Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2004 7:52:55 AM EDT
Wondering if anyone can provide any personal or related input

I've personally already gotten LASIK done for nearsightedness and mild astigmatism, so i know all the blurred, pain, and sensitive night time stuff.

However, my mother is looking to get LASIK done, with corrective surgery so that one eye is done for farsightedness and the other for nearsightedness. that way she can have good vision in both fields. Has anyone personally have something similar to this done? I know its an available option, but i'd like to hear some feedback on how good (or bad) it turned out.
Also age would be appreciated, moms kinda old, but doc says it shouldnt be a problem.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#1]
bump for night crew
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I had RK done (yes, lasik was available but for some reason the doc thought RK was suitable) and was given one eye for close vision and one for distance.  To a certain degree this works. Here is my personal experience.

At high altitude, (we often go to Mammoth Lakes, altitude 8000 ft.) my eyes are very good.  The different pressure affects the shape of my eyes and my long distance vision is excellent BUT I can't read the paper when my eyes are rested (in the morning).  As my eyes relax (become more tired) I can read the paper and books but my long distance vision suffers correspondingly.  At sea level I can drive in the daytime without corrective lenses but definitely need them at night.  Reading is never a problem.  When my eyes are VERY tired, driving at night at sea level even with corrective lenses can be scary as lights from cars etc cause starburst effect.  This I'm careful about.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a 1.75 year checkup.  +.5 in both eyes.  Doc says at my age that is a good thing though cause through the years they will get more and more near sighted just from getting old.  That is till I am far sighted again. Oh well, beats the hell out of -7.5.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My mother had it done, loves it.

For a couple years before her LASIK, she had her contacts set up that way, so she was comfortable with the results.  When she went to have the LASIK done, the doc tried to talk her out of the far/near until he found out that she already had it.  Acording to the doc, most people that get it end up not liking it and have it redone to "normal".

One problem she did run into, the law has not caught up with technology.  WHen she went to renew her drivers' license, she had problems with the vision test.  The test requires 'normal' vision in both eye, so she had to guess at it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the quick replies...

That elevation thing is quite interesting...the so cali basin lies pretty low though so hopefully she'll grow used to it.

As for the driver exam, thank you for that note. I completely forgot about that. Its been so long since my mom or i have been to the DMV....(thank God)
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless she is in a rush to have it done, see if she can have the optometrist set her up with the near/far in either contacts or eyeglasses so she can see the effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top