Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2004 11:03:32 AM EDT
I seem to have a habit of picking things up with the hand with out the glove on it.

Worst I think is when I picked up a chunk of steel by the weld, cooked my palm good, thankfully didn't hurt me too bad but for a couple of weeks my hand sure was sore.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Was trying to weld up the bumper on a '78 Olds Cutlass. Wasn't watching what I as trying to weld the bracing plate to. Burnt a hole into the bumper shock absorber that I did not realize was on the inside of the support tube that had rusted through.

Damn near set the whole car on fire.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Welding with shorts on.  Nice little piece of slag went down the top of my boot and gave me quite the burn on the top of my foot.

When I was in high school, I took Ag and pretty much welded every day.  One day I wore a nice new pair of leather boots to school.  Didn't think anything about it when I got to class and just welded away.

After class I looked at my boots and they were covered in pinhole slag burns.  Damn near ruined.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Perhaps there should be test for people who want to own firearms.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I was kneeling down welding on a trailer and my dad said "Stay off your knees"...wasn't sure why...until Iput my knee down on a molten piece of metal.......
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Building target stands, using Oxy Acet. rig to heat rebar for bending.
Forgot which end I'd heated.
No glove.
Pattern of rebar branded on my palm.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
In school, I was stick arc welding and had my welding book right next to the piece I was welding.  I smelled something strange, stopped welding and flipped up the hood to find my book in flames!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Welding with shorts on.  Nice little piece of slag went down the top of my boot and gave me quite the burn on the top of my foot.

When I was in high school, I took Ag and pretty much welded every day.  One day I wore a nice new pair of leather boots to school.  Didn't think anything about it when I got to class and just welded away.

After class I looked at my boots and they were covered in pinhole slag burns.  Damn near ruined.

I have seen people weld shit in there under wear, but shoes on. Made alot of sense to me. Boxers, no shirt amd shoes. You know your a red neck when you do shit like this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Perhaps there should be test for people who want to own firearms.

There are many more people out there I would trust with firearms than those whose welds I'd trust.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Weld a gas tank as a kid -- (if they be full they will not burn or explode)
delayed my entry into the service by six months.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Weld a gas tank as a kid -- (if they be full they will not burn or explode)
delayed my entry into the service by six months.

Pray tell.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
If your a good welder you can do it

I wasn't a good welder.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Building a 4-wheeler trailer, used a arc welder with shorts and a tank top on. Instant "sunburn".
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Not really a stupid thing I did, but bad thing that happened to me

I was repair welding (mig) under a car trailer in the typical auto repair garb, loose shirt, work pants.  Anyhow, a red hot berry popped off the weld and went down the front of my pants, caught under that elastic band of my skivvies!!  Holy smokes, I've never moved so fast.  I'm glad is stopped where it did but damn it really hurt!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Not learning how to when I was in H.S.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Not me, but when I was in 8th grade shop class, one of the resident genius thugs decided to do some welding.

He arc-welded in the booth with NO HOOD for about 45 minutes. Fucker couldn't see right for a long time after that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen people weld shit in there under wear, but shoes on. Made alot of sense to me. Boxers, no shirt amd shoes. You know your a red neck when you do shit like this.

Underwear!  Damn - instant sunburn.  I welded one day last week, we forgot the mask at the job site so I had 3 pair of sunglasses on.  Today, my face is almost done peeling.  I had forgotten how much weld-sunburn hurts.

Timely topic.  I just started helping a friend do some welding last week.  Since then, I have picked up hot metal without gloves several times.  Especially after using a cutting torch, you forget how long shit stays hot after you cut it.  

I have set my jeans on fire twice, because I had holes in the knees and frayed cuffs, and decided to do some cutting.  Burnt my left leg pretty good.

I shocked the shit out of myself twice last week, by holding a new electrode by my bare hand, and resting the other hand on the truck we were welding on.  I shocked myself a third time by holding electrode in one hand, and using the other to grab the ground.  Ouch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#18]
A few things.

Welding a 1" qual carbon steel pipe.  No maximum interpass temperatures, so you can put as much metal on your pipe as fast as you can.  I turned around, took off my gloves and helmet, turned back around and grabbed the pipe by the welded zone to put in a new setup.  Whole palm and fingers were 2'nd degree scorched.

