Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 6:11:49 PM EDT
i took a major wack to the knee while falling off a dirtbike. there is now fluid in the knee. i searched and it seems common amongst people that work on their knees alot(ok ok no jokes guys) my question is about infection , there are no cuts or puncture to the skin. can i determine if removal of the fluid is needed by myself? treatments?

or shut up and go to the doctor?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]

I'm no doc. If you're worried about infection, go see one.  You don't want septicemia or osteomyelitis  in your knee. I spent a week on IV antibiotics  because of a suspect infection in my knee just  from a small puncture wound.  

Don't waste any time If your knee feels hot to the touch.

Getting the fluid drained can be a bit uncomfortable, but you'll probably feel better in the long run.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It will go away eventually.  All your doc may do is put you in a brace and pressure wrap thinking that if your leg doesn't bend, the fluid will go away.

At least that's what the retarded Lieutenant doc did to me when I had bursitis.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Prepatellar bursitis is not typically an infectious problem. It is inflammatory.

1]NO kneeling on it, NO pressure or blows to it. NONE.

2]It does oftentimes require a brief period off work, or at least limited duty.

3]Ice

4]NSAIDS--ie ibuprofen, naproxen. Provided no problems or risk factors that would contraindicate.

5]TIME. Just don't reinjure it.

6]Ocassionally steroid injections are required.

Watch it for infection and if you suspect that see a doc. Can be tough to tell as an inflammatory bursitis can look virtually the same, esp early on.

This would be outside the knee joint. If the joint spaces are very tender You should consider another diagnosis. I am basing this on you being correct in that. Sounds typical though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top