Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2004 10:35:22 PM EDT
Someone will surely call me racist, and another will probably call me out because he is chicano/mexican-american/or whatever... but my rant still stands. I know it takes me an extra three or four seconds at the ATM to select which language, BFD, but it annoys me every time I need cash.

Big hassle: no
PITA: in a way,  yes.

Mostly, I figure if I immigrated to mexico, I couldnt expect ATMs there to have an option for  "english" when I wanted cash, so I guess I'd have to learn the language. Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone have any insights as to ATMs in, say, Mexico or France? How about ATMs in Germany?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel the same way.  Every time we go to an ATM my wife has to listen to my 5 minute rant about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Because if you select Espanol you won't understand the words.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell, I live in San Diego.  Damn near everything here is bi-lingual (with spanish being first choice many of the times).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
FUCKO ESPANOL!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It pisses me off, atleast have it like the CC thing at the store it automaticly goes to English when you run the card.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You man even in UTAH ATM's are bilingual too? WTF is that - are you guys invaded too?

It is an irritant, unnecessary, waste of time/resources.

I've no doubt that in most (if not all) countries, English is an option for ATMs.
Why? b/c English is the international language (even the UN says so). Spanish is not.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I cant tell you how many times in Italy I was thankful for an "english" button on thier ATMs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgot to add

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA!!!

coming soon to a state near you
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Our ATMs have about 8 languages to slect from...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You man even in UTAH ATM's are bilingual too? WTF is that - are you guys invaded too?

It is an irritant, unnecessary, waste of time/resources.

I've no doubt that in most (if not all) countries, English is an option for ATMs.
Why? b/c English is the international language (even the UN says so). Spanish is not.

Its that way here in Georgia even
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no official language in the US.

This is not Canada, private businesses are not requiered by government to have signage up in certain languages.

The market place decides what will be used.

I can pretty much guarentee Arabic and other languages wont be common except in the little enclaves.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
You would be suprised how many mexicans, or people of mexican descent live and work in Utah... and dont get my rant wrong, many of them are good folks and hard workers, I've even worked with them,  I just get bothered when I feel they are "invading" rather than "joining" or country.

I speak a small amount of spanish, and have a friend that works here on a visa from mexico.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
fuck the illegal we%ba#ks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Same reason I get to hit "English" when I'm in a foreign country.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
fuck the illegal we%ba#ks

now now.... I dont want my thread locked... and note that this isnt a rant on the legal status of immigrants, please stay on topic, thank you!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Si, Si, Si yo no quiero mas Espanol aqui in Estados Unidos.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mostly, I figure if I immigrated to mexico, I couldnt expect ATMs there to have an option for  "english" when I wanted cash, so I guess I'd have to learn the language. Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone have any insights as to ATMs in, say, Mexico or France? How about ATMs in Germany?

When I was in Cancun a few months ago, the ATM gave me the option to choose English or Spanish.  Came in handy.  Then again, the purpose was for tourists to get money to spend there.  I meant to take out 300 pesos, but it gave me 300 dollars worth of pesos.  That's a crapload of pesos!

Most ATMs in Europe offer English as an option as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
When I was in Cancun a few months ago, the ATM gave me the option to choose English or Spanish.  Came in handy.  Then again, the purpose was for tourists to get money to spend there.  I meant to take out 300 pesos, but it gave me 300 dollars worth of pesos.  That's a crapload of pesos!

Now I can understand at an ATM in Cancun... would you find the same thing in a small town in southern mexcio, some place that is not a "vacation destination"...home town, Mexcio?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Viva La Reconquista!
Viva Aztlan!

Get used to it. Assimilation is a thing of the past. Pretty soon the U.S. will be completely balkanized and we'll have to settle these issues once and for all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I just know, deep in my soul, that the Chinese will be handing out RPGs and AK-47s in the Southwest, if they aren't already.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Happy attention whore?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hell, I live in San Diego.  Damn near everything here is bi-lingual (with spanish being first choice many of the times).

me, too.......  every thing is in Spanish here
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I can understand at an ATM in Cancun... would you find the same thing in a small town in southern mexcio, some place that is not a "vacation destination"...home town, Mexcio?

Probably.  There aren't that many companies that make ATM machines and I'm sure they probably just ship the standard english/spanish versions to north/south america (there's probably a switch to make one primary though).  I don't know for sure, just guessing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Because America is inundated with Mexican "tourists" here spending their hard earned money and boosting our economy? Because I'll bet you money that's why there's an option for English in other countries. Have you EVER met a Mexican "tourist" in America? Ever?

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#25]
The same reason drive up ATMs have braille on all the keys.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#26]
OFFascist mentioned it first.  Market forces drive things in this country.  Personally I would like to have as many folks spending money in our economy as possible.  The ATM still distributes U.S. legal tender.  As far as geography, immigration, etc. goes, it's undeniable that people from other places want to live in the United States because it is the best country in the world.  Due to the proximity of Spanish speaking countries in North and South America, it is obvious that Spanish would be a choice on ATMs and signage.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#27]
As America continues it's downward spiral there is going to be alot more of it.
We pander to the "minority" here. Whatever that minority is.
We spend all of our time highlighting just how different we all are. We can't be happy just being Americans anymore.
Makes me sick and sad.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#28]
As a Hispanic, I believe people should learn the damned language of the country.

