Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 8:02:58 AM EDT
going with the H&K P2000 and/or the Sig P229 DAK. Expect a ton of used Berettas on the market soon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF?  Someone is guarding our border?  Could have fooled me.  My neighbors on either side of me are Mexicans, and I'm in freaking Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting rid of those 92D "Big-Ass-dier" pistols, eh?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WTF?  Someone is guarding our border?  Could have fooled me.  My neighbors on either side of me are Mexicans, and I'm in freaking Alaska.

Then I'd be glad your neighbors aren't Canadians.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
yes!!!!!!

what caliber are they going to, .357 sig, 9mm[:

they should get a 1911 in .45, that is made in USA, not some import brand that GUARDs our borders; but i'm cool w/ sig, not sure w/ hk anymore
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Imagine how they feel in Texas and Arizone!  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#6]
a month or so ago there was notice of sig and H&k getting contract awards 25, mil each or so, one of them was lager than the other don't remember the stats. all of HS is getting some. .40, .357 sig, and 9mm.  48, mil i think was the total.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
.40's only from H&k, .357 sig and 9mm from SIGARMS
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont believe the feds will sell there old pistols to the public.  When the Border Patrol went to the Beretta they wouldnt even let the Agents buy there old 357s they chopped them all up.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Are you sure they're Mexicans? If you go more than 30 miles north of the US border, Canada is like Mexico with snow.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Which calibre? .40 or 9mm?

When they negotiate contracts to switch out calibres but not makers, the firearms maker will sometimes take the old pistols back. I doubt it would in this case.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont believe the feds will sell there old pistols to the public.  When the Border Patrol went to the Beretta they wouldnt even let the Agents buy there old 357s they chopped them all up.  

I think they would chop them up also. In the OLD days, when it was okay to sell guns to the public, they would, but in today's PC, they would probably destroy them to prevent another gun from getting into the street. But remember this, your tax money at work. These folks are always pleading poverty, its just a bunch of BS. In reality they have more money than they know what to do with.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]
The new contract I believe if for all of Customs and Border Protection which includes the Border Patrol and Customs.  It looks like Customs who already use Glock 9mm will get Sigs, more than likely in 9mm because they already have a s**t load of 9mm.  I have heard that some of the sigs will be in 357 sig, but that could just be a rumor.  The Border Patrol uses 40 cal Beretta currently and allow agents to carry personally owned H&K usp in 40 cal.  So it would be logical that they would get the H&K in 40.  

But we are talking about the Government so what makes sense
                                          Probably wont happen.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the coast guard was listed as reciepients to some of those weapons too. Port security That is. But they employ some customs too so i guess it all the same.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
The good new is that the Berettas will be released to the general public.

The bad news is they will be converted to manhole covers first (been there, done that!).

Actually, until fairly recently the firearms could be sold (often to the employees who carried them).  Bill Clinton put a stop to that!

Anyway, here’s the deal re the contract:  www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?content=3949

Edited to add:  if I read this correctly, the contracts with H&K and Sig total to a maximum of 130,000 handguns (though the government doesn’t actually have to buy that many).

I’m wondering what affect that’s going to have on commercial supplies?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#15]
IIRC, Sig Arms pistols are made right here in America.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#16]
the contract was for all of the homeland security department, the trials have been going on for a while now and we are getting new gats for all -- ice, ss, uscg, everyone...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:55:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
the contract was for all of the homeland security department, the trials have been going on for a while now and we are getting new gats for all -- ice, ss, uscg, everyone...

I'd like to see some proof of this.  There will never be an across the board weapons change in DHS.  Each agency will still get to regulate their own weapons choices, as they are mission tested.  The secret service will never get told by anyone other than their own department what weapons they carry.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:01:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Now we just gotta convince the Army as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:07:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
IIRC, Sig Arms pistols are made right here in America.

Exeter New Hampshire. P229 and a few other models. Other Sig pistols are made in Germany by Sauer, while Sig is in Switzerland.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:45:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

uh...NO   otherwise prove it
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Getting rid of those 92D "Big-Ass-dier" pistols, eh?

That's 96D "Big-Ass-Dier"  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yup, had to give up my 686, damn, that was a fine weapon.
Don't bet on the Berettas being given up right away, they are still in service, and will be phased out through attrition.
The service life of a Beretta is 10,000 rounds, and there are still a lot in use, I'm currently on my second one and it has 5420 rounds through it, As soon as I burn it up, I'm going to the H&K USP compact in .40 cal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to see some proof of this. There will never be an across the board weapons change in DHS. Each agency will still get to regulate their own weapons choices, as they are mission tested. The secret service will never get told by anyone other than their own department what weapons they carry.

Actually, what will, and to some extent has happened is that there will be an approved list from which an agency can choose.
It's called Appendix 1 in the new firearms policy.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Surpluss them to another fed agency or destroy them. Those are usually the only 2 choices.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, had to give up my 686, damn, that was a fine weapon.
Don't bet on the Berettas being given up right away, they are still in service, and will be phased out through attrition.
The service life of a Beretta is 10,000 rounds, and there are still a lot in use, I'm currently on my second one and it has 5420 rounds through it, As soon as I burn it up, I'm going to the H&K USP compact in .40 cal.

Quoted:

I'd like to see some proof of this. There will never be an across the board weapons change in DHS. Each agency will still get to regulate their own weapons choices, as they are mission tested. The secret service will never get told by anyone other than their own department what weapons they carry.

Actually, what will, and to some extent has happened is that there will be an approved list from which an agency can choose.
It's called Appendix 1 in the new firearms policy.

Any way you can get a hold of the text of "Appendix 1."  I'm interested in reading it.  I'd also like to know what firearms they no longer consider acceptable for federal usage.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I know Billy Clinton put an end to ammo sales to the public, but this is the first time I'd heard that he disallowed selling surplus pistols...anyone have a link?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top