Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2004 1:26:40 PM EDT
I think I want to move there, I wanted to move to CA but everything is too damn expensive and its just insane... I payed 2.39 for gas today!

If I want a small house in a decent area I am looking at 400,000.

I am thinking 3 bed house and I want some room maybe a couple acres? If you could estimate how much money are we looking at to buy a decent house with a little room in a decent area?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#1]
come to gunstock this weekend, give TX a test-drive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think I want to move there, I wanted to move to CA but everything is too damn expensive and its just insane... I payed 2.39 for gas today!

I am thinking 3 bed house and I want some room maybe a couple acres? If you could estimate how much money are we looking at to buy a decent house with a little room in a decent area?

I live in Collin  County.  Jan of 03 we purchased a 2311 square foot new house (2 story) on a 70 x 130 lot with a bunch of upgrades and extras for $130k.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in Collin  County.  Jan of 03 we purchased a 2311 square foot new house (2 story) on a 70 x 130 lot with a bunch of upgrades and extras for $130k.

wow, sounds good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas is the greatest state in the union.  Period.  We have cheap land, good food, loats of beautiful wimmen, Shiner Bock, CHL, and no state income tax.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Skip it. Go straight on to coastal Georgia.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

400k = plenty of money for a house in Texas.

My family is not the richest our house costs us about 50k, while I was on a trip out of state I was surprised that houses similar to ours on smaller plots of land cost over 100k.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
400k will go along ways in Texas. Where in Tx are you looking at?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Texas is the greatest state in the union.  Period.  We have cheap land, good food, loats of beautiful wimmen, Shiner Bock, CHL, and no state income tax.

No shit, really no state income tax?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]

no state income tax

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#10]
400k?

You could do pretty dang good for that much.....

Cost of living here is waaaaaayyyyy better than PRK and we don't have any gun laws (just kidding) but compared to PRK?  

Highest Cost of Living.......probably the Austin Area

Lowest Cost of Living.......likely San Antonio (my favorite and my Saint)

Mid range between the 2 will be DFW and Houston.  All are great choices. I have familiy and friends in and around all of the mentioned.

I live ina  small city on the South side of Houston near NASA,
And our taxes here are 28th hightest in the State (ouch)....
but, per capita, our city has the most handgun permits issued to any City in the State {last years stats]

**edited to add
We don't have acreage but our house is: 3 Bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage and 100 x 110 lot was $129k last year...........and VERY decent neighborhood
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Unless of course you are living in Austin. In which case, expensive property taxes, good food, unshorn Sisters of the Apocolypse or West Lake snobs, Shiner, 30.06 signs, and more hospitol districts than you can shake an illegal immigrants stick at. Living in MN was cheaper even WITH their State income tax.

And the Texas legislator wants to ADD that next. No thanks. Y'all only have so much tech industry here and I'd never be able to make a decent living doing machine work as there isn't that much to do down here.

Later, y'all.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Generally speaking the houses are cheaper than in Calif. Prices depending of course on location of course.

good stuff 'bout Texas.

1. No state income tax
2. People are proud of their state
3. State legislature meets only once every two years!
4. Pro gun state.
5. Vast.
6. Republican dominated.
7. Pickup trucks
8. Austin

Maybe not so good stuff.

1. Hot!
2. Cold! in the northen part.
3. Mosquitos and cockroaches are huge.
4. Not much public lands, most of Texas land is privatly owned.
5. No Rocky Mountains.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Generally speaking the houses are cheaper than in Calif. Prices depending of course on location of course.

4. Pro gun state.
5. Vast.
6. Republican dominated.
7. Pickup trucks

You mean you guys dont sit around and make laws all day?

I probably wouldnt have to get my truck smogged either?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Texas is a great place for:

1.BBQ
2.good land prices
3. great seasons and no hurricanes
4.best hunting(not cheap though)
5.CHL and the ablity by law to walk down the street with your rifle and not get hassled.
6.a place where the arguement with your neighbor is not over weather guns are good or evil but what caliber is best to take when you go grocery shopping.

come to texas!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

good stuff 'bout Texas.

1. No state income tax
2. People are proud of their state
4. Pro gun state.
5. Vast.
6. Republican dominated.
7. Pickup trucks
8. Austin

Maybe not so good stuff.

1. Hot!
2. Cold! in the northen part.
3. Mosquitos and cockroaches are huge.
4. Not much public lands, most of Texas land is privatly owned.
5. No Rocky Mountains.

I don't know about that Austin part.  

We have mountains in the western part of the state.  You should get out of the city some time.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a house in north Austin for sale. 2300 sq' 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage. Fireplace. Let me know if you want more details.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are looking to move to the Houston area, go to www.har.com and check out housing prices.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For about $300k, my parents bought a 3500sq ft house on 6 acres in an exclusive neighborhood.