That said, I'm down here in Laredo preparing to go into Mexico, and all I can say is that here, they ask you "Esponol or English".

Who won the Mexican War again?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Because if you select Espanol you won't understand the words.

Dahahaha!!!  Actually, even an English speaker who's never been exposed to Spanish can probably still make out some words like "cheque."  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#30]
And to make matters worse...Conyers, Ga.

Conyers (AP) -- A Rockdale County judge is frustrated with the high cost of interpreters and says he will start requiring proof that defendants cannot speak English.

He says some people are pretending not to be fluent just to delay criminal proceedings.

Sidney Nation -- a Rockdale County Superior Court judge -- says he will start having formal hearings on the need for an interpreter because his public defenders' office has exceeded its 25-hundred-dollar budget for interpreters.

A case in August involving Vietnamese defendants required four interpreters in the courtroom during the plea proceedings, two of which were paid for by the state.

Nation ultimately determined that three of the individuals could speak English.

Two of the individuals had actually graduated from American high schools.

For the plea proceedings involving the Vietnamese defendants, which lasted less than an hour, the interpreters cost more than 500 dollars.

Nation said non-English speaking defendants, especially those who are in the country illegally, have become a "crushing problem" for the courts.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#31]
AND why do I have to push 1 if I have a touch tone phone??
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
And to make matters worse...Conyers, Ga.

Conyers (AP) -- A Rockdale County judge is frustrated with the high cost of interpreters and says he will start requiring proof that defendants cannot speak English.

He says some people are pretending not to be fluent just to delay criminal proceedings.

Sidney Nation -- a Rockdale County Superior Court judge -- says he will start having formal hearings on the need for an interpreter because his public defenders' office has exceeded its 25-hundred-dollar budget for interpreters.

A case in August involving Vietnamese defendants required four interpreters in the courtroom during the plea proceedings, two of which were paid for by the state.

Nation ultimately determined that three of the individuals could speak English.

Two of the individuals had actually graduated from American high schools.

For the plea proceedings involving the Vietnamese defendants, which lasted less than an hour, the interpreters cost more than 500 dollars.

Nation said non-English speaking defendants, especially those who are in the country illegally, have become a "crushing problem" for the courts.

I saw this personally, the one time I got arrested (misdemeanor shoplifting, long story) in Phoenix, AZ. The guys in the holding tank I was in all spoke english, but to a man, all the hispanic folks went "no hablas ingles" during court. Irritated the hell out of me...

Oh, and I got time served, no fine. Class I misdemeanor conviction, though, so I'm sure my name is still in a computer somewhere.....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I hate that shit.  Every time I go to an ATM in Bogota it cant tell that Im a Gringo!  

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The same reason drive up ATMs have braille on all the keys.  

That's the best one I have seen.  WTF?!?!?!  Wouldn't want to be behind that driver.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Gee, I wonder if you punched in the letters F*CK YOU, if the ATM would automatically default to English?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#36]
If you come to the US speak ENGLISH, if you cant or wont then get out and dont come back!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because America is inundated with Mexican "tourists" here spending their hard earned money and boosting our economy? Because I'll bet you money that's why there's an option for English in other countries. Have you EVER met a Mexican "tourist" in America? Ever?

Yes.  There were a lot of them in Las Vegas.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
RANT: Why must I select "english" or "espanol" when I go to the ATM?

You don't. Don't use an ATM.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#39]
+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Yo quero Taco Bell...........
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#41]
It's the same reason I have to learn to speak Spanish if I want to work in any American restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#42]
I really don't care what a private company wants to do in terms of accessability, but it REALLY pisses me off when the .GOV does it. All services and functions done by the gov should be in english. Why the fuck are voters pamphlets and ballots in other languages?  Why the fuck are drivers license test in multiple languages?  

rant off.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#43]
the main reason is because the money of those spanish-speakers is green, just like yours, so the bank doesn't give a fuck if you have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#46]
The bank I use here in Vermont, their ATM's ask you if you would like English or FRENCH!.

So quit yer bitchin'
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
It's the same reason I have to learn to speak Spanish if I want to work in any American restaurant.

Ain't that the truth.

I sell product into Puerto Rico.  I don't speak spanish well, but my rep down there is bilingual, and I understand more spanish than I can speak.  We never tell the customer's that I can understand what they are saying.  

Somehow, we're always able to figure out when they're trying to screw us.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Its that way here in Georgia even

You must not be in my part of Georgia.  I used to see about 1 hispanic person for every 200 other people.  Now it's more like 1 in 20.  I never saw any store signs in Spanish when I was a kid.  Now we have a Haspanic "part of town" where several stores' signs are either in English and Spanish or just Spanish.  And this is a town of only about 40K people.  And this changed in only about 5 years.  It was really weird.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm white and I speak Spanish too and I don't necessarily mind hitting English once, but what annoys me is that when I put my card into the machine and it says "Please wait while we load your account info".  If it can know my info, why can't it know that I pushed English the last 5000 times I went to the ATM??  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

I sell product into Puerto Rico.  I don't speak spanish well, but my rep down there is bilingual, and I understand more spanish than I can speak.  We never tell the customer's that I can understand what they are saying.  

Somehow, we're always able to figure out when they're trying to screw us.  

I don't understand much Spanish, but I do know when they're saying that they don't like us.  They talk so much shit....it's funny when you listen to them talk shit about you for a month and a half and then you answer them back in Spanish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top