Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 3:12:08 PM EDT
Three Arrested In Shooting of New Jersey Policeman

Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Police have arrested three suspects in the shooting of a city police officer last weekend.

The three are charged with shooting Officer Eduardo Patinho, who was hit in the face and shoulder by gunfire while checking on a report of shots fired in the area. Maybe he assumed it was recreational target shooting or fireworks?

Officials scheduled a 2 p.m. news conference Thursday to formally announce the arrests. No details were immediately available.

He underwent surgery at University Hospital shortly afterward, and was able to write out an account of the shooting, officials said. His condition was not immediately available Thursday morning.

Patinho and his partner, Officer Kimberly Gasavage, had been checking on a report of gunshots when they came across a stolen Jaguar, police said.

The Jaguar led the officers on a chase that ended when the car stalled and its four occupants fled, firing at least two shots at police, authorities said.

Two of the suspects were picked up by a stolen Subaru, which later was found abandoned.

A short time after the shooting, police found a cab driver who had been fatally shot. Authorities said it was not clear whether the incidents were linked.

Patinho was the fifth Newark law enforcement officer shot in the line of duty since July 1.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn. I've got a cousin who is a cop in New Jersey.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
From the sound of the article, he was the one out of five who was doing honest duty.  In NJ, they generally deserve it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Make that 6 cops in NJ as of today..............

Willingboro cop, (Officer Rogers?) was shot in the leg while investigating a check cashing alarm early in the morning on Friday, the 15th of Oct.

(But we sheeple in NJ are safe in this crime free utopia!)

RW3
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
NJ is the east coasts shit hole.  Anything bad that can happen, happens in Jersey.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
At least they have a safer job than long line fishermen and high steel workers.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Good thing New Jersey has such strict gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Note that it was the fifth _Newark_ officer - that's not a statewide statistic, it is just the city of Newark.

Newark borders the town I live in. I commute through Newark.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good thing New Jersey has such strict gun laws.

I just don't understand how these shootings can happen.  You need to be fingerprinted in NJ and undergo a background check to even buy BB's in NJ.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
At least they have a safer job than long line fishermen and high steel workers.  

Heheheh. I like you, 5-0, so I'm going to keep mouth shut on this one.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top