Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 2:39:51 PM EDT
OK, I can't find any reviews on spotting scopes, so i don't have a clue where to begin. The local Gander Mountain has several models I can look at, and i am pretty sure the $85 Winchester is a piece of junk after trying to use it. Any advice would be greatly appreciateed. Here are the confines I am working in:

1. Range will typically be 100 yards or less, as there simply aren't any longer rangers within a two hour drive. I MIGHT have a chance to shoot 300 yards, but most likely would have a scope to borrow.

2. Needs to be able to see .223 holes at 100 yards

3. Price cap of $300 for the whole shebang, including tripod, case, etc. I Simply ain't got a lot of money but I need a spotting scope!  

Two options I have been considering is the Leupold Wind River 15-45 x50 and the Bushnell Spacemaster 15-45 x60, both of which are in my price range. The Wind River is on display at GM and seemed pretty decent, but any real world experience would be appreciated!

Dawg
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bausch & Lomb Discoverer #78-1600
Vanguard VT-214B tripod
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bausch & Lomb Discoverer #78-1600
Vanguard VT-214B tripod

Got a good place to order this from?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned a cheap bushnell, it barely did the job.  A good spotting scope is everything!

The best spotting scope that money can buy in my opinion is a Kowa TSN 821M! Get the 27X long eye relief eypiece.  I shoot high power rifle competitions, and this is the standard! The scope and eyepiece will run you about $700.00 but you will NOT be sorry, as this scope will last you a lifetime!
A 27X scope with the 82MM lense is all you will need in a good spotting scope. You can see holes at 300 yards with this! The clarity of the optics is superior to lesser scopes.  You do NOT need the zoom eypiece.

The TSN 821M is about the top of the line in the Kowa lineup, there is a model with a florite lense coating that is much more expensive, but you do not need this, as it geared towards professional photographers.

You will appreciate the offset Eypiece of the 821M, as it much easier to use when shooting in any position.

There are more inexpensive Kowa models available if you really do not want to spend the money.  Why not consider the 50 or 60 MM models?

The best place to buy a Kowa is at creedmoor sports. These folks tend to have the lowest prices on them.  http://www.creedmoorsports.com/Scopes_Kowa.htm

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
try the competition forum,
there's been a discussion there for a month
don't buy cheap, you will regret it
and if you are going to shoot positions, buy angled
rlc
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Nikon all the way
You should be able to get a Sky & Earth fixed 20 power for less than what you want to spend.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
try the competition forum,
there's been a discussion there for a month
don't buy cheap, you will regret it
and if you are going to shoot positions, buy angled
rlc

What he said times 1000!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
There are really three types of spotting scopes, according to price break.  Under $200-which are pretty useless.  Uber expensive, over $800.00-Swarovski, Kowa, ect. Then there are mid range scopes, about $300 to $400. That's what I bought-a Bausch and Lomb Elite 15-45 60mm, for $400.  It's waterproof and has good eye relief.  Decent, but not world class optics.  my buddy has a spacemaster, the optics are OK, but the eye relief sucks.  If you are only going to shoot on a range it's fine, you can pick out .223 at 100 yards no problem.  I've used my scope while  hunting and it  really came in handy.  To echo most of the posts, spend good money on optics, you won't be sorry.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a review of scopes you might be interested in:

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/SpottingScopes.asp

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
a $60 Winchester does great out to 200yds.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Whatever you might decide to purchase...

check out ..

E-Bay    

Along with the firearms auction boards, of course.  

ETA:  For my casual plinking, the Leupold I found there has been great.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a $59 fixed power Simmons.  I don't remember the magnification.  It's fine for 5.56 at 100 yards, but useless for 5.56 at 200.  When I look through the expensive ones, I can really see a huge difference in clarity, but it's purpose is to see holes, not birdwatch.  I guess what I'm saying is that for short range, the cheap ones will work fine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for KOWA. I don't have the 82, ,I have the TS-611 with a 20-60X eyepiece, which doesn't have the exrta coatings, I believe. It is an angled eyepice model. I got mine from Bear Basin Outfitters:

Bear Basin Outfitters

A spotting scope should be a one time purchase that will stay with you throughout your shooting career. If you can somehow scrape up the extra cash, it is a worthwhile investment, as you will no doubt end up shooting at longer an longer ranges in the future. Mine was $329+169
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I use a $59 fixed power Simmons.  I don't remember the magnification.  It's fine for 5.56 at 100 yards, but useless for 5.56 at 200.  When I look through the expensive ones, I can really see a huge difference in clarity, but it's purpose is to see holes, not birdwatch.  I guess what I'm saying is that for short range, the cheap ones will work fine.

OK, at the risk of everyone going "what are you thinking?!?!"  I think I might get one of the cheapie ones for now for under $100 which will work for 100m or less and if I find a place to shoot farther get a much, much better one.  

Seems better than trying to split the difference and get a mediocre one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a small 20x kowa, works good at 200 and not that expensive.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought the 15 - 45x Burris , comes with tripod, hard case etc ... all for around $160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top