Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 9:52:11 AM EDT
Need to pick up a DVD recorder (I think that's what you call them) to transfer the hours and hours of  home video movies (kids playing soccer, kids playing softball, riding the snowmobiles, etc......you know, family stuff) and put them on disc so they'll last "forever".  

What's the cheapest machine out there that will get the job done?  

Thanks for any help.

vmax84
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
CostCo had a "Go Video" double deck, one VHS and one DVD.  You might look into whether they have a version that records onto DVD;  CostCo always gets the low-end models, and theirs would only record on the VHS side.

You can get the stuff for your computer fairly cheaply (I'd guess $150-$200 for everything), but it'd still be more than an appliance type unit, and the learning curve would be higher.  However, it would be much more versatile  (you could make backups, edit the video, and so on).  If you wanted to go this route, check http://www.anandtech.com/ for their recommendations.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
newegg.com has em for around $60
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You've got a computer don't ya', well, pick up a converter for your VHS and transfer the tapes to your computer then use your DVD burner on your computer to burn em' with. You DO have a DVD burner in your computer system, don't you?  I bought my iMac with the Super Drive so I can burn CD's or DVD's and for about a hundred bucks I can get a box that'll hook to my VHS and let me download to my hard drive, From there it's just a matter of burning to a DVD.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top