I stopped going to work three months ago, but today I got a check for $680

whahahahahaha........ha

screw Wal-Mart,  I mean, thank you
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Congratulations... cash it and you have committed larceny.

Not necessarily, some companies pay out accumulated sick time and vacation after a person quits.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not necessarily, some companies pay out accumulated sick time and vacation after a person quits.

But if that's NOT the case then HiramRanger is 100% correct.  Better find out before you cash that thing, bubba.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
According to one of my previous store managers of a large sporting goods co. if the company sends you a check by mistake and you cash it before they can contact you, there is nothing they can do about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
it doesnt matter if he earned the check or not, its was written out to him and he has every right to cash it
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If you worked there CASH IT! all youd have to do is pay it back right?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Guess again folks, cashing a check you know you are not entitled to... read the poster's words "free money" is larceny.  Go and try to cash a tax refund check you are not owed...  Now, you probably can cash it and so long as you are willing and able to pay it back if confronted down the road, you will likely be alright...  But if you refuse, or are unable to, they may well charge you with larceny.

Good advice, Hiram.

Plus another important issue with me.......I am not a thief.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guess again folks, cashing a check you know you are not entitled to... read the poster's words "free money" is larceny.  Go and try to cash a tax refund check you are not owed...  Now, you probably can cash it and so long as you are willing and able to pay it back if confronted down the road, you will likely be alright...  But if you refuse, or are unable to, they may well charge you with larceny.

Good advice, Hiram.

Plus another important issue with me.......I am not a thief.

But that's just me.

+1

Damn morals... my Momma just didn't raise me right!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
it doesnt matter if he earned the check or not, its was written out to him and he has every right to cash it

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And they have every right to come back and demand their money back too and they are legally entitled to it.

Been there, done that, went round and round with the universities payroll office, I thought that with vacation/sick/holiday time the money was mine.  Guess again?

Luckily my skills at argueing my case greatly reduced the amount I had to repay.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm cashin' this BEOTCH

hell, wal-mart gave me carpel tunnel, hemorroids, a bad back.....
(order filler @ distribution center)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm cashin' this BEOTCH

Don't drop the soap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
wal-mart gave me carpel tunnel, hemorroids, a bad back.....

How convenient. When you get to prison, you won't have to worry about getting carpel tunnel from jacking off or hemorroids from getting ass banged or a bad back from bending over, all on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#16]
givin its probably not the right thing to do, walmart still wrote him a check and its not his job to determine if they meant to do it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#17]
your best bet is to deposit the money and hold on to it for a while to see if they ask for it back
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
So have you figured out whether WalMart screwed up or is this some sort of vacation/sick pay that is owed to you?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn.  This is the second person today asking whether or not they should be honest.  WTF?

Ever heard of moral turpitude?

Put forth a little effort to find out if it belongs to you, man.

I hope you're not the same type of person who pockets the change when the cashier dishes out too much money.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Cash it. If they want it back? Give it to'em. Whats the big deal? Jeez you guys are a bunch of ninnys.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
According to one of my previous store managers of a large sporting goods co. if the company sends you a check by mistake and you cash it before they can contact you, there is nothing they can do about it.

I dont ask my Lawyer for advice on a softball bat. Don't think I'd seek legal advice from a sporting goods manager, either.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cash it. If they want it back? Give it to'em. Whats the big deal? Jeez you guys are a bunch of ninnys.

So its only wrong if you get caught?  Thanks for clarifying...

You are making a wild accusation. He doesn't know if it is or not. He will find out if he cashes it. Then IF it is I am quite sure he will gladly return what was not his.

There is no obligation to waste his time finding out if the corporation made a clerical error. If they made one they will quite likely notify him and then it may be resolved.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How convenient. When you get to prison, you won't have to worry about getting carpel tunnel from jacking off or hemorroids from getting ass banged or a bad back from bending over, all on a daily basis.

I doubt he would go to prison over it
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So have you figured out whether WalMart screwed up or is this some sort of vacation/sick pay that is owed to you?

it was vacation pay after all
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad to hear that you put forth the effort to find out.  I guess it's now a "nice surprise" instead of "free money."

Now go buy a gun.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and it took three months to get the check?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Call Wallmart and ask about the check.  They sent it for a reason.  See if the reason is valid.

Find out if you earned it or not.

Everything else is an exercise in losing concerning ethical behavior.

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well then it ain't "free money."  Want to avoid criticism in the future, know what you are talking about before you post.

WTF? He did EXACTLY what was suggested here (find out). Now you slam him? <Personal attack removed>
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt he would go to prison over it

I was joking.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No, I "slammed" him for his attitude expressed on the first page... the only tool here is you... now crawl back in your box and lock the lid.  You are a troll 1776, nothing more.

boo hoo hoo.

BTW you already insulted him enough on the first page. <Personal attack removed>
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1...

FUcking thief.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]
they made you out a check. Its like handing you cash. You have every legal right to cash that check.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm cashin' this BEOTCH

Did you file a workers comp complaint?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Check your state laws in TN. In CA, your employer has six days to cash you out to every penny if you quit. Otherwise, they must pay your salary for everyday they are late up to one months worth, plus attorney's fee if necessary.

Call Wal-Mart and ask about the check. It may be late payment for your earned vacation time. If that is the case and TN's labor laws are similar to CA, they also owe you one months additional salary. You should then ask them for it to avoid litigation. Of course, they will never hire you back so choose wisely.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#40]
If someone sent me a check in the mail, and it wasnt some scam for me to change my long distance plan I dont see any reason why I wouldnt cash it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If someone sent me a check in the mail, and it wasnt some scam for me to change my long distance plan I dont see any reason why I wouldnt cash it.

Its a trap, its like the check that changes your long distance plan, except when you cash this one Walmart owns your soul
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Cash it if you can, but be careful, there might be a tranny sneaking up on you!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont ask my Lawyer for advice on a softball bat. Don't think I'd seek legal advice from a sporting goods manager, either.

No, but seeing as how it happened with one of my coworkers and the manager asked the corporate office about it and they told him they couldn't do anything about it makes it at least fairly believeable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Ok, IM me on here and I will send you my address. Send me a check for $1,000 and a note that says "you are not entitled to thsi check and you are not to cash it or sign it over to anyone"

I will cash it and you can charge me this larceny.

Lets see if it works.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#46]
If you did have to return the money to WalMart you could just cut out the middle man and send it directly to China.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1...

FUcking thief.

SGtar15

You really should read the WHOLE thread before making personal attacks.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I guess I'm morally bankrupt too, becuase I'd cash that motherfucker. It's not stealing if someone gives it to you. Of course, I've had people send me double paypal payments as large as $500 by mistake and I of course return that. Somehow a mistake made by Joe Worker and a mistake made by corporate Wal Mart seem inseperably different to me.......

On that note lets hear how many of the people calling him a thief have ever:

1. Gotten in a wreck, taken the insurance adjuster the highest estimate possible and then gotten it fixed chepaer somewhere else.

2. Found $20 on the street and not given it to the police.

3. Not been charged for something at a store by mistake and didn't take the item back in and pay.

I could go on and on. You can preach all you want but everybody takes "free money" at some point. If you say you haven't your not just a thief, but a liar as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top