Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 7:58:38 PM EDT
I bought one of these front load washers almost 2 years ago.  My wife and I liked the idea of the quiet operation and lower water and power useage.  It cost a whopping $1000.  I think the Whirlpool washer it replaced cost only $350 or so and lasted 10 years, before the motor fried and I tossed it figuring it was not worth repairing.  Well there was a class action brought against Maytag for some problems that have plagued the Neptune line for some time.  Mold is a big issue as well as some reoccuring mechanical troubles.  

Mine crapped out the other day and spit out a code "nd"....no discharge.  So you figure the pump is either clogger or bad right??  I wasn't sure how long the warranty was for so I looked through the paperwork and find out the labor is not covered, but some parts still are.  I call them up and describe the problem to them and they tell me a service call runs $119 in my area..........I tell them to go ahead and send someone.  They get here and spend a whole 11 minutes and tell me the pump is bad....and they don't have one in the truck and will be back 2 days later.   I hope they don't expect me to pay for the second visit....when they should have had the part the first time.   I wanted them to change out the moldy gasket as well, since the parts are covered and they tell me I have to contact Maytag directly to get a special authorization due to the class action and all.  What a pain......I should have bought a cheapie as I would have messed wi5th that myself......or had no problem dumping it for a new one.  Anyone else have this model washer and filing a claim for past repairs?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just had mine serviced.

I actually had the updated model with the drain at the bottom of the gasket, but it was clogged - probably from using too much regular detergent - and had the mold problem

Luckily I remembered I had a service contract, though I"ve been living with the problem for awhile now because I forgot I bought the damned thing!  Doh.

I think you'll have to pay for the gasket, then do the class action to recoop costs.  But read the papers - you can get a new washer and/or some extra cash too.

I still think it's a great washer, but Maytag is kinda fucking up the support issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top