Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 2:06:00 PM EDT
I'm looking to purchase an engagement ring and I need some information as to what to look for so I don't get ripped off.  I know the diamond market is controlled by DeBeers and the prices are artificially high.  So, I just want info as to what to look for in a diamond.  I'm not looking for anything extravagant, just something nice.  I'm thinking of a platinum band with a simple solitaire diamond.  As for size I was thinking no more than 3/4 carat.  I don't know if the old pocketbook can take more than that at the moment.  All I know is that I want quality over quantity, so it's no problem if it's a smaller rock but better in quality.  Any takers?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Run Forest, Run !!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I know, I know...but I think this relationship will work; afterall, she loves guns just as much as I do!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the best advice you'll get:

Tifanny setting.

Platinum.

Get a Quality diamond; do your research.

Try to get one that's almost a Kt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy used, after all diamonds are millions of years old. No such thing as a new diamond.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
VS 1 or better in clairity

H or better for color and you should be fine.

are you shure you wouldnt like money for a down payment on a house?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Crush your nuts with a brick.  It will hurt less and cost less, and in the long run, you will be much happier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
A, B, or C color. Inclusions are ok but they should be small. Ie; unseeable with the naked eye. Flaws are also ok if they run along a facet. You'll never notice them without a loop. Sometimes this will allow you to go with a bigger rock. My wife's wedding ring has a 3.5 carat B stone with a fairly large flaw. You can only see it at one angle, behind a facet, and only with a loop. Otherwise it has almost no inclusions that you can see, even with a loop. Got a big bargin on it.

Do NOT go to Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, or Target. In fact, I'd recommend trying to find some place local. Ask around for references. Customer satisfaction is a good indicator. Warrenty is nice as well, but beware the small print.

Other than that, enjoy your chunk of compressed carbon.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, how much are we talking here?  I haven't got the slightest clue as to how much any of this stuff will cost.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
VS 1 or better in clairity

H or better for color and you should be fine.

are you shure you wouldnt like money for a down payment on a house?

We're going to use the equity that's available to use from a condo toward the house amd then rent out the condo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#12]
engagement rings are a waste.  Buy her a nice wedding ring, like an anniversary band.  Use the savings to invest in a home or something real.  No sense wasting a ton of money on a ring that will just end up in the drain.  

The only thing that an engagement ring is useful is when you are trying to get a girl to let you into her panties.  If you really want to make a commitment to her knock her up.  Rings last until the pawn shop opens, but a baby lasts forever.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends. Z's engagement ring was only $800. Her wedding ring was $3700.

I offered to buy her a matched set of Kimber Concealed Carrys first. Tried to tell her it would be cheaper and more useful.

As noted above:

Run Forrest!!!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]

We need to see pics of the girl first please before we waste our efforts on it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Buy a loose diamond that fits your budget and then pay for a plain white gold or platinum setting, which should make the diamond look more brilliant.

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Just bought one a few months ago.

Got a Candian Diamond, very nice stones...great color.

.80 carat, G, VS1, with platimum mount .  Under $3500.

Purchased out of state so no tax either .
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

LOL. I was waiting for that.  Trust me she's cute and petite, but there's no way I'd post a pic.  I've been here LONG enough to see what happens when  someone posts pics of their lady.  You guys are too vicious!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Oh wait, I found the truth.

Must read: www.blacktable.com/bruno031030.htm

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL. I was waiting for that.  Trust me she's cute and petite, but there's no way I'd post a pic.  I've been here LONG enough to see what happens when  someone posts pics of their lady.  You guys are too vicious!

good call.

on the finding a petite one and not posting pics
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Buy a loose diamond that fits your budget and then pay for a plain white gold or platinum setting, which should make the diamond look more brilliant.

