Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/16/2004 5:10:44 PM EDT
ok, i know a lot of people bullshit and lie on the internet, but this is the god damn truth. i would not make this shit up.

ok, so a friend and i went into the national forest today to do some backpacking and some shooting. the area we were in was completely empty and quiet, so we set up some targets, and as i was unloading my first magazine i hear a bullet whiz by me (i know what it sounds like when you are being shot at), and at first i thought i was hearing things.

i look back at my friend and gave him a look like, 'did you hear that too?', and that second another bullet comes whizzing by between the two of us, and we were about 5 feet a part, then we knew something was up.

so we run off to the side to take cover in back of these rocks. we were both like, 'fuck this - lets get out of here'. so i ran back to get my ammo and case, grabbed it, and sprinted back behind the rocks. well, the second i get back behind the rock, whoever was shooting at us just UNLOADS their fucking magazine at us. all we heard was that distinctive whizzing noise and the rounds hitting the trees around us.

we were scared shitless, to say the least.

so once the rounds stopped for about 30 seconds, we both looked at each other and just took the fuck off running a full sprint out of the woods and back on to the road, which was about 300-400 meters away.

it scared the shit out of me. we didnt know who was shooting at us, where they were, or why they were doing it. needless to say, we will not be going back there to shoot EVER again
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
And the next time I catch you there I won't miss.

You were to close my crop.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

you know, that's what we were thinking. we live in a hippy/drug area, and it would have been a perfect place to grow some crops.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you bother to call the Police or did you run straight back home to tell us first?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Why didn't you shoot back?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you bother to call the Police or did you run straight back home to tell us first?

no, this happened around 4:30. we just went home after that, unloaded our shit, and i went back to my place and fell asleep. i just crashed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you know, that's what we were thinking. we live in a hippy/drug area, and it would have been a perfect place to grow some crops.  

Glad to hear you and your friend were not hurt -- the asshole/s.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Next time put on your ghille and Carlos Hathcock his ass.

Now back to reality, keep us updated that's really fucked up. How many rounds did they shoot? It was semi for sure?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#8]
You heard the bullets wiz by but never the crack of the round being fired??

Come on man?

And did you report this??

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why didn't you shoot back?

we didnt know where they were coming from.

we were on this rocky/mountainous/hill side that had a good little flat area, but there were higher places all to our backs whoever it was could have been.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You do realize it is hunting season, don't you?  Lotsa people running around the hills with rifles.

SRM
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Im sure he didn't know where it was coming from.  My brother and I once got shot at in Nevada...It's not a nice sound at all.  It wasn't too long after that the methhead doing the shooting got his ass kicked.  He's lucky that's all he got!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I am in East Tennessee and I worry about runing into some persons marijuana grove or meth lab. Either of which they have problems with out here and are sometimes booby traped.

Becauses its fall and I am guessing pot is out of it's growing season maybe you ran up on a meth lab. And spooked them so they took shots at you.

I always carry a loaded pistol with me in the woods cus of critters, drug crops and meth labs. But the pistol wouldn't have done you any good at that distance.

Or it may have been some dumbass shooting and not paying attention to his backstop.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, this happened around 4:30. we just went home after that, unloaded our shit, and i went back to my place and fell asleep. i just crashed.

So you expect us to believe that someone fired a full mag or two at you in the woods with the intentions to kill you and you didn't report it to the police??

Uh huh.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So how will you feel when this "sniper" kills somone?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
we heard the shots being fired, but a lot of people shoot in the national forest. just walking in you see shells and casings all over the place. however, we went far away from where people were shooting, and we were at a MUCH higher elevation..

any of you from colorado, stay away from the left hand canyon area...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
first of all, i'm not the type to run to the police. secondly, you people can think im full of shit for all i care, i'm just saying whats up.

i've spoken to members here who go shoot in that area, and even they will say that place is full of crazies.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you expect us to believe that someone fired a full mag or two at you in the woods with the intentions to kill you and you didn't report it to the police??

Uh huh.

SGatr15

+1

sounds a bit fishy.

also, did you just hear the bullets wizz by?

or did you hear a bang afterwards?

mmm fishy
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
first of all, i'm not the type to run to the police.

You're also not on to use the Shift key at the start of your sentances.

How is this running to the police??

When you see a car crash do you just laught and drive on also??

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

i never capitalize either.

big deal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
secondly, what would going to the police solve? a million fucking people go around these parts to shoot. what are the cops going to do, ask who was shooting guns in that area? if you had any idea of how many people go shooting in that area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
secondly, what would going to the police solve? a million fucking people go around these parts to shoot. what are the cops going to do, ask who was shooting guns in that area? if you had any idea of how many people go shooting in that area.

well. if your first thought is correct, calling the police would help find the special happy crop they were trying to scare you from finding.

i say call them, have them burn it.

sounds to me the best way to get back at a pot shot hippy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh huh.

SGatr15

+1

sounds a bit fishy.

also, did you just hear the bullets wizz by?

or did you hear a bang afterwards?

mmm fishy

we were up above a gully where most people do their shooting. however, not only were we above the gully where people were shooting, we were also behind them, since they all shoot at the 'backdrop' of the other side.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in East Tennessee and I worry about runing into some persons marijuana grove or meth lab. Either of which they have problems with out here and are sometimes booby traped.

Becauses its fall and I am guessing pot is out of it's growing season maybe you ran up on a meth lab. And spooked them so they took shots at you.

I always carry a loaded pistol with me in the woods cus of critters, drug crops and meth labs. But the pistol wouldn't have done you any good at that distance.

