Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 6:13:46 AM EDT
Did anyone see MJF sitting there next to Theresa Hienz Skerry? Between him and Reeve, they make it seem like Foxes last hope is for John Skerry to get elected to make us pay tax dollars to fund stem cell research against our will.

Well this brings me to the WTF part - With all this guys millions from Family Ties, Back to the Future, etc., He can't afford to pay for his own damn self? I mean, If that were me I would be spending every last dime of my millions to try to find a cure for myself. But no, Shaky wants us to pay for his cure while he keeps his precious millions! WTF!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Christopher Reeves and MJF never supported either relative charity until they were afflicted.  Both have used their illness to further their bank accounts and through our sympathy, try to get you and me to foot the bill.  Call me cold, but I have no compassion for these sorts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you for real?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I think Fox is more interested in leading the charge for other folks in need of stem cell research.  He's just championing the cause.  He knows he's fucked.  Just say a prayer for him.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah - I'd think he would be able to get all his "good friends" in Hollywood to chip in on building some sort of Matrix-looking baby-organ harvesting machine.  Then they could breed and kill babies to server their own needs at their leisure.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Reminds me of the South Park with Reeve in it - snapping fetuses in half and sucking out their stem cells.  Sick, but damn funny.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah - I'd think he would be able to get all his "good friends" in Hollywood to chip in on building some sort of Matrix-looking baby-organ harvesting machine.  Then they could breed and kill babies to server their own needs at their leisure.

www.indiana.edu/~teleweb/cyberia/week8/matrix25.jpg

I see no problem with cloning babies with no brain for organs -- in fact it is a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Excuse me, but Michael J. Fox is a CANADIAN....

Why the hell doesn't he go home and take advantage of all that wonderful socialized medicine they have up there?

Oh, that's right, he's an elitist leftist, not a dedicated idealog.

George Orwell said it best when he said; "Some animals are more equal than others".
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see no problem with cloning babies with no brain for organs -- in fact it is a good idea.

Takes one to know one

Quoted:
Reminds me of the South Park with Reeve in it - snapping fetuses in half and sucking out their stem cells.  Sick, but damn funny.

This one?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Mikey shouldn't even have a say! He's a Canadian !!!!! Ship his "shakey" azz home!!!

Am i sensitive and politically correct or what?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If stem cell research is so f'in great, then why aren't private companies funding it?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell that describes half of the people in the US.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell that describes half of the people in the US.

And facts like that sometimes make me wonder if we deserve to survive as a nation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the primary argument against cloning.  The rich would establish farms of well fed and exercised human beings with just enough brains to keep them moving.  If an organ was required, it would be harvested from their exact DNA match.  No rejection drugs needed, the organ would be in excellent condition having never been subjected to alcohol, drugs, cigarette smoke, pollution, etc.
If we sink to this level, we are truly lost.  It might be scientifically possible, but it is morally wrong.

In situations where stem cells are needed and can be harvested without harming infants, I have no problem with it.

As far as MJF goes, he needs to head north, sign up for their socialized medicine and see if they can help him.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Christopher Reeves and MJF never supported either relative charity until they were afflicted.  Both have used their illness to further their bank accounts and through our sympathy, try to get you and me to foot the bill.  Call me cold, but I have no compassion for these sorts.

+1

A real hero to a cause is someone who isn't affected by the illness.  Like someone said in an email to me this morning, If I was injured in an accident that turned my pee-pee inside out and caused urine to shoot out my nose, you can bet your life that I devote some time towards finding a cure for inside out penisitis!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
One great question I always ask pro-embryonic stem cell people is -

"What is your position on vivisection (using live lab animals for experimentation)? Do you think that using lab animals to discover cures to disease is justified?"

Invariably, they are against it....despite the fact that animal testing has generated more advances in medicine than anyother research form.

So, their position is that you can kill human babies based an unproven technology but you shouldn't test on a pig, dog or kitten even though the animals have unlocked more medical mysteries over the course of history....

They are life stealers...God damn assassins
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...  The rich would establish farms of well fed and exercised human beings with just enough brains to keep them moving.  

