Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 11:29:21 AM EDT
I am looking at the HK series of pistols (die hard 1911 fan).
I like them but am wondering if they can be converted to SA only?
I like the cocked and locked feature and plan to carry the pistol in condition one or three.    I hope you can disconnect something or grid off something to make them single action only.  I don’t care if the decocker works or not afterward.  I don’t want to live with a DA/SA and I would like to have something truly unique.  

So can and how do you do it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can.  They have a number of trigger options and they are pretty modular.  You should just be able to switch out the parts.  I owuld contact HK about doing this work.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
nope, I don't think it is possible. You might wanna call HK and see if you could have one made. But it probabl;y cost alot. Unless you know of someone who could modify one into SAO. I like the da/sa on my HK's. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
nope, I don't think it is possible. You might wanna call HK and see if you could have one made. But it probabl;y cost alot. Unless you know of someone who could modify one into SAO. I like the da/sa on my HK's. Thanks Arvin

You are correct, they do not come in SA only.  They are SA/DA or DA only.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#4]
An HK armorer needs to do the work. I do believe it is possible.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Post this ?? over on HKPRO.com
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#6]
If you only want SA 1911 in C3, why the HK USP at all?  I don't understand the point of what you are going for.  Are you just wanting a polymer frame 1911?  Do you just want something made by HK?  If so, why complicate what you want by messing with an already good pistol that starts (and finishes) as something other than what you intend?  It sounds like an expensive mess to me tht would be better spent pursuing a custom 1911.

If you really want to carry the DA/SA USP in C3, just carry in C3 and leave the DA alone for if you ever need/want it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
from a Hk site

Choice of Nine Different Control Arrangements

By using a modular approach to the internal components, the control functions of the HK USP can be switched from the left to the right side of the pistol for left handed shooters. The USP can also be converted from one type of trigger/firing mode to another. This includes combination double-action and single-action (DA/SA) modes and double action only modes. This gives a shooter the widest choice of control arrangements. The USP can be modified into virtually any firing mode imaginable. Currently, the USP is available in nine different trigger/firing mode configurations.

Variants I and 2 allow the user to carry the pistol in a single-action mode (cocked and locked) with the manual safety engaged. This same pistol, without modification, can be carried in double-action mode, with or without the manual safety engaged. Variants 3 and 4 provide the user with a frame-mounted decocking lever that does not have the "safe" position. This combination only allows the hammer to be lowered from SA position to DA position. It does not provide the "safe" position to prevent the pistol from firing when the trigger is pulled. For the double action only user, variants 5, 6, and 7 of the USP operate as double action only pistols with a bobbed hammer always returning to the DA position (forward) after each shot is fired. To fire each shot, the trigger must be pulled through the smooth DA trigger pull. Variants 5 and 6 have a manual safety lever. No control lever is provided on variant 7. Variants 9 and 10 allow the shooter to carry the pistol in a single-action mode (cocked and locked) with the manual safety engaged. This same pistol, without modification, can be carried in double-action mode (hammer down), with or without the manual safety engaged. The single action mode offers a second strike/double action capability in case of a misfire. The control lever has no decocking function on variants 9 and 10.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am looking at the HK series of pistols (die hard 1911 fan).
I like them but am wondering if they can be converted to SA only?
I like the cocked and locked feature and plan to carry the pistol in condition one or three.    I hope you can disconnect something or grid off something to make them single action only.  I don’t care if the decocker works or not afterward.  I don’t want to live with a DA/SA and I would like to have something truly unique.  

So can and how do you do it?

If you are going to be carrying it cocked and locked why would it matter if it is DA/SA? It will operate exactly like a 1911 would unless you decock it, which if you were to let the hammer down on a 1911 it wouldnt shoot at all.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#9]

from a Hk site

Choice of Nine Different Control Arrangements

By using a modular approach to the internal components, the control functions of the HK USP can be switched from the left to the right side of the pistol for left handed shooters. The USP can also be converted from one type of trigger/firing mode to another. This includes combination double-action and single-action (DA/SA) modes and double action only modes. This gives a shooter the widest choice of control arrangements. The USP can be modified into virtually any firing mode imaginable. Currently, the USP is available in nine different trigger/firing mode configurations.

Variants I and 2 allow the user to carry the pistol in a single-action mode (cocked and locked) with the manual safety engaged. This same pistol, without modification, can be carried in double-action mode, with or without the manual safety engaged. Variants 3 and 4 provide the user with a frame-mounted decocking lever that does not have the "safe" position. This combination only allows the hammer to be lowered from SA position to DA position. It does not provide the "safe" position to prevent the pistol from firing when the trigger is pulled. For the double action only user, variants 5, 6, and 7 of the USP operate as double action only pistols with a bobbed hammer always returning to the DA position (forward) after each shot is fired. To fire each shot, the trigger must be pulled through the smooth DA trigger pull. Variants 5 and 6 have a manual safety lever. No control lever is provided on variant 7. Variants 9 and 10 allow the shooter to carry the pistol in a single-action mode (cocked and locked) with the manual safety engaged. This same pistol, without modification, can be carried in double-action mode (hammer down), with or without the manual safety engaged. The single action mode offers a second strike/double action capability in case of a misfire. The control lever has no decocking function on variants 9 and 10.

