Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 3:23:26 AM EDT
So what do you think? I think this would make a good all purpose HD gun. 10 or 20 round mags, shorter than a rem 870, easy to handle. The only problem I worry about is the reliability with the gas system and FTE/FTFs. Anybody have any experience with this thing. I dont need to be convinced about using a diffent gun. I have a few to choose from. It's really just a excuse so I can get it, But I would like to know about its reliability/ your experiences.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Reliability and function using high brass OO buck as the manufacturer recommends has been 100 percent.  Do NOT use low recoil tactical or  birdshot. This caused me great consternation at Gunstock last year.

You do realize the gun with a loaded 20 rd. drum weighs approx. 13 lbs., right ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep it unloaded and use it for a club. I would put the reliability at about 70% for the best one ever made. They are fun at the range but have no business in a armory. The only thing worse then trying to use this weapon for defense would be trying to use it for offense.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything that shotgun can do, your carbine will do better.  (for home defense)

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anything that shotgun can do, your carbine will do better.  (for home defense)

+1
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It's classified as a DD, and you'll need a special license for it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the ASAS classified as a destructive device? Or did that go by the wayside with the AWB sunset.

CW
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't the ASAS classified as a destructive device? Or did that go by the wayside with the AWB sunset.

CW

They are, as are Streetsweepers.

Only if it's post-1986. Pre-86 and all it requires is a Form 4 and the BATF to do it's "thing."
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

Only if it's post-1986. Pre-86 and all it requires is a Form 4 and the BATF to do it's "thing."

Are you talking about a full-auto variant?  The semiauto was "reclassified" by Bentsen in 1992, and the year doesn't matter -- whenever it was made, it's a DD and has to go through the full Class III process.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Overkill. Literally.

Picture what the press (and possibly your local police) would do to you if you used one for "home defense....they would twist perp into the victim.

No need to over-complicate home defense when a basic shotgun, carbine, etc. will do just fine.

Scott

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CW

You really want to lose a relatively rare and unreplaceable weapon to an evidence storage locker for years and possibly forever if you DO use it? Sure, a life saved  cannot be measured against the  value of a weapon, but I would want to use something replaceable if possible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO I would go get a Mossberg M-590 with the bayonet lug BECAUSE YOU CAN. I have this as my home defense weapon. I keep it loaded slug -buck-slug-buck. I have s mag light mounted on it with the light adjusted to the pattern of the buck. All you do is shine the light on them a fire away.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#12]

I keep it loaded slug -buck-slug-buck.

Is this some kind of ammuntion feng shui?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you talking about a full-auto variant?

Specifically, yes, I was. However, on the semi variant, you are right. Year does not matter.

Quoted:

You really want to lose a relatively rare and unreplaceable weapon to an evidence storage locker for years and possibly forever if you DO use it? Sure, a life saved  cannot be measured against the  value of a weapon, but I would want to use something replaceable if possible.

Well, on the bright side, there wouldn't be much evidence left.

"Chief, we got there and there, it was holes with some body on it."
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I keep it loaded slug -buck-slug-buck.

Is this some kind of ammuntion feng shui?

I was wondering about that.  I once knew a guy who loaded the mags for his 9mm carry pistol FMJ-HP-FMJ, so he could have both penetration and expansion available.

I don't really think slugs are too terribly applicable in a home defense situation, unless you have to chase the perp outside and destroy his vehicle or something.  I keep a 590 as well, but all I've got in the tube are 00 tac loads.  I've got two slugs and three beanbags on the sidesaddle to take care of eventualities.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, I do the same thing, too.

It's always nice to have multiple capabilities in one magazine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
They use them on Stargate sg1 so they must be good
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They use them on Stargate sg1 so they must be good

REALLY?! Huh, I'll have to watch it more often, then.

I've always really wanted to see one in action. Just too bad MacGuyver is more of an anti-gun loon than Kerry is (and the guy has fired several thousand rounds on the show, probably).
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]

I don't really think slugs are too terribly applicable in a home defense situation

I use them against the deer that keep breaking into my house.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
The Saiga 12 is this years model.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top