Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 3:07:01 PM EDT
Woman Who Stabbed Officer May Get Out Of Jail On Bond

POSTED: 4:58 p.m. EDT October 14, 2004
UPDATED: 4:58 p.m. EDT October 14, 2004

Story by wftv.com

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. -- A surprise decision by a Brevard County judge has the victim and her fellow officers outraged. A woman who attacked a Cocoa police officer and stabbed her multiple times could be back on the streets Thursday night. Police are saying the judge set the bond too low.

Nancy Gordon spent the last year and a half in a mental hospital. Now that she's been found competent to stand trial for the attack, a judge has opened the door to set her free.

Officer Ladie Ripoll is stuck on light duty until she can prove she's capable of handling the physical demands of being on the street again. Her life and career was altered by Gordon.

"I will be disabled for the rest of my life because of what she did to me," says Ripoll.

On September 11, 2003, Ripoll says Gordon went after her for no reason and, in an apparent psychotic rage, stabbed her multiple times, virtually slicing off her thumb and cutting through a major artery.

Gordon has not yet stood trial for the crime. Up until last month, she was in a mental facility. But, now that she has been found competent, Judge Warren Burk is allowing her to post bond and go home with only a promise she will take medication for a mental disorder.

Ripoll says she was shocked. "They are relying on a promise that she made to the judge, her promise."

Police believe she was off her medication when the original attack occurred and they say the $10,000 bond is too low considering the crime. Ripoll's fellow officers wanted to tell Judge Burke why they felt she was still a danger, but the judge wouldn't allow them to testify.

Ripoll believes she's still a threat. "I'm hoping it won't happen to another police officer or a civilian."

It would be rare for victims or witnesses to testify at a bond hearing. We were not able to get hold of Judge Burke to explain why he made his decision.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Cop should have ventilated her and rid society of her worthless ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top