You can do a hell of a lot for $400k.

I am not saying I want to spend 400K I am just saying it would take that much to get a decent house in my area, and thats just crazy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll sell you mine for $169k. Close to Austin. Minutes from Dell. Literally. Awesome park/community area/swimming pool nearby. No real acreage to the lot, but you won't find anything close to a major city down here that does without paying out the nose. Not sure about DFW or Houston, but you've gotta go an hour out in good traffic to find good deals on land that has a house on it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#21]
dont move to san diego $400,000 wont get you much.  you'll need $700,000+ if you want a backyard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#22]
There are plenty of places in Texas where 400k will get you a nice house and enough land for your own rifle range.

Just remember that in 1845, Texas annexed the United States.  In 1861, we discovered that too many damnYankees (and not all Yankees are damnYankees) were moving here, so we gave our two weeks notice and left.  The North was so despondent that they declared war on us just to get us back.  Other southern states saw the injustice of the situation and sided with Texas.

In the end, the north won the argument.  And the only reason the north won was because they had more Irishmen than we had in the South.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Texas:

1. Saltwater fishing is great
2. Deer hunting is some of the best (in terms of rack, small bodies) in the country.
3.  Terrain varies from rugged hills to desert to rolling plains to coastal flats to pine woods.
4.  Women, Hot Women, Hot medically-enhanced women, who like to fuck.
5. Must issue state for conceal handgun license, if you meet the requirements (basically not a  
   felon) the must issue your CHL.
6. It is further from Texarkana to El PAso than it is from El Paso to Los Angeles.  Big Place
7.  Real Estate is relatively cheap--I live on a bayfont canal and am by no means rich.
8. Cost of living is low outside major cities.
9. Titty bars are evrywhere, if you're into that
10. They sell beer in stop-n-go's

This place rules--sayeth the relocated yankee
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I hear there's this really awesome, kick-ass place called Palo Duro Canyon up near Amarillo, TX.

Click on my "user info" if you want to see it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Pick the DFW area. Less humid in the summer compared to Austin, and even farther south. Cheap, clean, friendly, and you can live in the sticks, and be a half hour drive from downtown FTW or Dallas. 400k will buy you a HUGE house in a super safe neighborhood, or a real nice house with enough land to have your own range. I wouls stay away from Austin, its like the PRK. Tons of liberals and idiot college students.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#27]
My sister lives in TX (FW, Benbrook) and I love it.  Best state in the union to live in IMO.  I'd jump on a chance to move there.  No income tax, lowest gas prices in the nation, reasonable property taxes, can buy ALOT of house for your money.  Good for guns and hunting.  Really friendly, down-to-earth people.  Easy to enjoy a high quality of life there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in the peoples republic of Michigan.  But I had the pleasure of working down 45 min southwest of FT.Worth this spring.  God dam it was really nice.  The people suprised me the most I have never met nicer people anywhere in the world.  I have thought about if I were to move it would be to TEXAS.  But then I would be concidered a dam Yankee.  I think I could get out of that stereotype though.  Texas was awesome and man there are the finest looking women I have seen anywhere no shit.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Texas was awesome and man there are the finest looking women I have seen anywhere no shit.  

Yeah I agree I live in CA but I have to admit the girls in Texas are also very nice, alot of blondes!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#30]
if you catch somebody stealing your shit you can shoot them, legally
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
oh yeah, I dont think I am going to leave CA but just to make things interesting If one wanted to be a police officer in Tex how much education is required?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
oh yeah, I dont think I am going to leave CA but just to make things interesting If one wanted to be a police officer in Tex how much education is required?

13 minutes of 3rd grade according to the local cops..................

if i remember right, for the good paying suburb jobs they wanted 90 credit hours of college at least
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#33]
somebody tell me about Texas?

Its big.  Learn to speak spanish.  Its big.  Its rather warm during the summers, and not too bad during the winter.  Its big.

Did I mention Texas is big?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
They can't beat the Oklahoma Sooners to save their ass!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Look, you know you need to leave California. With what's already mentioned, can you really not be convinced to move here. Heck, one more year of Gunstock, and it may become a State Holiday!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Texas is where God lives. It's the greatest state in the U.S.

400K can get you a mansion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#37]
If your serious about moving to Texas, I'd suggest checking out the Texas Hill Country.
Im  currently living in Kerrville Tx,  it also  close to Fredericksburg Tx,  its a German Town,also Banderia Tx, is aka  Cowboy Capital of Texas.
If  you like hunting &  shooting  and senic views and rivers etc, this  is  the  place  to live.

San Antonio is only  50 miles away,aalso Austin Tx  is  not  far away, than theirs New Braunville,nice rapid  riding there and camping.

