Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 1:02:54 PM EDT
A friend of mine was telling me of a large cache of vintage weapons found recently in some foreign country. Apparently this cache is huge. And is now for sale. Does anyone know about this?

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
probably the shipment of SAR-1's that got hung up in Spain
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
What fits this bill most closely is the last couple years of 59/66 Yugo SKSs.

Don't believe the 'found' marketing.  What is 'found' is an offical willing to unload the racks for currency and an approved import sheet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That cache of 1850 - 1880's vintage brit stuff found in Nepal?

Martinis, muzzle loading cannon, and whatnot.  It's been written about in the American Rifleman and on several boards.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought you were talking about the typical ar15.com member.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I was wondering where I left all that sh!t....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Big military arsenal found in Nepal. There was a write up about it in American
Rifleman in August. The weapons were brought to the US, inventoried and
cleaned. They are available from several distributors.

www.nrapublications.org/tar/Nepal.asp
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting...  I could go for a Martini Henry Sargents Carbine...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That cache of 1850 - 1880's vintage brit stuff found in Nepal?

Martinis, muzzle loading cannon, and whatnot.  It's been written about in the American Rifleman and on several boards.

Go to the Atlanta Cutlery site, I read about it first  when they sent me a catalog.  They're selling some of it there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Just what I want.........not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would LOVE a nice Martini-Henry.

It's definitely up there in the "coolest rifle ever" contest.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would LOVE a nice Martini-Henry.

It's definitely up there in the "coolest rifle ever" contest.

Is it at ALL possible to get ammo for those Martini-Henrys, and Snyders thet are selling?
I believe they are .450 and .557 (or something like that)

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Old Western Scrounger sells 577/450 ammo. Only problem is, they make it from Brazilian CBC brand 24 gauge shotgun shells. Berdan primed, and they blow primers all the time. This was a few years ago, things may have changed.

Your best bet is to make it yourself. Not cheap, and the M/H isn't noted for accuracy. You will have to mess around a bit to find a load that shoots well.

As to the Nepal imports, I've heard it's a crapshoot, with the emphasis on crap. I wouldn't buy one mail order. If you want one, handle a couple first. FWIW, the two Nepali M/H's I've seen didn't look that bad, but God knows what you will find under the forend. Watch the breechblock, it should sit proud of the frame when the trigger is pulled, if not, you can get some blowback.

If you can find one of the M/H's converted to .303, you'll like it a lot more.

And if your are not hung up on the whole "Zulu" thing, buy a Trapdoor. They're a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot, and will shoot rings around a M-H.

G
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, It is possible to get the ammo for the 577-450 and the .577 Synder. The cartridges are loaded with black powder. It is rare to find it pre-loaded, however. Most folks who shoot these rifles make there own ammo and cast there own bullets.

Here is a place to get brass and bullet molds for the Martini:
http://www.oldyoti.com/moulds.htm

I load Black Powder Cartridge for my Trapdoor Springfield. This gets addictive. I got into bullet casting doing this. There is something neat about shooting a 114 year old gun.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]

WHAT!???!!!?? Whao, ... who, they found my cache???????

Huh???

What?????

Oh man, you had me going there for a minute.  Whew!  

(I gotta reading more than the title of threads before I post)  

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#15]
There were cannons in the Nepalese armory that date back to the American Revolution, or earlier.  There is at least one cannon with Katerhine the Great's seal, and several Napoleonic cannons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top