Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 2:32:52 AM EDT
Per a story on World Net Daily...

Kerry could change mind on same-sex marriage
Tells homosexual-activist magazine 'I don't predict the future'

Posted: October 14, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com
In an interview with the homosexual-activist magazine The Advocate, Sen. John Kerry said he might change his mind in the future and decide to support same-sex marriage.
Introducing the interview in its Oct. 26 issue, the magazine notes an "estimated 4 million gay and lesbian voters could determine the outcome of perhaps the closest presidential race in U.S. history."
Kerry was asked, "Would you ever change your mind regarding same-sex marriage?"
The senator responded, "I have my view, and my view is my view. I can't tell you in 20 years or whenever, if someone made a persuasive argument, the world changes. You know, George Bush just changed his mind on a national security director, and he changed his mind on raiding Social Security, and he changed his mind on homeland security. So I don't predict the future. What I tell you is that my position is what it is."
As WND reported, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Policy Institute has declared the Edwards-Kerry presidential ticket the most "gay-supportive" in the history of the U.S.
The campain website boasts Kerry has a 100 percent rating from the Human Rights Campain, the nation's largest homosexual-rights group.
Kerry sat down for the exclusive interview with The Advocate shortly after speaking to a group of senior citizens in Des Moines, Iowa.
The magazine said that since 1992, every Democratic nominee for president has given The Advocate an interview, "but Kerry is the only one with the mettle to do it this close to an election."
The presidential candidate also was asked why homosexual Americans should vote for him, since he does not support same-sex marriage.
"Because I have a 35-year lifetime record of fighting for equality," he said. "Because the difference between me and George Bush will be the difference to gay and lesbian couples and individuals across this country – whether rights are afforded them or whether or not they are discriminated against.
"I would urge the community to not get into a place of rigidity and narrowness where they can't view the whole and what is at stake," he continued. "I am for civil unions. Tell me, what presidential candidate in the history of the nation has supported that? I'm for equality with respect to hate crimes and ENDA [Employment Non-Discrimination Act]. Tell me, what presidential candidate has supported those before? I believe that this is important for the community like no other race historically."
WND reported last month Kerry was caught in two apparent flip-flops on same-sex marriage in an interview with another homosexual magazine.
Confronted with his previous statement of support for Missouri's ban on same-sex marriage, the Democratic presidential candidate told Between the Lines magazine his position was based on the assumption the measure, passed in August by 71 percent, also barred civil unions.
But that amendment, in fact, does not address Vermont-style civil unions at all.
The interviewer, Lisa Keen, noted in the text that it was only after the Sept. 9 conversation with Kerry that she learned the Missouri initiative does not explicitly ban civil unions, unlike measures in Michigan and Ohio.
Also, in his attempt to dismiss the necessity of the Federal Marriage Amendment, Kerry contradicted a previous assertion about states rights. On the previous occasion, in 1996, he used the opposite interpretation of the Constitution to disparage the Defense of Marriage Act.

Link to the original story.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top