Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 8:48:09 PM EDT
OK, I understand that regular Family Radio Service (FRS) only transmitts at 0.5 watts but does not require a FCC license.  In order to transmit at higher power for longer range I need to get a GMRS license for $80.

Is it worth it?  Do most people find that the FRS ranges are adequate?  I just need something for the family to keep in touch at amusment parks, the beach or just walking around the neighborhood.  Mountains are a possibility but not often.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind...

I just realized since the license is good for five years, that works out to $1.33 a month.  I'd say it's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I find it hard to believe they're enforcing it, especially since a gmrs radio can be bought almost any where now a days
I did get the license though, mainly because I got the ham license and figured if they did enforce the gmrs thing and caught me it'd look bad and (without me knowing the law on the subject) might possibly lead to me losing the ham license
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top