I think you're describing Walmart...

Question for everyone:  What you would YOU do for health-care research and development if you were wealthy and famous?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

"What is your position on vivisection (using live lab animals for experimentation)? Do you think that using lab animals to discover cures to disease is justified?"

Invariably, they are against it....despite the fact that animal testing has generated more advances in medicine than anyother research form.

So, their position is that you can kill human babies based an unproven technology but you shouldn't test on a pig, dog or kitten even though the animals have unlocked more medical mysteries over the course of history....

You havent talked to any such people obviously.

I am for embryonic stem cell research AND I am for animal research.  In fact you cannot have embryonic stem cell research without animal research.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  The rich would establish farms of well fed and exercised human beings with just enough brains to keep them moving.  

Question for everyone:  What you would YOU do for health-care research and development if you were wealthy and famous?

It doesn't work that way, why don't you try educating yourself on the matter before you spout off.  Try thinking for yourself instead of letting your preacher do it for you.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am for embryonic stem cell research AND I am for animal research.  In fact you cannot have embryonic stem cell research without animal research.  

Me too.

And I'm FOR capital punishment.

Mine is an angry god, eh!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't work that way, why don't you try educating yourself on the matter before you spout off.  Try thinking for yourself instead of letting your preacher do it for you.

wtf, over?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I have you cornhole.  You are clearly in the minority ---- most don't know the linkage between the two sciences and most have EMOTIONAL responses to animal research whereas, they feel no such response to embryos.

Do you understand what I am saying now? You see, people don't want to think about cracking little kitten spines when you can do research on a cell....not understanding that breaking that kitten's back is a integral part of the process with or without the stem cell research.

Go back under your bridge you troll
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
My whole point is that elitist people like Mikey Fox want to keep their millions and use our money to help them when they should exaust every penny they ever made to help themselves.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Screw MJF. He needs to quit playing the victim. Lets kill babies so tht MJF can feel better about himself, Screw that. What a bastard
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#24]

I don't think you have a clear understanding of how this stuff works.  That is just fantastic bullshit drummed up by a bunch of mystics who faith healing practices have utterly failed to reduce human suffering.  There will never be a time when we grow humans without  brains in order to harvest the organs.  

Trying to tie stem cell research into the abortion debate is just plain wrongheaded.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Excuse me, but Michael J. Fox is a CANADIAN....

Why the hell doesn't he go home and take advantage of all that wonderful socialized medicine they have up there?

Oh, that's right, he's an elitist leftist, not a dedicated idealog.

George Orwell said it best when he said; "Some animals are more equal than others".

Michael J Fox is a Canadian who lives in New York or Conneticut and is making Television commercials playing in California avocating passing Proposition 71. Prop 71 is a 3 Billion dollar bond measure to fund stem cell research.  This will put California more in debt and hurt its credit rating even more.  I'm not against stem cell research, I just don't think the Government needs to fund it.  I don't want to fund it through higher taxes which is what a bond measure is.  i can't believe people vote to raise thier own taxes through bond measures, do they not know that they will have to pay higher taxes?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#26]
To try and put this thread back into a more civilized tone...MJF is championing a cause.  The people in charge of it are probably using him because of his name recognition and his affliction.  I hope he finds a cure.  I'm certain that there must be another way than to to add a burden to an already over taxed state like California.

By the way, is there a way to obtain the neccessary amount of stem cells without harm to infants?

As far as the cloning goes, I don't think it's all far fetched to believe that in the future a very rich person could have themselves cloned, the clones lobotomized, and then raised on a remote farm strictly for the purpose of spare parts.  Once cloning is perfected, what's to stop them?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#27]
other stem cell avenues:
Adult stem cells
Placenta (collected after birth)
Umbilical cord (collected after birth)

also through private funding...the case here is GOVERNMENT FUNDING of stem cell research. Industry can do it if they want and can get stem cells from overseas etc...

You have to ask yourself if you want the government to continue to pay for this research (remember it already has funded stem cells research - but limited the number of lines to 70)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top