Actually this is what idiot boy (here) did but I went thru a wholeseller (not a shop or dealer).....
after being schooled pwn3d about diamonds by the Fiance and agreement to NO UPGRADES, she yielded 3.21 karat (total: 2.21 solitaire and 1.0 baggets, sp?) on a Plat band.
You do the math (again we agreedno upgrades)  Its a F'n honker on the hand of a 5'-0" 100lbs cutey

BTW the guy I bought it from told me the average couple buys .333 carat and then does the upgrade dance thru the years........
you do the math
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Just go ahead and buy her a house and give her half your stuff.

Its much easier........trust me..............I've done it three times!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just bought one a few months ago.

Got a Candian Diamond, very nice stones...great color.

.80 carat, G, VS1, with platimum mount .  Under $3500.

Purchased out of state so no tax either .

$3,500!  Hmm...maybe this'll have to wait!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually this is what idiot boy (here) did but I went thru a wholeseller (not a shop or dealer).....
after being schooled pwn3d about diamonds by the Fiance and agreement to NO UPGRADES, she yielded 3.21 karat (total: 2.21 solitaire and 1.0 baggets, sp?) on a Plat band.
You do the math (again we agreedno upgrades)  Its a F'n honker on the hand of a 5'-0" 100lbs cutey

BTW the guy I bought it from told me the average couple buys .333 carat and then does the upgrade dance thru the years........
you do the math

Did you put your balls in her purse before or after you sealed your fate on wedding night?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
A, B, or C color. Inclusions are ok but they should be small. Ie; unseeable with the naked eye. Flaws are also ok if they run along a facet. You'll never notice them without a loop. Sometimes this will allow you to go with a bigger rock. My wife's wedding ring has a 3.5 carat B stone with a fairly large flaw. You can only see it at one angle, behind a facet, and only with a loop. Otherwise it has almost no inclusions that you can see, even with a loop. Got a big bargin on it.

Do NOT go to Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, or Target. In fact, I'd recommend trying to find some place local. Ask around for references. Customer satisfaction is a good indicator. Warrenty is nice as well, but beware the small print.

Other than that, enjoy your chunk of compressed carbon.

And get it CERTIFIED???
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#25]
U need a friend like me that can get them at cost. there is a 300% markup on Jewelery from most shops.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Crush your nuts with a brick.  It will hurt less and cost less, and in the long run, you will be much happier.

ain't that the truth
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm beginning to wonder if an engagement ring is worth it?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I got a 1/2 carat marquis cut with .125 baggets on both sides.  Yellow gold 18K with wedding band.  I paid $2800, will sell for 2K  if you are interested IM me
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you do the math

Did you put your balls in her purse before or after you sealed your fate on wedding night?

After,.....
but it sure felt like I slammed them in the her (car) door a few times

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#30]
1st marriage bought the engagement ring niot once but twice - first time wasn't good enough for the future mother-in-law. Seconf marriage NO engagement ring ALL put toward house SHE and I much happier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
U need a friend like me that can get them at cost. there is a 300% markup on Jewelery from most shops.

How about a quality .75 ct solitaire with a platinum band?  Call me cheap, but I don't think I want to toss more than 1500.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:26:32 PM EDT
[#33]
If the fiance isn't creeped out by it check Pawn Shops first.  Get platinum rings - if you don't want to spend that much make sure that at least the prongs are platinum.  Stay away from Tiffany (store) - they are way overpriced for similar/identical rings from any other reputable jewelers.  Don't worry about clarity and color imperfections that you can't see with the naked eye - even the snottiest 'friend' won't examine it with a loupe.  

Edit: 1 ct is about max without getting on the gaudy side.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#34]
So, what can I expect from going to the jewelry stores at the mall and such?  Or should I look in the yellow pages for small jewelry shops?  Damn, this is gonna be worse than I thought.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Just went thru this myself.

We found a local shop who does "custom" jobs on rings... the owner is a customer at her store. His policy is to give 100% exchange on any larger diamond if we want bigger in the future.

I wanted to find her a vs2+ g+ stone, but when it came down to it, all that really mattered was what she was happy with, not the tech specs.

We found an I1 E stone that was 1.3carat for $3300, and he designed her (fairly simple) ring & band for free. I wouldn't normally care for a visibly flawed diamond, but you can't see anything from the top due to the prongs... but you can still see the small inclusions from the side.

