Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 6:54:33 AM EDT
It is almost certain that the next chairman of the Judiciary Committee will be Arlen Specter, a pro-gay, pro-abortion Rapublican from PA.  As chairman of the judiciary, he will have control over the appointee's coming before the Senate, no?

What are our realistic hopes of "conservative" appointments with him at the helm of this committee?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It is almost certain that the next chairman of the Judiciary Committee will be Arlen Specter, a pro-gay, pro-abortion Rapublican from PA.  As chairman of the judiciary, he will have control over the appointee's coming before the Senate, no?

What are our realistic hopes of "conservative" appointments with him at the helm of this committee?

Scott

Very high, if Bush wins.

Judiciary Charimen very, very rarely go against the nominees of a President from their own party. The Chairman also has far less power over the nominees then you seem to believe.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Chairman also has far less power over the nominees then you seem to believe.

Can you help me understand?
Scott
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Why wouldn't Orrin Hatch stay on?  Besides, isn't that up to Bill Frist who is appointed to the Chairmanships?  I am sure he wouldn't allow a RINO to enact his will
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Chairman also has far less power over the nominees then you seem to believe.

Can you help me understand?
Scott

The Chair has quite limited powers. Judiciary Committee Rules
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why wouldn't Orrin Hatch stay on?  Besides, isn't that up to Bill Frist who is appointed to the Chairmanships?  I am sure he wouldn't allow a RINO to enact his will

One can only serve as Chair for 8 years. Hatch will have 8 years in at the end of the Current Congress.

Charles Grassley is next in line, but would have to relinquish his Chair of the VERY powerful Finance Committee, something he is unwiling to do. Specter is next in line after Grassley.

Senate Committee chairs are NOT selected by the Majority Leader, but are awarded, as are most things in the Senate, by seniority.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top