straiten er up. The rear of the car decides it wants to do its own thing and starts to swing around, the car then does a 360 spin and planted its self into the barrier. It was similar to a truckers "Jackknife".  I gotta say that a 45mph a 360 is allot of fun, but not when you cant control it away from big concrete barriers. The cop ahead of me just kept on going. Nobody got hurt, just the front of my car- bumper..etc. After about 20 minutes of dorken around, I see another person do another 360 at the same spot! Then a detective stopped and wrote me a $153 ticket for "speed to fast for conditions"....whatever. Ill take it to court. But the other people didnt get a ticket because their car wasnt damaged! WTF!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks, but at least you are alright.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it possible there could have been a little diesel on the roadway???hint hint??? This could cause you to lose traction very easily....I think you mentioned above you smelled a bit of diesel...hint hint...

Just out of curiousity ...Is you vehicle front-wheel drive?

MT
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
suck! I was in a wreck not too long ago here myself... glad nobody was hurt..good luck with your ticket
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it possible there could have been a little diesel on the roadway???hint hint??? This could cause you to lose traction very easily....I think you mentioned above you smelled a bit of diesel...hint hint...

Just out of curiousity ...Is you vehicle front-wheel drive?

MT

lol, yea. The car is a rear drive, BMW 325is ...my baby is damaged, but she'll be fixed up in no time
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt it was the vice
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont know for certain if it was the vice, but I do know that it did mess with the weight distrobution of the car.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Then my rear tires loose some traction

Loost traction is a terrible thing!

HA! ya got me! I meant...well you know what I meant
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Arizona transplant slide through a right turn into my driver door during our first snow of the year. I was stopped at a red light when he hit me. He was so upset for getting a too fast for conditions citation! You just caused an accident by sliding out of control! How can you argue you were not driving too fast for conditions?!! Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it was German sabotage. Glad you're okay.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont know for certain if it was the vice, but I do know that it did mess with the weight distrobution of the car.

If the car is rear-wheel drive, you'd almost think that extra weight in the back would give it BETTER traction in wet/slippery conditions.  I know my mom always put a sandbag or two in her trunk during the winter, or she's be all over the road when conditions got bad.

I vote diesel or oil spill as well - I can almost smell it from here
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to hear about your accident. How are your tires? Check to see that they aren't bald and are suitable for driving in the rain.

I bought a Ford Lightning today, and its a handful in the rain. Between the pseudo-slicks and the power, she likes to get a little squirrely on me. I'm pretty good at countersteering though.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:12:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
......Then a detective stopped and wrote me a $153 ticket for "speed to fast for conditions"....

You were.

I was behind a cop, I wasnt going fast at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:17:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The 80 pound vice was NOT the problem. You were driving too fast for conditions. Simple as that. I've heard the "I lost control" argument too many times, and EVERY time the driver was going to fast for conditions. Simple as that.
For reference, gas weighs about 6 pounds per gallon (Give or take) so 13 gallons of gas would weigh what your vice weighs. In other words, drive through the corner on near empty, fill up and drive it, thats the difference in weigh. Theres NO WAY the vice played any role in it. Only speed.

Otherwise, glad your ok and hope the car is too damaged.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen a guy spin-out at 45 for no reason... It can happen..

and if it had just started raining all the oil and etc picjed up by the rain may have played a part..
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:59:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've seen a guy spin-out at 45 for no reason... It can happen..

and if it had just started raining all the oil and etc picjed up by the rain may have played a part..

There is a reason. Too fast for conditions!!
Now the catch is, what we percieve as a safe speed can be undermined by unknown conditions. Such as diesel on the road. Without the diesel the speed may have very well been safe nough, but with it.....

So, saying its too fast for conditions doesnt mean I'm implying you were driving like a jackass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Cars are built every day of the week; there is only one of you. Glad that you were not hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top