He made this ring for a metric buttload less than where you normally would have to get one at (tiffanys)

Glad I took the (soon to be) Mrs along, cause I would have spent 2-3x that much on a smaller stone... and she wouldn't even notice the difference (except for size).
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Nope, not worth it.  

My wife and I picked out her engagement ring at a Fred Meyer store, jewelry counter.   It’s an amethyst set in silver.  On sale even.  $60.  

The same month we bought a town house.  

Priorities.  

I can’t stand spending money just for show.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just went thru this myself.

We found a local shop who does "custom" jobs on rings... the owner is a customer at her store. His policy is to give 100% exchange on any larger diamond if we want bigger in the future.

I wanted to find her a vs2+ g+ stone, but when it came down to it, all that really mattered was what she was happy with, not the tech specs.

We found an I1 E stone that was 1.3carat for $3300, and he designed her (fairly simple) ring & band for free. I wouldn't normally care for a visibly flawed diamond, but you can't see anything from the top due to the prongs... but you can still see the small inclusions from the side.

He made this ring for a metric buttload less than where you normally would have to get one at (tiffanys)

www.tiffany.com/images/diamond/zoom/combination_tiffany_tiffany1.jpg

www.tiffany.com/images/diamond/photo/combination_tiffany.jpg

Glad I took the (soon to be) Mrs along, cause I would have spent 2-3x that much on a smaller stone... and she wouldn't even notice the difference (except for size).

that is great price
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Damn, this is gonna be worse than I thought.

Basically if you go the commercial princess syndrome over hyped bullshit route, you will drop minimum $2k up to $5k.

But if your fiance is realistic, you guys have your priorities and money straight, you can get away with under that or if you shit is straight, you can afford a $2k ring.

Dodged the bullet twice here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, not worth it.  

My wife and I picked out her engagement ring at a Fred Meyer store, jewelry counter.   It’s an amethyst set in silver.  On sale even.  $60.  

Priorities.  

I have to agree with that from a mans point of view. From a womans its totally different. I bought my wife a diamond from a distressed and hurried seller for $7700. It appraised for over 20k. You have to look for bargains. It took me 4 months to find the right deal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#41]
We're both realistic and we both have things together.  She doesn't care about having a big fancy thing, but I just want something nice.  Now that I've learned a little I know I won't fork out more than $1500.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#42]
well ther eyou go If she doesnt care then you are ok for now . In the future just size it up for her when you find a great deal. LOve, i mean sex is not free.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
well ther eyou go If she doesnt care then you are ok for now . In the future just size it up for her when you find a great deal. LOve, i mean sex is not free.

Good to hear, I think the big rings are more for their friends to wow over anyways.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, not worth it.  

Priorities.  

I have to agree with that from a mans point of view. From a womans its totally different. I bought my wife a diamond from a distressed and hurried seller for $7700. It appraised for over 20k. You have to look for bargains. It took me 4 months to find the right deal.

Absolutely, don't go off half cocked (open flame invite) as you will eventually find a wholeseller/dealer.  Ironically, I paid it off in 4 months ($6,800 and change) and it appraised (and insured) for over $15k.  She wasn't about to back off and neither will I on the upgrades. This stuff won't get any cheaper in the future.  Plus anyway, 2 kids and 5 years later the sex just keeps getting .....I mean , uh,..   .. .......          ...what sex?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Learn the 4 Cs:  Color, Carat weight, Clarity, Cut.  Learn more about them here www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/fourcsofdiamonds.html

If the choice is between spending money on clarity or size, go for clarity.  A big diamond with gravel embedded in it looks like crap, while a smaller diamand that looks clear as a teardrop will impress.

Try an estate jewelry shop or used jewelry shop for the best prices.

And finally, if she's a woman who absolutely DEMANDS a huge honking ring, she's a woman who is demanding that you go into debt.  Run away.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Same advice as a gun safe: Get bigger than you think you have to. If you don't do it now, you'll be upgrading later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top