Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:50:36 PM EDT
ok, I've got some serious questions here concerning how on earth Tokyo Mauri gets away with this.  Friend of mine was showing me his new suppressor for his airsoft gun.
http://cs.wwc.edu/~johnza/images/TM/side.jpg
no big deal right?  I've seen fake cans before. But, I saw some more detailed pictures.....
http://cs.wwc.edu/~johnza/images/TM/back3.jpg
and then I saw it come apart...
http://cs.wwc.edu/~johnza/images/TM/back1.jpg
http://cs.wwc.edu/~johnza/images/TM/back2.jpg
I then enquired as to what material this can was made of, and dug around, and the company describes it as being "aircraft grade aluminum".  Now, I know "aircraft" grade is bit of a buzzword being used, but if it is indeed 6063-T6 or 7075-T6 aluminum alloy, thats pretty significan't.  As I said my friend ownes one, so I asked for some meassurements.  The mainbody wall is 2mm total and is two layers, it has a total length of 205mm,  and the base cap has a threading of 14mm  LH.  the end cap is also 2mm thickness and are threaded as you can see there with 1mm threads.  I showed these images and information to a good friend of mine who's a mechanical engineer.  And he said that with those foam inserts, and just the metal body, that thing would suppress a .22 rather well, and if it were 6063 or 7075, you could machine thicker endcaps and it'd suppress 9mm.  And as some of you are aware.  14mmx1 LH thread is standard on most AKs and barrel threading kits can be had from dyna systems for around 65 dollars.  I know that the alphabet gang said suppressors for paintball and airguns was a no no because they were "readily convertable".  So I ask, how on earth do they get away with this?  I dug into it a bit, and what I found was that since airsoft guns have less than 1.36 jeouls of energy output they are not classed as a airgun, and fall into the catagory of "toy"  so these things are manufactured in asia and imported as "toy accessories".  Does the ATF just not know about these things? or what? I'm tempted to apply for a form 1 and register one just to see what they say.  Seriously guys, I'm confused as hell about this.  

------------------
"Remember kids, if there's a loaded gun in the room, be sure that you're the one holding it" -- Captain Combat
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it would be illegal here
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
There has been discussion in the Airsoft community about the legality of the things. It's anyone's guess. But I wouldn't put something like that on one of my guns.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother has one for one of his airsoft weapons (for a TM VSR10 I think the model is, it's slightly different from the one pictured).  The shell is made of metal, not sure what kind but it seems pretty solid.  The foam inside looks to just be standard foam in sections, and it has little plastic caps/dividers that go in between each foam peice (about 4-5 pieces filling the entire suppressor).  

I would think a real firearm would melt/set ablaze the foam, and probably the divider things.  The body itself is a fairly decent metal, along with the end cap.  I think the body would stand up to so some real use, but maybe I underestimate the forces that will act on it...

I bet you could thread it on a .22 of some kind and have a functioning suppressor, for a few shots anyway before the junk inside melted...  Pack it with whatever is supposed to be used on the real deal and I bet it would be a decent can for mild use on some lighter calibers, but who knows, I'm not about to try it...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to have one,,,,,for my airsoft I mean, but I'd like to make some modifications
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Do they make one with the same threads as an AR?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top