Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 5:06:34 PM EDT
My aunt's letter to her local newspaper.  She was a little upset.

On the night of October 12, 2004 a thief hit Newport.  The worst possible type of thief; one thinking they can steal the public's right to speak.  This is an outrage.  It does not matter what candidate you favor, it is the right of each individual to choose and support that person.  Placing signs is very simple, it's called "FREE SPEECH."  Bush/Cheney signs were removed from most of Newport.  This thief has attempted to steal my First Amendment Rights.  Whoever you are listen up!!!

I have a deep and abiding love for the United States and its liberty.  My love of country has been handed down since 1747, that is the year my mother's family first came to this new world.  They escaped the tyranny of a King, that was taking their rights away.  They helped settle and found what is now Tennessee.  They fought in the Revolutionary War to gain their freedom, where the Constitution was written and the Bill of Rights handed down.  Later in American history, my father served at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked, he had been there six years before the war, doing his duty.  My husband served in Vietnam, doing his duty.  My brother served in Vietnam doing his duty.  My brother-in-law served in Vietnam doing his duty.  My nephew served in the Air Force in Turkey doing his duty.  My second nephew served in the Army in Korea doing his duty.   My son Bryan served in the Oregon National Guard.  My son David served in the Oregon National Guard and just returned from eleven years in the Army.  He too was defending the United States and our freedom.  I have personally, held two rallies for Patriotism on the beach since 9/11 to show my love of country.  Don't ever challenge my right to speech, my family helped earn it.  My FREEDOM TO SPEAK has been safe guarded and protected and will not be taken by you!

Back to the Bill of Rights, remember the first one?  That's right, the part where I am guaranteed the freedom of worship, of speech, of the press and so on; even when you don't like it or agree with it.  Now, get this message loud and clear, stay off my property, never remove anything from my property and NEVER NEVER NEVER think you have the least bit of power over my rights.  You are worse than a common thief.  You are the equal to the Taliban, or Saddam, you somehow believe that your will is more important than anyone else or any law.  You have no power, you are a coward, and a blight to this community.  You do not deserve respect, you have no pride in your country or personal honor.  You are the lowest form of life possible.  You are the type of individual our nation is fighting against.  Freedom and honor will prevail.  

Come on by my house again; smile, we now have surveillance cameras, I would love to see you prosecuted.  

P.S. Someone knows who you are, a reward is offered to anyone with details.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
While I agree with the letter I do not agree with the part about "Don't ever challenge my right to speech, my family helped earn it."

Thats a bunch of BS. I dont care who you are or what you or your family did. If you are a citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA the you are afforded ALL rights granted by the constitution.

The author makes it sound as if she is above other Americans who have done less. That attitude pisses me off.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My aunt's letter to her local newspaper.  She was a little upset.

On the night of October 12, 2004 a thief hit Newport.  The worst possible type of thief; one thinking they can steal the public's right to speak.  This is an outrage.  It does not matter what candidate you favor, it is the right of each individual to choose and support that person.  Placing signs is very simple, it's called "FREE SPEECH."  Bush/Cheney signs were removed from most of Newport.  This thief has attempted to steal my First Amendment Rights.  Whoever you are listen up!!!

I have a deep and abiding love for the United States and its liberty.  My love of country has been handed down since 1747, that is the year my mother's family first came to this new world.  They escaped the tyranny of a King, that was taking their rights away.  They helped settle and found what is now Tennessee.  They fought in the Revolutionary War to gain their freedom, where the Constitution was written and the Bill of Rights handed down.  Later in American history, my father served at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked, he had been there six years before the war, doing his duty.  My husband served in Vietnam, doing his duty.  My brother served in Vietnam doing his duty.  My brother-in-law served in Vietnam doing his duty.  My nephew served in the Air Force in Turkey doing his duty.  My second nephew served in the Army in Korea doing his duty.   My son Bryan served in the Oregon National Guard.  My son David served in the Oregon National Guard and just returned from eleven years in the Army.  He too was defending the United States and our freedom.  I have personally, held two rallies for Patriotism on the beach since 9/11 to show my love of country.  Don't ever challenge my right to speech, my family helped earn it.  My FREEDOM TO SPEAK has been safe guarded and protected and will not be taken by you!

Back to the Bill of Rights, remember the second one?  That's right, the part where I can shoot your ass to protect all my other rights.

Come on by my house again; smile, we now have surveillance cameras, I would love to see you prosecuted.  

P.S. Someone knows who you are, a reward is offered to anyone with details.

Fixed!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just to add, I would't shoot someone for petty theft, or advocate doing so.

On the other hand, many ppl. forget that one of the purposes onf the 2nd. A. is to protect the First A.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... The author makes it sound as if she is above other Americans who have done less. ...

??

She’s just making it emphatically clear that she and her family are committed to the concept of free speech.

That said, it was probably just a bunch of idiot kids with nothing worthwhile to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top