Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 1:52:21 AM EDT
I'm sitting here playing with the detachable foot flash for my camera. I aimed it at the other side of the room, but about 20" line of sight from my laptop. I flashed it, and all of a sudden the laptop screen went to vertical multicolored lines for about 20 seconds, then back to normal. Anyone got any ideas why this happened?

I am not hallucinating, either.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Aliens.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you move the screen?

Someitmes the power changing will mess with them, my speakers crack when I turn on or off anything in that room
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm sitting here playing with the detachable foot flash for my camera. I aimed it at the other side of the room, but about 20" line of sight from my laptop. I flashed it, and all of a sudden the laptop screen went to vertical multicolored lines for about 20 seconds, then back to normal. Anyone got any ideas why this happened?

I am not hallucinating, either.

It always happens when there's a change in the matrix. Shoulda taken the blue pill.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
EMP
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:57:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you move the screen?

Someitmes the power changing will mess with them, my speakers crack when I turn on or off anything in that room

It's a battery powered flash, so I don't think the power screwed with it. Unless the brightness of the flash screwed with the liquid crystals. Interesting, still.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Strobes put out a lot of energy when they discharge.  Sound's like your notebook video circuit got spiked by it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Strobes put out a lot of energy when they discharge.  Sound's like your notebook video circuit got spiked by it.

I take it this would be a form of EMP?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:25:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Is the flash IR slaved , and does your laptop have an IR port ?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:54:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It always happens when there's a change in the matrix. Shoulda taken the blue pill.

Damn.....beat me to it!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#10]
EMP is right. That is basically all a flash is. It is just spread out and not concentrated like on video games. When you touched it off, you did spike your lap top. I'm not an electrical genius but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#11]
EMF, EMP and RF spike. Put that flash next to an AM radio, and listen to it as it charges up, and then discharges rapidly during the flash. Powerful little sucker.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
do it again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top