Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 4:56:44 AM EDT
I snarfed the Alizee videos that some of you fine folks have put up on the system.  The one named "Bonita.wmv" is infected with the "MediaTickets uninstaller" trojan.

http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t8079.html

Rather, I should say that "at LEAST the one named Bonita.wmv" is infected.  I don't know if the others are or not.

I killed the process when it popped up its stupid little "you can't kill me, either click yes or no" dialog box (a standard trap of trojans nowadays, so it was obvious), but I don't know if that blocked it from installing or not.

Anyway, I don't really care since the only reason I was running Windows was to watch the video in .wmv format (why not use something that doesn't require MS-Windows, guys?), and I was running it on my "potentially contaminated downloads" drive, not on the one that has my good stuff on it.  Normally (like now) I'm running Morphix, and it isn't affected or infected by this sort of crap.

But I figured I'd let you fine folks know, since the thread is up to fifteen pages and who knows how many views.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
All ok when I tried it. No viri.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe you already had it.  Or maybe you just didn't notice.

All I know is, my Win2K installation was clean before this.  It is a scratch drive for anything potentially contaminated off the internet;  the HD with my "real" Win2K installation is unplugged and in the closet.  I regularly wipe it using the Norton Ghost image that I made upon installing Win2K, SP4, and the various programs that I use regularly.

I downloaded the video at what would have been around 4am Eastern time, then ran off to do some work.

I got back from work and decided to run it at about 8:30am Eastern time.

I double-clicked the video, and WMP told me that it didn't have the right codec available.

I plugged in the ethernet and double-clicked the video again.

WMP downloaded the codec, and a dialog box popped up the message "Run MediaTickets uninstaller now?" with only a yes and a no option, no way to click the little "x" at the upper right (grayed out).

I unplugged the ethernet cable, killed the process that said it was for the "uninstaller", and watched the video.  (WTH, I'll wipe the drive regardless, that's what Norton Ghost is for.)

I then rebooted with Morphix, looked up the message on the net, and found the above webpage reference.

Now, I really don't care if all of your computers fry and burn, but maybe you do, so maybe if you've downloaded that particular video and watched it, you might think about checking.  They're your boxes, and your responsibility.  Maybe you have antivirus/antispyware software that will take that crap out no problemo, which is fine.  If not, you might actually want to check out your drives instead of just saying "gee, it worked for me".  But as I say, it's your call, and I really don't give a rat's ass.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
So what you're saying is that you were hanging out with the nubile young girl and got an infection?

Define irony.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#4]
"Maybe you already had it. Or maybe you just didn't notice."

No, im saying I got NO viri from that vid. My system is clean. Maybe you already had it or didnt notice, or just happned to get it someplace else form that vid. I didnt. Sorry to hear though. Viri sucks.

Also could have been from a bad codec since it for sure happened after you downloaded the codec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top