Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 4:54:58 PM EDT
I have just been ripped off by a guy on eBay. Yeah, I know I’m mot the first but I would like some advice on how to nail this guy. Looking at his buyer feedback I know I'm not the first. I ordered this DVD and after three weeks of waiting I put I a claim with Paypal because it had not shown up. I tried to contact him 3 times but no response. Well it shows up to day and it an obvious bootleg. It does not work on my computer or my DVD player. Besides getting my money back I want to make sure this stops. How do I proceed?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man at first I thought this thread would be about a redneck in a souped up ford model T running over the state line to get away from johnny law and sell his hooch.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What was it and what was his name? The easiest way to make it stop is to post his name and everyone with ebay accounts can complain to ebay that he is selling unauthorized material.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a DVD called "Caro's Pro Poker Tells". The guy who is selling this shit has the user name of nextix. If you look at his feed back you can see that he is ripping people off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it a DVD-r or something? If you paid by paypal just do a chargeback and forget about it. Or you can report him to ebay.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, it must be a DVD-r.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It was a DVD called "Caro's Pro Poker Tells". The guy who is selling this shit has the user name of nextix. If you look at his feed back you can see that he is ripping people off.

Most people check feedback before bidding.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks to me like there was a legit video and people have made dvd copies because other people are selling the exact same thing. The pic of the cover looks photoshopped to me because nobody uses a white block DVD logo like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
got linkage to the auction.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I should have checked. his
Item number: 5923641368
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I tried looking online for other places that sell the similar thing and I couldnt find any.

Could it be possible that its only availble in cheap quasi bootleg editions.

Much like the original Star Wars films on DVD. Which btw are > the new star wars dvds.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Try a froogle search.  I found several sites selling it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what it was supposed to be:

DVD @ Cardplayer.com

I looked closer at the DVD and it's a DVD-R 4X
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Oh man at first I thought this thread would be about a redneck in a souped up ford model T running over the state line to get away from johnny law and sell his hooch.

You dun been talking about my grandpa.  You best be getting now, ya hear?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#15]
EBay's "feedback" is useless.  I left negative feedback for someone who ripped me off -- she decided, after receiving and cashing my postal money order, that the auction hadn't gone high enough to be worth what she was selling, so she refused to ship, refused to reply to my emails, and refused to return my cals.

I left negative feedback.  Two months later, I look, and EBay has deleted my negative feedback.  She now has a perfect rating again.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Or maybe about just a couple of good ol' boys,
never meaning no harm
Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born.
Straightenin' the curves, flattenin' the hills...
Someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never will.
Makin' their way, the only way they know how...
That's just a little bit more than the law will allow.
Just two good ol' boys, wouldn't change if they could,
Fightin' the system like two modern-day Robin Hoods...

Yeehaw?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I quit buying non-movie DVD's on ebay because every last one I've bought has been a copy.  I paid $15 for the AGI gunsmith videos for the AR-15 and 10/22, and both were DVD-R copies.  The same for the Wilson Combat 1911 one as well.

The only one worth anything was the building the AR-15 from a 0% forging by Roderus Gun Works, but that's because Frank Roderus makes them DVD's himself and sells them through ebay.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have just been ripped off by a guy on eBay. Yeah, I know I’m mot the first but I would like some advice on how to nail this guy. Looking at his buyer feedback I know I'm not the first. I ordered this DVD and after three weeks of waiting I put I a claim with Paypal because it had not shown up. I tried to contact him 3 times but no response. Well it shows up to day and it an obvious bootleg. It does not work on my computer or my DVD player. Besides getting my money back I want to make sure this stops. How do I proceed?

MMM...Tip to the Copyright Div of the FBI??
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#19]

I'm thinking about it? Do you think they would even care?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:09:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm thinking about it? Do you think they would even care?

Yes.

I've known 2 people in the town that have had search warrants/etc served on their houses for selling copywrited material on Ebay.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Contact both your local police department and the police department in his area. File mail fraud charges. Contact the FBI for copyright infringement. KEEP ALL RECORDS AND EMAILS. Contact Ebay about copyright infringement (They wont do shit). Your best bet is the mail fraud option. Thats a pretty serious charge that they may actually follow up on. See if you can get ahold of other people he has ripped off and have them file charges too. His case will be taken more seriously if 30 people file charges then if one files charges.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I have never --- never   seen a bigger collection of snitches and call the popo people before in my life.

