Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 2:53:22 PM EDT
Well, just dropped my absentee ballot off at the [al gore] LOCK BOX [/al gore] here in Larimer County, Colorado.  

For your information, I asked the county voting clerk:  "do these get counted if the election is not close," and they responed "absolutely, we count all of them even if there's a blow out."   Her reason was pretty interesting:   She said:  Even if the County or Colorado landslides for one side, its important to get accurate "total vote" counts given all of the ruckus last time over the "popular vote."  

This leads me to point out that all you guys suffering in BLUE STATES still need to get your asses to the polls.  Your votes, even if cast in defeat in your state, may be needed to push your candidate over the "popular vote" hump.  

A couple hours after my vote was in, I started getting unsolicited calls on my CELL PHONE from area Democrats (I'm still registered as one) telling me to make sure I vote and whatnot.   I politely advised each of these that (a) I will be expecting their check to pay for the cell phone airtime they just stole from me; and (b) I had already cast my vote this morning, and I proudly voted for George Dubya Bush.   Two of the calls resulted in palpable silence.  In shock.   Another questioned me.  And I gave them a polite "you know, I already voted so save Senator Kerry's lies for some other sap and just chalk me up as a G-Dub democrat."

It was actually rather enjoyable.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Good deal!

I sent for my absentee ballot today since I'll be out of town on the 2nd.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, just dropped my absentee ballot off at the [al gore] LOCK BOX [/al gore] here in Larimer County, Colorado.  

For your information, I asked the county voting clerk:  "do these get counted if the election is not close," and they responed "absolutely, we count all of them even if there's a blow out."   Her reason was pretty interesting:   She said:  Even if the County or Colorado landslides for one side, its important to get accurate "total vote" counts given all of the ruckus last time over the "popular vote."  

This leads me to point out that all you guys suffering in BLUE STATES still need to get your asses to the polls.  Your votes, even if cast in defeat in your state, may be needed to push your candidate over the "popular vote" hump.  

A couple hours after my vote was in, I started getting unsolicited calls on my CELL PHONE from area Democrats (I'm still registered as one) telling me to make sure I vote and whatnot.   I politely advised each of these that (a) I will be expecting their check to pay for the cell phone airtime they just stole from me; and (b) I had already cast my vote this morning, and I proudly voted for George Dubya Bush.   Two of the calls resulted in palpable silence.  In shock.   Another questioned me.  And I gave them a polite "you know, I already voted so save Senator Kerry's lies for some other sap and just chalk me up as a G-Dub democrat."

It was actually rather enjoyable.  

Awesome.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for doing your civic duty, SIR!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sorry Gonza, you have it wrong.

It is indeed important to vote.

But the President is elected by the Electorial College.  If your state is won by a candidate, all Electorial votes from your state go to him.  Popular totals do not matter.

That is why GWB beat Algore even though Algore had the highest "popular vote" total.  GWB had the most Electorial Votes.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the President is elected by the Electorial College.  If your state is won by a candidate, all Electorial votes from your state go to him.  Popular totals do not matter.

That is why GWB beat Algore even though Algore had the highest "popular vote" total.  GWB had the most Electorial Votes.

Yeah, but if Kerry wins the popular and Bush wins the electoral like in 2000, the DUers will riot in the streets.  And if the unthinkable happens and Kerry wins the electoral, and Bush wins the popular, it will still be a "tainted,' if ironic, victory for the Dems since they've been bitching about the electoral college for the past four years.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You misunderstand me.   Yes, I am fully aware and support 100% the way the electoral college works.  But that does not mean, and it has been proven otherwise, that where a candidate wins the E.C., but not the popular vote, that the press won't question the "mandate' or "legitimacy" and whatnot of the vote.

If an extra couple of thousand republicans in states like New York and California had voted in 2000, then despite the whole Florida fiasco, the media and the lefties would not be able to spend so much time bitching about the electoral college and the supposed "lack of mandate" of the President.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife & I did the same. I don't know why more people don't vote absentee. It's easy, call the elections office and they send you a ballot. You have time to study all the local candidates & ballot initiatives and make informed choices. In the past, I'd make up a cheat sheet to take to the polls but the sample ballot wasn't in the paper until a week or so before the election, a bit of a rush. Now, I can take 2-3 evenings looking up all the info and making the informed choice. In addition, you don't have to wait at a crowded poll, be late for work etc.  Plus, it feels good to know that you voted for your candidate before Nov. 2. Only bad thing is, I don't get the little "I Voted" sticker.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Missed the point completely, Painless. He had it right, Electoral sweep or no, having a Popular vote that has a substantial margin will help shut down the budding Revolutionaries from getting anywhere with their scheduled charges of fraud and theft.
And you got it DOUBLY wrong particularly in the case of CO - they have a ballot item that proposes SPLITTING their state's electoral votes, AND the measure even includes a clause to apply it retroactively to include the very election it is being voted on within. EVERY vote is needed in CO (and then some Colorado patriots need to find the proposer of the bill and tar and feather them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My information from the 2000 election was that California's absentee ballots were not tallied toward the popular vote as the state was a landslide and the total number of absentee votes could not change the outcome. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm old fashioned.

I like to wait until election day, stand in line and cast my vote in the weird little booth.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top