Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 9:23:04 AM EDT

Kerry Campaign Letter to Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (link)

October 15, 2004

David D. Smith

President and CEO

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.

10706 Beaver Dam Road

Hunt Valley, Maryland 21030

Re: "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal"

Dear Mr. Smith:

I am writing on behalf of Senator John Kerry and Kerry-Edwards 2004, Inc. Press reports indicate that the stations operated by the Sinclair Broadcast Group plan to air a program entitled "Stolen Honor: Wounds That Never Heal" later this month. See, e.g., Howard Kurtz & Frank Ahrens, Family's TV Clout in Bush's Corner, THE WASHINGTON POST, Oct. 12, 2004, at A1; Elizabeth Jensen, Conservative TV Group to Air Anti-Kerry Film, LOS ANGELES TIMES, Oct. 9, 2004, at A1. This program constitutes an attack on Senator Kerry by supporters of President Bush. It was not produced by Sinclair, nor by any reputable journalistic organization. It is our understanding that Sinclair plans to air this program during hours when entertainment programming is normally provided on its stations.

The legality of Sinclair's attempt to broadcast this program has already been called into serious legal question. The Democratic National Committee recently filed a complaint with the Federal Election Commission pointing out that Sinclair's airing of the program constitutes an illegal corporate-funded "electioneering communication." As the DNC correctly notes, the broadcast does not qualify for the exemption afforded to news stories under federal campaign finance law and thus would constitute an illegal corporate expenditure.

<snip>

Section 315(a) of the Communications Act was intended to prevent the licensee of a broadcasting station using the public airwaves to use that facility to promote one candidate for public office over another. The FCC in Zapple recognized that Congress's intent could be frustrated by stations that aired programs featuring supporters of one candidate instead of the candidate himself or herself. See RTNDA, 184 F.3d at 884 n.10. If Sinclair does air this program in which supporters of President Bush attack Senator Kerry, it must provide a similar opportunity for Senator Kerry's supporters. Please consider this a request that each Sinclair station that airs the documentary provide supporters of the Kerry-Edwards campaign with a similar amount of time on that station before the election at a time where an audience of similar size can be expected to be viewing the station. Please contact me or have a representative of each station do so in order to schedule an appearance by supporters of Senator Kerry.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#1]
they will air it anyway. fuck the dnc
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:34:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Just turn on the nightly news afterward-- Voila, equal time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
What's funny is that letters like these only achieve one thing:

More ratings.

(Milwaukee area times)
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
OK , After Hours with Scarborough  and the faggot Reagan Jr is a nightly hour and a half of left wing programming. That is just one example.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be ashamed to side with such crybabies who have no problem dishing out anti-Bush propaganda but cry uncle when it's given back to them in turn.

Fucking Democrats.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Dear Senator Kerry,

Go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,
Sinclair Broadcasting

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dear Senator Kerry,

Go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,
Sinclair Broadcasting

+1,000,000

rn45,
I'm astonished at your eloquence.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dear Senator Kerry,

Go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,
Sinclair Broadcasting

+1,000,000

rn45,
I'm astonished at your eloquence.

Mr Wordsmith, that's me...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
So it sound to me like Ferinhype{sp/} should have to be aired as well just to catch up with all the Left bs we've been here for the last few months.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
But they better hope Kerry doesn't get elected!

Chad Clanton the new Alex P. Keeton
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Anybody see Nightline last night?  

Here is the wmv video stream (excuse the liberal link)

Enjoy using a little Lefty bandwidth
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey, if George Soros can pump tens of millions of dollars into this election to air MoveOn.org ads, then there is absolutely no reason why Sinclair can't show a documentary that highlights sKerry's true character.  It's time that sKerry reap the fruits of his labor.

I predict that Sinclair will actually get pretty good ratings from this thing.  I plan to watch it if it is airing in my area.  I bet even a lot of the leftist wackos will watch it just to get their panties in more of a wad.

F- sKerry!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top