Flash burned by getting to within 6" of my weld and hitting the torch to the metal.  Oops.

Got a triangle shaped sunburn in welding school when I forgot my bandana one day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Not putting a glove on when I held something i was tacking.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not really a stupid thing I did, but bad thing that happened to me

I was repair welding (mig) under a car trailer in the typical auto repair garb, loose shirt, work pants.  Anyhow, a red hot berry popped off the weld and went down the front of my pants, caught under that elastic band of my skivvies!!  Holy smokes, I've never moved so fast.  I'm glad is stopped where it did but damn it really hurt!

same thing happened to me when I was working at Monro...

I was welding an exhaust under a car above my head.  Trying to get the pipe welded in an area i could hardly see, or reach so i'm in somewhat of an interesting angle.  A piece of slag dripped off and landed on my sholder under my shirt.  It burned through my uniform...rolled down my back...went inbetween my tucked in shirt and pants...burned through my pants...and came to rest sitting against my ass buring my pants pocket.  I have a schweet scar that goes from my sholder all the way down to my left ass cheek oh yea....lots of fun!

I also reached across an oxy-acc. flame to grab a pair of pliers once.  Instantly cooked my palm to 1000 degrees.  I had a blister the size of a golfball.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Wore nylon tennis shoes.  Still have the scars.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Sandals.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I seem to have a habit of picking things up with the hand with out the glove on it.

yeah, i did that TWICE in a row one time.

rather embarassing to say the least.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I only wore goggles.
The rest of my face, neck and arms ended up with second degree burns.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#25]
High school. My buddies and I were off-roaders / dirt bikers and were abusing our arc-welder 'privileges' - belonged to the father of one of us. His folks bitched about the electrical bill, then his dad bitched that there were never any rods left when he needed them.
He started locking up his supply. We brought our own.
Then he locked up the masks.
I welded a pre-runner brushguard / skidplate without the benefit of gogglees .
By the time I was done, the surfaces of my eyes were peeling off. An uncomfortable ~24hrs followed  (although my girlfriend did attempt to 'ease my pain').
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I was welding a chunk of steel sitting on the garage floor, kneeling, wearing shorts.  Luckily I was wearing an old jacket, welding gloves and the face shield, so only my knees looked really sunburned for a while (I couldnt keep a bead going well enough to get 2nd degree burns).

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I weld with shorts on, but it's never a problem.

Once, however, I was welding with cutoff shorts on.
You get so used to ignoring the pain from little sparks and slag....

...but when the pain gets worse....

...I flipped up my mask, and saw that I was engulfed in flames, from thigh to chest.

It hurt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Tacking stuff with a wire welder is easy.....you just look away and hit the button.
The only problem is that your eyes can still get burned, even if you're not looking at the arc.

Took me two times to figure out the problem.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Damn Burley; I did just about the same thing.

I 've only ever worked with an oxy acet. torch for cutting - was doing a demolition job when I was in college cutting pipes and some steel beams out of an old warehouse.  Thirty feet off the ground, sitting on a 6" wide steel beam, cutting some pipe free.  A bit of slag drops in my boot and all I can do up there is just sit and enjoy the ride while it burned into my foot.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Flashed myself a few times
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Welding with shorts: Done it, nothing like a little flashburn on the inner thigh.
Flipped up the helmet and struck an arc: yup
Ran the new MIG with a #5 filter stead of an 11: Uh huh.
Welding in a puddle, while leaning on the ground:  yessir, that was me.
Grabbed for the stick to change it, put it through my glove, into my palm.  Ouch.

cant count how many times Ive flashed myself trying to do 'just a little one to hold it on'

Thanks goodness I only weld to fix my own stuff.

Too bad I run heavy equipment.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
It didnt happen to me, but a friend I used to work with used to crawl with the tig filler in his mouth well one day he arced on it by accident with high frequency with it still in his mouth.  I laughed my ass off.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Back in A&P school, I was just learning OxyAcetaline, and when my teacher came up to talk to me, I just dropped my arm to the side with out turning the torch off.  I never seen a fat man move so fast to put out a fire.