Or it may have been some dumbass shooting and not paying attention to his backstop.

Dittos on the East TN part. I used to do a lot of grouse hunting up in Anderson county around where Morgan hits it. One year I did stumble onto a dope patch and it had been booby trapped. There was monofiliament line everywhere hanging with fish hooks on it. I had been through the exact same area a week before and did not notice it, but the next week a frost had hit it a few days before and what was left of the plants and all the pots etc. were laying around. It was very spooky and really made me nervous knowing that exactly one week before I had not even noticed it. With dope you really are not safe until after the first decent frost.

It pays to be very observant when out in the "wilds." You never know who or what you may stuble up on.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I sniped some pot-heads with my Beeman R-1 once, they were getting ultra paranoid
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, DUH!
Left Hand Canyon!
That's the drug lab/dope patch/militia/illegal machine gun/hippie squatter section of the woods above Boulder!!!

Boulder, the wacko capital of Colorado.

Could have been anything, or nothing.

Right wing militias? (were you wearing Birkenstocks, perchance?)
Left wing militias? (got a Bush sticker?)
Labs, pot patches, armed transsexual tryste spots, the list is endless...

Not in the least surprised.
Question is, what were YOU doing up there?

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

we were up above a gully where most people do their shooting. however, not only were we above the gully where people were shooting, we were also behind them, since they all shoot at the 'backdrop' of the other side.

If you were above and behind the people shooting then they were probably ricochets. I had a similar experience and we did hear the whizzing over our heads.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#27]
You were shot at & didn't return fire then you don't call the Police?

My brother was shot while he was out in AZ & you can bet he screamed out when when hit!

That set my radar off!

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Shoot back next time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well, DUH!
Left Hand Canyon!
That's the drug lab/dope patch/militia/illegal machine gun/hippie squatter section of the woods above Boulder!!!

Boulder, the wacko capital of Colorado.

Could have been anything, or nothing.

Right wing militias? (were you wearing Birkenstocks, perchance?)
Left wing militias? (got a Bush sticker?)
Labs, pot patches, armed transsexual tryste spots, the list is endless...

Not in the least surprised.
Question is, what were YOU doing up there?

exactly why i would never live in boulder - too many fucking weirdos.

we just go up there to shoot, because a guy i work with said it's a pretty decent place to go and it's free.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Hate to say it, but if they were really shooting at you, they probably would have hit you, or you would have heard impacts real close by, probably ricochets or someone just firing over the backstop. Ricochets sound funky because they are no longer aerodynamic, if they are tumbling they make a horrible sound, they can be moving AWAY from you and they sound scary.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were above and behind the people shooting then they were probably ricochets. I had a similar experience and we did hear the whizzing over our heads.

the opposite side is completely dirt slope. there is nothing hard to richochet off of. plus, we were pretty far away from all of the other guys who were shooting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Was it more than 2 miles? Bullets go REALLY far you know. A .22lr can go a mile and a half, so.... Other bullets can go really far.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#33]
and for all of you who think i am bullshitting about this, think for a second...

if i was bullshitting, this story would have been completely different. instead of my friend and i being fucking scared shitless, we would have been like rambo, laying down suppressive fire, wasting some taliban up in the woods, the police would then have come thanked us for doing the work they never could, given us a fat reward, had the mayor give us the key to city, and top'ed off with bush flying us to the whitehouse for dinner.

no, we had shots coming at us, grabbed our shit, and hauled ass out of there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#34]
The time I heard the ricochets was we were on top of a hill with people below us shooting into a dirt hillside and they were like a good 1000 yds but the bullets ricoched at like a 60º angle from their path and came up and over my car. Even dirt has rocks in it to ricochet off of
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I didn't say you were lying.  I'm just wondering why you didn't tell the cops.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I didn't say you were lying.  I'm just wondering why you didn't tell the cops.

SGatr15

and no, i didn't go to the cops, because i never go to the cops for ANYTHING. i trust them as much as i trust democrats.

plus, i don't need them coming over to my place and shooting my pet hamster because it was "posing a threat to them"
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

and no, i didn't go to the cops, because i never go to the cops for ANYTHING. i trust them as much as i trust democrats.

plus, i don't need them coming over to my place and shooting my pet hamster because it was "posing a threat to them"

Agree.   Don't invite the MAN into your life.  Often, the microscope will be turned on YOU.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Those are called hornets...

MT
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I cannot believe that you left and didnt return with more firepower and some ghillie suits.....I would have for damn sure !
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SGatr15

i never capitalize either.

big deal.

i forget to capitalize,puntuate and uze thr spell checker on occasion myself
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
..... because a guy i work with said it's a pretty decent place to go and it's free.

And now you know why it is free.

Edit To Add:
Why do you think it is called LEFT Hand Canyon?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..... because a guy i work with said it's a pretty decent place to go and it's free.

And now you know why it is free.

been there before? seems like you had some problems there as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I'd lik to think that if I were in that situation I would have reacted differently.

1.  I would not have left the ammo laying on the ground.
2.  I would have assessed the situation to figure out where the shots were coming from.
3.  I would have attempted to use a cell phone to contact the authorities.
4.  I WOULD have layed suppressing fire.  Oh fuck you'd better believe it.  If I knew about where the shots were coming from I'd be returning fire for damn sure.
5.  I would have gotten the hell out of there.
6.  I would have contacted the authorities with the exact location burned into a GPS.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Been there, and was appalled at the fellow primates, no bad experiences, just amazed at *what* owns guns these days.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top