You got burned over the INTERNET -- surprised ???  Shouldn't be !

Get over it. JMO
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have never --- never   seen a bigger collection of snitches and call the popo people before in my life.

You got burned over the INTERNET -- surprised ???  Shouldn't be !

Get over it. JMO

So if you got burned you wouldnt care?

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:27:49 AM EDT
[#24]
The bigger question begs ----

If the CD worked would he be so anxious to call the Federals and complain that it was a boot leg disk ???

No I would chalk it up to experience.

Edit: He obviously is a gambler -- he gambled and lost.

He would be better off e mailing the guy and asking for another disk
those -R disks are notorious for failures in copying.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If the CD worked would he be so anxious to call the Federals and complain that it was a boot leg disk ???

OK, say he learned his lesson. What about the next guy? Contact Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:41:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I say report it, if its bootleg and Im paying the bootleg price Id feel about diffrent.

$30 isnt cheap in my book, if Im getting it out of the trunk of a car or at the flea market where I can see its a bootleg and Im paying $5 Im considering the chance it wont work.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:00:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
EBay's "feedback" is useless.  I left negative feedback for someone who ripped me off -- she decided, after receiving and cashing my postal money order, that the auction hadn't gone high enough to be worth what she was selling, so she refused to ship, refused to reply to my emails, and refused to return my cals.

I left negative feedback.  Two months later, I look, and EBay has deleted my negative feedback.  She now has a perfect rating again.

Postal Money Order, cashed and didn't deliver the goods.  I'll bet you can find Postal Inspectors, Federal Attorneys that may be interested in that, kinda called MAIL FRAUD.

If she is still advertising, go to one of her current acuctions in tha Ask seller a question send her an e-maul that unless you get your materials ASAP you are filing Mail Fraucd charges.

See if that get's her attention.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Postal Money Order, cashed and didn't deliver the goods.  I'll bet you can find Postal Inspectors, Federal Attorneys that may be interested in that, kinda called MAIL FRAUD.

If she is still advertising, go to one of her current acuctions in tha Ask seller a question send her an e-maul that unless you get your materials ASAP you are filing Mail Fraucd charges.

See if that get's her attention.

Nope.  The "mail fraud" and "postal inspector" stuff is basically urban legend.  The USPS doesn't give a damn. If the operation is really big -- like the high school kid in California who scammed a couple of million dollars off EBay customers that way -- the FBI might get involved, but for one woman who ripped off one guy of sixty bucks, they won't do anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
He obviously is a gambler -- he gambled and lost.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#30]
The ad does say: "This DVD is brand-new, sealed and normally retails for $59.95."

The implication is that it was factory new and sealed.

He meant to say it was a brand new DVD-R disk, new-just copied, and then sealed by him in a baggy.

I'd go after him on ebay just because he's a dick and ripped you off.  Don't expect any results, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Poker has become somewhat popular lately and this guy this taking advantage to people. All I want to do is keep him from ripping off more people. I know the chance of me getting my money back is slim to none. However, just because it is a DVD about gambling doesn't mean that I deserved to get ripped off. I'm sure if it was some AR related thing you wouldn't be so quick to say that. Finally one more thing about gambling; in a gamble there is chance that you might win. Since there was no chance that this was the real DVD, or that it was going to work, I had no chance to come out the winner.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poker has become somewhat popular lately and this guy this taking advantage to people. All I want to do is keep him from ripping off more people. I know the chance of me getting my money back is slim to none. However, just because it is a DVD about gambling doesn't mean that I deserved to get ripped off. I'm sure if it was some AR related thing you wouldn't be so quick to say that. Finally one more thing about gambling; in a gamble there is chance that you might win. Since there was no chance that this was the real DVD, or that it was going to work, I had no chance to come out the winner.

I wish you no  -------- bad things. Good luck and may you work it out to your satisfaction.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck em all, Egay can go to hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top