Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 1:33:51 PM EDT
ok, I know it was bad, but I need a box of .410 shells and a box of FMJ 30-06.  I went to wally world.  while standing at the counter I saw a map of the united states color coded as to what states could by a gun at my local wal-mart. (I think it was all but about four states).

I thought that you had to buy firearms in your own state, and if you went acrossed state lines you would need an FFL.

What is the skinny?

Can I go to IL and pick up my next RRA or DSA, and cut the shipping and FFL fees out?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
yes I'd like to know as well
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
An FFL can sell rifles and shotguns to a non-licensee from any state as long as the sale complies with the law of both states.  This does not apply to handgun sales though.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
No you can't.  You must abide by the rules of YOUR home state.

So usually the rifle gets shipped to a FFL in YOUR state and the paperwork is done there.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes if you cross state lines you need to buy from an FFL.

You can only buy a handgun in your home state - if you buy in another state they (the selling FFL) must ship it to a FLL in your state.

Longarms are another story.  Unless there is a state law against it you can buy longarms from FFLs in other states - providing they comply with laws in your state regarding restrictions.

For example if I buy a Winchester in VA (I live in MD) it's cash-nics-carry and I'm good to go.  If I try to buy an AK-47 they must hold onto the rifle for 8 days before I can take it home (even though VA has no waiting period - MD does for certain 'restricted' firearms).
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replys,

It shocked me to see that sign.  I alway thought that you had to be in your own state w/ proper ID to buy any gun.

I had an expercience one time in the land of linclon - the guy behind the sales counter would not even let me hole an over and under untill I showed my my FOID card.  I told him I did not have one, he was not going to let me look at a browning.  I had to show him my Florida ID to have him let me hold the gun.  (I guess he did not understand that if I wanted to buy the gun that I could have had a FFL sent to him).

So I guess I could buy one in Georgia, but not IL?

Thanks,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes if you cross state lines you need to buy from an FFL.

You can only buy a handgun in your home state - if you buy in another state they (the selling FFL) must ship it to a FLL in your state.

Longarms are another story.  Unless there is a state law against it you can buy longarms from FFLs in other states - providing they comply with laws in your state regarding restrictions.

For example if I buy a Winchester in VA (I live in MD) it's cash-nics-carry and I'm good to go.  If I try to buy an AK-47 they must hold onto the rifle for 8 days before I can take it home (even though VA has no waiting period - MD does for certain 'restricted' firearms).

Yup , but VA has a state check so we can;t buy guns in any state other then VA without a transfer

Which sucks royally as I am trying to get a Vector uzi carbine from Atlantic Firearms now in MD and have to have them ship it to me .
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]
This may be a dumb question but I will ask.

Say you buy a handgun from a private party, not an FFL, while out of state. Then dring the handgun back to your state. Any problems with this
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This may be a dumb question but I will ask.

Say you buy a handgun from a private party, not an FFL, while out of state. Then dring the handgun back to your state. Any problems with this

Yes, very illegal

handgun OR longgun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top