Also when stick welding and GTA (Tig) I've taken tow pieces of metal that I welded, with pliers and shoved them in my back pocket, they came back out pretty quickly
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to work with my brother in a Turbine Components Repair Facility where most of stuff and parts were TIG welded on tabels that were grounded.......oughta see some of the reactions with folks whose grounds were moved to their chairand they depress the pedal

thats likely some of the funniest shit I've ever seen

**edited for bad grammar
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Sheesh.  Isn't TIG medium-high voltage DC?  Damn!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#36]
burning in a new muffler.  Laying on my back and had a disposable lighter in my shirt pocket....when a drop of molten metal dripped and burned through the plastic....well, it was almost as entertaining as tannerite but a lot more painful

ETA:  WOOHOO!  First post as a team member!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Weld outside while standing in a mud puddle.... and (same job)

I once lifted a 2-ton bin of 1/4" punchings/scrap with an overhead crane and proceeded to strike the top of the punch press. This started the bin swinging in ever-wider arcs. It then tipped completely over, dropping that two tons of sharp edged steel scrap on top of mine and two other guys oxy and acetylene hoses, cutting them to shreds and releasing vast clouds of the mixed gases around this pile of steel inside a fabrication plant

Then my boss found out I was only 17, so he kindly let me go before I killed myself or somebody else.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#38]
No bad welding experiences... I did watch a kid pick up one of my hot-from-the-forge pieces a few years back... he had an elbow cop burned into his hand.  Genius.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I needed to light a cigarette, so I clipped the ground to my leg and touched the rod to the end of my cig.  Worked just fine, no accidents here!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Caught Jeep grill on fire (being too lazy & didn't grind enough paint off)

Caught pant leg on fire (burn off everything below the knee)

Caught neighbors grass on fire (trying to put out pants on fire)

I guess I have pretty bad luck with fire
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I was sitting at a bench gas welding, when I got done I took off my glasses to look at my work. I put my right hand on my leg, but the welding rod was still in my hand and went right through my jeans and into my leg. Ouch!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Didn't have a helmet one time so I was stick welding with sunglasses.  Thought I got away with it till the next day, which was Easter.  Talk about some funny looking Easter Pics, but then again I couldn't hardly see well enough to know they were taking pictures.

BTW, found out holding a raw potato, cut in half, on your eyes helps soothe/heal welding burns to your eyes.

I'd just as soon never found that out.  At least not that way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Did not know my brother had drained his fuel filter in the pan with the motor oil.

Spark, fire, fire extinguisher.

Outside the shop.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Gas welding and had a hot tip rod in left hand.  I was starting another weld, lit the torch in the right hand and grabbed the rod in the left.  I needed to push up the rod to fit right in my hand so I slide it up by resting it on my thigh.  Burned a little hole thru my pants and in my skin.  Ouchie but seared the shallow puncture wound.  3 more inches and it would have touched my family jewels!

Got a little tatto-dot as a scar to remind me!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Had my tongue sticking out while i was chipping fresh hot slag!!!!!! That damn water fountain was nowhere close as it should have been!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#47]
When I was a kid I threw a pack of firecrackers at my uncles feet when he was welding, got chased all over the yard and half way across the neighborhood for that one. I've also caught myself on fire, been told I dance quite well aside from the screaming.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#48]
In highschool welding too far from the welder so we had 2 cables clamped together.  Well, they pulled apart, so I want back to put them together while my buddy was welding.  He ran the bead and finished and I never got the terminals together.  My arms were real sore and my hair was standing up a little.
Last winter playin around melting wires with the welder by sticking them to a piece of scrap with the welder on 300 and watching them melt.  Well, the entire shop is on 100 amp service and it blew a fuse out.  it was at night and no flashlights.  to get the lights to work, we had to have the welder grounded out to energize the side of the box that was dead to see to fix it.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I needed to light a cigarette, so I clipped the ground to my leg and touched the rod to the end of my cig.  Worked just fine, no accidents here!!

You know your redneck  when.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#50]
While tig welding on a biplane fusalage i got between the groung and weld point  with short sleeves on had my arm resting on the lower longeron and steped on the ampcontrol and the high frequecy really lit me up. Dont get between the ground and the arc. It was like getting hit with a stun gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top