Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 3:47:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Last thing I'd do in my life is fire that stuff in one of my guns. I value my life so I'd pass...  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You can bet every round you get is a dud, has been dropped on the ground, or both.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Only ammo I would leave would be duds, and most duds are low qualty (amerc and similar).

I expect you'll probaly end up selling alot at the scrap.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the powder disposed of properly (burned in small piles),

Has anyone heard of dumping the pulled power in your garden? as fertilizer?

It's base is Nitrogen and Oxygen.

Any experiences with doing this?

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of lazy folks leave good ammo on the ground.  The only thing that makes me nervous is other  folks reloads.

You have any 10mm left over, let me know!!

I have a registered Thompson that I will fire ANYTHING in (.45acp), even crappy reloads.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Just curious, how do you propose to tell the difference between factory loads & reloads??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It might have oxygen and nitrogen in it, but that doesn't mean that it will break down and be useful.  I don't think it would do any good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
You have a lot of exercise to look forward to.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree in spreading waste smokeless powder on your lawn as fertilizer.Don't know for a fact but suspect there are trace chemical additives that you might not want in your veggie garden/veggies.Something to think about.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Burn the powder in LARGE piles, not small ones!  Don't use it for fertilizer.  Real fertilizer is cheap enough.

So burn the powder and scrap the brass.  You should pull in some pretty decent money selling the brass.  Let us know how much you get for it and how many pounds you wind up scrapping.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep in mind some of that stuff may have gotten wet.

I’d probably try shooting it myself.  But I wouldn’t do any rapid fire shooting with it, nor would I put it in a really good firearm.

And, like you, I certainly wouldn’t shoot someone else’s reloads.

I’ve scattered unwanted gunpowder out on the ground with no ill effects that I’m aware of.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Let me know if you need help!  Any .380 or .40 S&W premium rounds would be appreciated---and payed for.  I think some here are jealous of your good fortune to come across all this free stuff.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont think it weighs that much
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Dump the pull down powder everywhere you want a green spot, or just scatter it wildly.

This is a time honored tradition for getting rid of unwanted powder without burning.  On the other hand, a little pyro activity might be instructional, too!

I got a big bucket of 5.56 one time - with a cursory glance, the cartridges looked okay, but when I started to sort it, every single round had a large to huge dent in the case.  You'll get sick of disassembling that much ammo long before you are done, and it will take far longer than a week two hours at a time if you want to salvage the bullets.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just curious, how do you propose to tell the difference between factory loads & reloads??

one of the bennies of being a reloader for over 10 years is you've almost seen it all and pick up quite a bit of ammunition forensic knowledge.

Telling a reload from a factory load isn't all that hard.  Some clues if a round is reload:

1) if the factory round has a gold colored primer and the primer is silver, it might be a reload. Federal 9mm ammo has gold colored primers for instance.

2) if it's a military surplus round or bulk fmj round it might have a primer sealant on it, a reloader typically wont seal their primers

3) look for bullet that typically wouldnt be on the cartridge case, e.g. a  Speer Gold Dot bullet on a Winchester case

4) look at the finish of the round, it's dirty, probably a reload who's reloader didn't tumble it to polish the brass.  If shiny but rough finish,  leans towards factory round.  A reloader will usually use a tumbler to clean their brass and it gives a different finish than the factory finish, it's more satin like -  duller but smoother

5) and autoloading rounds you should be able to see an extractor or multiple extractor marks, one for each time it's been fired.

6) look for a swaged primer pocket, if the brass was once fired military, chances are the primer pocket had to be reamed or swaged to take the military crimp out.

7) for .223 rounds, look to see if the mouth of the case is flat and smooth rather than crinkly-cut like winchester white box .223 ammo, that indicates it's been trimmed.

8)  seating depth is another clue, take 2 9mm FMJ rounds, a factory and a reloaded round, chances are the reloaded round wont be the same OAL as the factory round.

If I thought about it some more I could come up with more clues
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've done it many times.

Powder is excellent fertilizer.  No problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nobody reloads Blazers.   Any live Blazer is presumed safe to shoot.

Silvertips,  same deal.  You can't get the Silvertip bullet as a component.

You can get silvertips as components

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/components/handgunbullets.aspx
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Yes, powder contains nitrates, which IS fetilizer.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as I know ALL factory ammo has gold primers, excluded the Black Hills Reman. Ammo.

Any other companies remanufacture ammo?  I'd flee from the silver primers anyways, shoot gold... because I dont think they sell gold primers anywhere.  I could be wrong... correct me if I am.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Last thing I'd do in my life is fire that stuff in one of my guns. I value my life so I'd pass...  

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting, I guess I havent ever reloaded Winny primers.  Thats odd, I thought I was a diverse fellow

Oh well, my plan is shot to hell.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Praise the Lord and pass the ammo...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Winchester primers are indeed gold.   Brass, to be exact.  CCIs are nickel plated, last I checked,
and I haven't ever used Federal primers other than shotshell primers, so no idea there.

CJ

You made me check on the gold Winchester primers, yeah, the new ones in the blue box are gold colored.

I have a stockpile of the older kind in the white box with the orange stripe on them.  They're silver or nickle colored

Here's a pic of some of my .223 reloads I posted a couple days ago under General-Reloading

http://tacoma4x4.no-ip.com/AR15s/223reload03.JPG

Those are Winchester Small Rifle primers, silver colored.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have some old CCI primers in the Plastic Boxes of Death.  (The old ones where they're packed in little plastic trays with ten rows in them and in those rows, ten primers are touching each other, side by side.  Gotta be 70's vintage!)

Nope, those were from the 80's, I still have many of them left. And they still perform like they were bought today! Never an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top