Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2001 9:26:29 AM EDT
In all the years this has been going on, i often wondered how many times they have taken pot shots at the mexicans......they must, don`t you think?.....[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Rules of Engagement are pretty rigid. You're risking an international incident when you shoot at the border.

I'm betting that they operate by the book.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By black&green:
In all the years this has been going on, i often wondered how many times they have taken pot shots at the mexicans......they must, don`t you think?.....[sniper]
View Quote

Very doubtful...

Rick
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
90% of these people are just poor peons looking for a better life.  Half the time they're chasing them, they're also trying to stop them from risking their lives in dangerous gambles to cross the border.  With all the commercial traffic between the US and Mexico, smuggling is generally passive in that it's hidden in cargo, etc.  Most of the Customs stuff is the same.  

Smugglers and other criminals are serious desperados though to be sure.  The Border Patrol has a colorful history in shooting it out with real banditos.  So it's not a safe profession.

BP agents are some of the best trackers in the world though believe it or not.  They can usually tell right away if it's a bunch of families, or a couple of smugglers.  If they run across a mixed group of them, then they will also try to protect the illegals from the criminals even if they're all trying to cross the border in the same mob.  That means sorting out illegals (similar to refugees in level of threat) from bad guys right on the spot, usually at night, alone or with little back-up.  

I doubt that there's too many Law Enforcment officers that take pot shots at men, women, and children who are just crossing the second easiest border in the world to transit.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
90% of these people are just poor peons looking for a better life.  Half the time they're chasing them, they're also trying to stop them from risking their lives in dangerous gambles to cross the border.  With all the commercial traffic between the US and Mexico, smuggling is generally passive in that it's hidden in cargo, etc.  Most of the Customs stuff is the same.  

Smugglers and other criminals are serious desperados though to be sure.  The Border Patrol has a colorful history in shooting it out with real banditos.  So it's not a safe profession.

BP agents are some of the best trackers in the world though believe it or not.  They can usually tell right away if it's a bunch of families, or a couple of smugglers.  If they run across a mixed group of them, then they will also try to protect the illegals from the criminals even if they're all trying to cross the border in the same mob.  That means sorting out illegals (similar to refugees in level of threat) from bad guys right on the spot, usually at night, alone or with little back-up.  

I doubt that there's too many Law Enforcment officers that take pot shots at men, women, and children who are just crossing the second easiest border in the world to transit.  

Ross
View Quote
                                        A good friend of mine was a b/p agent for a time. i`m going to get ahold of him and get his input on this....i`ve always been meaning to ask him, but when i see him, we get going on old times and so far i have always forgot! these were not his better days anyway, but i will make it a point to find out.....thought someone on the board might have some experience on it.......[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
BPA's DO NOT take pot shots at anyone, illegal or otherwise.  Only in situations where the agent, his partner, or an innocent third party are in danger of grevious bodily injury, do BP's clear leather and discharge their weapons.  Of course the perception of what an imminent threat consists of, varies depending on the location and the politics of the area along the border.  

MG
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mean Green:
BPA's DO NOT take pot shots at anyone, illegal or otherwise.....
MG
View Quote

Maybe not to kill, but the San Diego U.S. Attorney's office did prosecute one last year who shot at & sank a boat or raft that several were using to cross the Rio.

[red][size=4]PRK
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
This isn't meant to be mean, but do you remember the Mel Brooks movie where the king in the Middle Ages had serfs launched from a catapult.  He would yell "pull" and then shoot at them as they flew by. "Serf/clay pigeons"

Anyway, what if a catapult was built on the south side of the Rio Grande where some illegal alien runner could sell cheap flights to the USA.Then we all could wait on the north side with our best bird guns.  Maybe a BPA could be there to yell "pull".  Guys, I am not anti-Mexican.  I love people whoever they are, not because of who they are but for their values.  I'm an Alan Keyes guy!  But, I sure hate illegal immigration...it is a serious violation of our sovereignty.   I wish BPAs really could shoot as in the days of agent Bill Jordan author of "Unrepentent Sinner". Read it and find out what BPAs used to be like.  They used their guns!! People respected the border!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Surely noone shoots at mexicans, unless a crime is bein committed. I've got a friend that's a border patrol agent, and he's never heard of anyone doing such a thing.

Mikie
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they find more near death illegals crossing the border than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Not many die....I hear of 5 or so now and then.  Just one ranch in New Mexico calculates over 300,000 enter across its lands per year.  Some 55,000 a month into Soutern Kal.  20+ million in the last 20 years.  La Raza, (the Hispanic sovereingty movement in So Kal) swears they will take back the Southwest, at which time the "white man can get the Hell out!" That sort of makes me angry!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with ar15robert on that. Most of the illegals trying to get in the US are mostly ill and dying and just need help. GOd knows the water down there will give you dyspnea, gonorhea, and who knows what else.

Mikie
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Border Patrol is rumored to be one of the better trained organizations.  I've heard of something called the BOTac training center near El Paso that's supposed to be state-of-the-art.  They've got a pretty good reputation.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
PRK, let me clarify a few facts regarding your post.  First it wasn't the Rio, it was the New River in Calexico.  Think about it.  Why would an attorney in San Diego prosecute an agent in Texas.  Also, the reason he didn't prosecute is because there was NO evidence that anyone had been killed or injured.  The only reason the Attorney knew about it is because the agent in question had a guilty conscience and dimed himself out to his superiors.  He apparently thought that some may not have made it across and drowned.

Lastly, the agent sunk the raft with a PELLET GUN.  He did not use his service pistol or any government owned longarm.  I'm pretty sure he got some days off w/o pay for using extremely poor judgement though.

MG
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mean Green:
PRK, let me clarify a few facts regarding your post.  First it wasn't the Rio, it was the New River in Calexico.  Think about it.  Why would an attorney in San Diego prosecute an agent in Texas.  Also, the reason he didn't prosecute is because there was NO evidence that anyone had been killed or injured.  The only reason the Attorney knew about it is because the agent in question had a guilty conscience and dimed himself out to his superiors.  He apparently thought that some may not have made it across and drowned.

Lastly, the agent sunk the raft with a PELLET GUN.  He did not use his service pistol or any government owned longarm.  I'm pretty sure he got some days off w/o pay for using extremely poor judgement though.

MG
View Quote

Thanks for the corrections.  I just looked up the article and found that in fact he agreed back then to resign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top