Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 11:32:27 AM EDT
Well, I found out how to disable the oh-so-convenient GPS locator feature on my new cell phone, so far as the great nanny will allow it. It is now (supposedly) set to "E911 Only," which is supposed to mean that "only" emergency services can track the phone. What a relief.

I have no interest in anybody but me knowing where my phone is. Any idea how to disable this Orwellian remnant - that is, to kill this electronic incubus altogether, without killing the phone?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Self-serving bump, and an addition. The GPS locator feature doesn't tell the telephone user squat; it tell the phone company where the phone is, and will tell "emergency services" where it is. The law which requires the inclusion of the feature places no restrictions on use of the technology or information.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Hate to put it this way but... Buy another phone. Not all phones have the option to completely disable the GPS/911 mode. FWIW, I don't mind it being on for the 911 calls.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top