Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 11:02:55 PM EDT
I've been seeing a lot of news stories on disabled vets coming back home from Afghanistan/Iraq, having had legs and/or arms amputated because of injuries.

Anyways, I got to thinking about ARFCOM always trying to help out brothers-in-arms... Could perhaps a donation for a soldier(s) be done to buy them a prosthesis? I do not know if the U.S. government pays for all costs (and don't forget, prosthesis are in high demand right now, so some soldiers could be going without them).

If not buy a soldier in need a prosthesis, is there any other way we could help them out?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure the .gov is setting them up with really expensive ($50k-60k) prosthesis.  Quite a few of the guys will be able to return to active duty.  If they are too hurt to return to duty the it's a good opportunity to get some additional education and look for a gov job--the gov gives a 10 point preference to wounded vets and that is a huge advantage for hiring.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:13:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that is a huge leg up for hiring.

GunLvr

Employers get a tax break for hiring disabled peoples, especially disabled vets.

Also, anti-discrimination laws help disabled peoples too. Although, not all the time, because discrimination still continues in the workplace.

EDIT: I think GunLvr is pointing out an unintentional pun...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Is there something wrong with giving a break to someone who left a major piece of them on some foreign battlefield?

I don't think so.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I doubt the pun was intended.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

Is there something wrong with giving a break to someone who left a major piece of them on some foreign battlefield?

I don't think so.

I think he is trying to point out the irony or pun in the statement...

prosthesis, leg up, you figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
EDIT: I think GunLvr is pointing out an unintentional pun...

I'm really sorry about that.  I didn't intend a pun at all.  I'll correct my post above.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top