Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:36:19 AM EDT
It all started with a bet last July over many beers while I was on vacation in Hilton Head.  Now the day is finally appraoching.  I have been training religiously.  Any tips on how to finish this thing!  The most you ever run during training is 20.

<We don't use the F-word in thread titles>
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can do your long training run, you can finish.

Have you been using PowerGel/Clif Shot etc?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The brand I use is called GU.  I take them every 6 to 8 miles
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
what kind of foods do you eat the day before the marathon? do you eat lots of carbs before a race?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been averaging about a 9 min mile pace in training runs.  Its the last six that everyone says kills you.  I have heard more than one story of people running a good race up to mile 22 and then just falling on their face!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes actually my diet this whole week has been regulated.  Lots of clean burning carbs like breads and pastas.  No fast food and the killer is no beer which is my favorite carb.  Every time I get home from work and crave a beer I just drink lots of water.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't be nervous at the starting line.  Just think that it will be enjoyable at first.  Unless you plan on running under 2:45, STOP at the water breaks and walk while you drink up and fuel up.  Losing 2 minutes in the first 18 by fuling properly can save you pain and many, many minutes in the last 8.  Believe me, I know.

If you just plan on finishing, be dog gone determined to keep running.  I have run two marathons with much less than competetive aspirations, and I ended up walking alot.  They were the same ordeal as with running, they went on forever, and left me feeling empty at the finish.

Stop and walk for fuel, but keep running otherwise!

Good luck, you can do it, and post a post-race report.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#8]
If I finish under 10 min mile pace I win $300.  My problem is always at the begining when you feel great.  I always end up running the first mile at about 7 min and then it takes me about two more miles to find my rythem.  I will post Tuesday and let you guys know the outcome.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck to you!  You will certainly have accomplished a lot when you finish your marathon.

Don't overdo the liquids during the race.  Pacing is the hard part, and the part that is most important.  When I pace myself, I can run much longer and actually enjoy the run.

Be sure to take several days to recover after the race.  I have heard that a massage is a good idea, also.

I am training for a marathon next April, and am actually running farther now than I ever thought possible.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The brand I use is called GU.  I take them every 6 to 8 miles

Gu will work just fine.

Try to relax at the start and enjoy the whole thing. Many first timers go out at a fast pace because of butterflies and adrenaline and don't slow down until mile 5 or so.

Stick to your gameplan. You've trained well, so be confident in the fact that you'll finish.

Pain is temporary. Glory lasts. You'll always be able to say that you ran a marathon and 99.99% of everybody can't say that.

Finally, on the back of your shirt, write something like this:

If this is
getting smaller
it's because
I'm kicking
your
ass

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is the course if anyone is interested.  
www.columbusmarathon.com  
It is pretty flat.  Good marathon for a first timer or so I have heard.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I finished my the marathon!  I did not break any land speed records though.  Finish time of 4 hours and 27 min.  I averaged 10:13 miles.  I learned alot about myself  during the run.  Definitely a great overall experience.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#13]
dude, congrats.  I couldn't ride a bike that far in that time.  We're proud of you.  I ran a 10K this summer and it took me half as long to run that as you ran your marathon in.  You should be proud of yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top