400K,  you  can live in River Hills,golf  course etc and club  or  you can get yourself a small ranch.

TG
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

We have ZERO public land (for shooting). So if you're used to shooting anywhere you want its going to be a HUGE disapointment.  Be ready to shell out $9 to shoot and another $5 to $9 PER GUN.

What kind of work do you do?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#39]
yep, the citizens own the land.......................how awful
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If your serious about moving to Texas, I'd suggest checking out the Texas Hill Country.
Im  currently living in Kerrville Tx,  it also  close to Fredericksburg Tx,  its a German Town,also Banderia Tx, is aka  Cowboy Capital of Texas.
If  you like hunting &  shooting  and senic views and rivers etc, this  is  the  place  to live.

San Antonio is only  50 miles away,aalso Austin Tx  is  not  far away, than theirs New Braunville,nice rapid  riding there and camping.

400K,  you  can live in River Hills,golf  course etc and club  or  you can get yourself a small ranch.

TG

I've stayed in Kerrville a few times while traveling across Texas, and drove around some in the evening and the following mornings.  It is one NICE town.  It's a town like those they make movies about "the way things used to be"  (in the best sense).  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
yep, the citizens own the land.......................how awful

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Property tax in Travis county is a bitch.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:59:52 PM EDT
[#43]
if it were me, instead of 400k on a big ass house, i'd spend 500k on a nice house on 300 acres in south texas, and start lookin for a 1k-2k acre place to buy for hunting.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Id look into moving, while my area is gun friendly, lack of decent jobs screw me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Lord the house I grew up is worth 360k it doesn't even sit on an acre. Fuck the burbs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless of course you are living in Austin. In which case, expensive property taxes, good food, unshorn Sisters of the Apocolypse or West Lake snobs, Shiner, 30.06 signs, and more hospitol districts than you can shake an illegal immigrants stick at. Living in MN was cheaper even WITH their State income tax.

And the Texas legislator wants to ADD that next. No thanks. Y'all only have so much tech industry here and I'd never be able to make a decent living doing machine work as there isn't that much to do down here.

Later, y'all.

You have to keep in mind,  when people gripe about how expensive it is to live in Austin they are comparing it to the REST of Texas. Not the rest of the country.

The wife and I are looking at a home with Lake Travis view.  3 bedroom, 2 bath,  workshop and three car garage,  covered deck,  3/4 acre lot.  and to top it all off, a shorter commute.  All of 168K.  Considering my current house cost 38K in 1992,   is paid for, and is now worth 110K,  (mainly thanks to people from California) it's not going to be much of a problem.

Gas this morning was 1.64$.

Taxes?  Since I don't actually live in the CITY of Austin,  my taxes last year were roughly  1000$.  Most of that school district.  There is only one hospital district, they charged me a massive 47$.   Most of the other taxes (CapMetro etc) I don't pay.

30.06 signs?  Can't remember the last time I saw one other than at a bar.

West lake snobs and daughters of the Apocalypse,  well, they're just job security and high entertainment value.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Umm from an Aussies view...Texas is small but for some reason, Yanks think its big?

Sounds like a good place to live...*marks it down as possible future place to live*
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Going to vary a lot from dept to dept.  Most of the better depts require a degree.  Military or prior LE  experience can be substituted for a little of that.  Mustang Ridge,  (south of Austin) just requires you to have a pulse.   Of course,  Mustang Ridge officers take home around 800 a month.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Texas:

1. Saltwater fishing is great
2. Deer hunting is some of the best (in terms of rack, small bodies) in the country.
3.  Terrain varies from rugged hills to desert to rolling plains to coastal flats to pine woods.
4.  Women, Hot Women, Hot medically-enhanced women, who like to fuck.
5. Must issue state for conceal handgun license, if you meet the requirements (basically not a  
   felon) the must issue your CHL.
6. It is further from Texarkana to El PAso than it is from El Paso to Los Angeles.  Big Place
7.  Real Estate is relatively cheap--I live on a bayfont canal and am by no means rich.
8. Cost of living is low outside major cities.
9. Titty bars are evrywhere, if you're into that
10. They sell beer in stop-n-go's

This place rules--sayeth the relocated yankee

They should just hire you to do the PR work for the State Tourism
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Umm from an Aussies view...Texas is small but for some reason, Yanks think its big?

Sounds like a good place to live...*marks it down as possible future place to live*

Actually, Alaska is big. Split it in half and Texas would STILL be the third largest State... Who wants to deal with 8 month winters and swarms of mosquitos that literally blacken the sky? Although they do have better carry laws, little taxes, and may be getting a voter referendum to de-crim pot. Too bad they really don't have much in the way of big industry....

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top