Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 9:41:38 PM EDT
I bought a used Kimber Custom about a year ago from a pawn shop. Is there anyway I can run the serial number to make sure it wasn't stolen and then pawned off?

I have no reason to think that it was stolen, but I rarely buy used guns. Frankly I just want the peace of mind that it is totally legal! Surely there is a Database that has stolen gun's serial numbers right?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
if you do get it checked and they find out it is stolen your out of a gun and shit out of luck
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
did you get a background check when you bought it?

if so, then you should be ok, because it is in your name now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah well, I was thinking of sending it off for some custom work and I would be real pissed if it was.

I guess I would be happier knowing it was stolen and return it, Rather than be accused of being a thief later.

I would still like to know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes I sure did. But I didn't think those documents were saved. I thought that they just ran your background and made sure you weren't a screw up.

Are those documents kept in record?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I sure did. But I didn't think those documents were saved. I thought that they just ran your background and made sure you weren't a screw up.

yes its called a form 4473 and they are kept with the dealer, usually pawn shops have to run the gun with the local sherrifs office to see if its stolen before they can sell the gun so you should be fine
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't know about the records kept at the shop, but the gun is in your name, so therefore it isn't stolen.

you bought it legally, and therefore, it is yours, in YOUR OWN NAME.

when the test is run, then it will show up in YOUR OWN NAME.

what does all this = ?

your gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes its called a form 4473

Hmm, well I guess that form has its advantages then. I can visualize a few disadvantages too!

Cool, Thanks yall, Sorry to ask stupid questions, I just wanted to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if you do get it checked and they find out it is stolen your out of a gun and shit out of luck

Way I see it, you were shit outta luck before you had it checked (if it was stolen that is).  Who wants to have a stolen gun?

I've wondered about this in respect to p-party transfers in other states.  Just my luck, I'd take a newly purchased and assumed legit piece of hardware out to the forest to shoot it, have a Nazi Ranger run the serial on it, have it come back stolen, and get my ass arested.

What do you guys do?  Go on good faith?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't know about the records kept at the shop, but the gun is in your name, so therefore it isn't stolen.

you bought it legally, and therefore, it is yours, in YOUR OWN NAME.

when the test is run, then it will show up in YOUR OWN NAME.

what does all this = ?

your gun.

uh not quite, Tx does not have registration of guns, when you get pulled over and they were to check the serial number through NCIC, it will only show a hit if it is stolen, otherwise it does not show who owns it.

Pawn shops are also required to turn in serial numbers for incoming items, plus they must be held for a certain period of time before they can be placed out for sale. IF it was stolen, then it would have been discovered and picked up well before it hit the shelves for sale.

If by some freak chance your gun is hot, you have a well documented paper trail showed that you legally purchases the gun in accordance to all state and federal laws, and the 4473 will be on file with the Pawn shop for many years.

Bottom line your fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont think you can get in trouble for having it, only if you knew if it was stolen or you stole it.  Its a no win situation
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never bought a gun through a pawn shop before,

My father had a run in with a pawn shop owner after he discovered that his stolen gun was on the shelf ready to be sold. And he was never compensated for it either. Appearently the Pawn shop he went to did not do the serial number check before it placed it on sale. Of course that was about 8 years ago, maybe the law has changed since then. Maybe it went on sale before he even noticed that it was stolen, dunno. They did catch the crook though.

And of course I bought my Kimber at a much more reputable pawn shop. One of the biggest gun stores in the area.

I had my doubts becuase of my dads situation. I wouldn't have even bought it at a pawn shop if it wasn't at a low price.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#12]
In Florida there was a case where a man found his stolen gun for sale at a pawn shop but they would not return it because he owed them money. The Pawn shop had to give back the gun since they cant hold a stolen firearm.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes its called a form 4473

Hmm, well I guess that form has its advantages then. I can visualize a few disadvantages too!

Cool, Thanks yall, Sorry to ask stupid questions, I just wanted to be sure.

Then weekly they are faxed to BATFE for fileing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In Florida there was a case where a man found his stolen gun for sale at a pawn shop but they would not return it because he owed them money. The Pawn shop had to give back the gun since they cant hold a stolen firearm.

My dad should have fought it, I dont know the entire story though. He didn't owe them any money though thats for sure

and it was a real nice Browning Hi-power,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top