There ya go
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Variant models other than Variant 1 available by special order and $25 surcharge)  

Variant 1 DA/SA with control lever (safety/decocking lever) on left V
ariant 2 DA/SA with control lever (safety/decocking lever) on right
Variant 3 DA/SA with control lever (decocking lever) on left
Variant 4 DA/SA with control lever (decocking lever) on right
Variant 5 DAO with control lever (safety lever) on left
Variant 6 DAO with control lever (safety lever) on right
Variant 7 DAO with no control lever
Variant 9 DA/SA with control lever (safety lever) on left
Variant 10 DA/SA with control lever (safety lever) on right

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
i want a polymer high cap gun with the HK reliability and a Single Action trigger.  so no creep or over travel.  it does look like i can modify the internals.

one of my reasons (and this sounds stupid) is during my CHL and tactical shooting classes they make all DA/SA guns shoot the first round DA.  so i want to fudge up instructors.    
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i want a polymer high cap gun with the HK reliability and a Single Action trigger.  so no creep or over travel.  it does look like i can modify the internals.

one of my reasons (and this sounds stupid) is during my CHL and tactical shooting classes they make all DA/SA guns shoot the first round DA.  so i want to fudge up instructors.    

I have a USP 45 full size that is DA/SA...the trigger is BEAUTIFUL.
It does not "creep", or "over travel", and it is my personal favorite of all the handguns I own.

If I were you, I would try it out before you alter it...You might like it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You can, it involves switching out the lever or some part in that area... It has been a while, but I recall the last two variants are the one you are after. All it really does is get rid of the decock feature, which people have been know to decock the pistol if they carry it in Condition-1 and try to use the safety.
They are great guns, really well built... But, they are not like 1911s. They have a pretty high bore-axis. A friend got one in 45 and loved it, until I let him shoot a 1911 and he went and traded it. Not trying to sway you, the USP is a good pistol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You can, it involves switching out the lever or some part in that area... It has been a while, but I recall the last two variants are the one you are after. All it really does is get rid of the decock feature, which people have been know to decock the pistol if they carry it in Condition-1 and try to use the safety.
They are great guns, really well built... But, they are not like 1911s. They have a pretty high bore-axis. A friend got one in 45 and loved it, until I let him shoot a 1911 and he went and traded it. Not trying to sway you, the USP is a good VERY pistol.

fixed it for you
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They are great guns, really well built... But, they are not like 1911s. They have a pretty high bore-axis. A friend got one in 45 and loved it, until I let him shoot a 1911 and he went and traded it. Not trying to sway you, the USP is a good pistol.

that is good to know.
I will probably dissuade me from buying a USP.
Second choice is a Para P-14

thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:36:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally , that was one of the selling points of the USP. I was looking at them when they first came out (was going to waite until they made a .45. That came and went and I still don't have one. )You can/could get them configured however you like.Cocked and locked was also going to be my preferred version.Check into it. Keep us posted. Take care.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The USP has almost the exact same grip to bore axis as a 1911. There is just more meat to the slide on the top, so it looks a lot bigger. Break out the ruler and measure it yourself.

I've been carrying a USP 45 that I changed out the variant plate (to a 9) on for about 4 years now. If you want reliability, go with a USP. If you want a lower-cap, unreliable pistol that is expensive to fix,  requires tools to take down, and is slow to reload because of a small magwell target - go with a 1911.

I've been shooting IDPA for almost 6 years now, and I can't count the number of malfunction drills people with 1911's do. Not to mention that out of the 4 1911's I've owned, not a single one has gone without a major failure in the first 5,000 rounds. By major failure, I mean a part breakage that caused the gun to be rendered inoperable.

This is in contrast to my first USP 45, which has 12,000 logged rounds through it with only one minor failure due to my shitty reload. My Tactical, which I still own, is pushing 10,000 rounds and has yet to have a failure. The USP 45F stainless that I now carry has yet to have a failure as well, and is looking at about 3,000.

The USP is a brick shithouse. It is the final refinement of John Browning's genius idea. HK's customer service is top notch in my experience. I have had 5 dealings with them, 3 of which were for my P7's, two of which were because of mags that the springs would no longer hold the slide back reliably. In this case, I sent 5 10 round mags back to them, and was returned 5 *12 round LE marked hicaps*. This floored me, as I expected to only get 10 round replacements. What other manufacturer has ever done this?

I love the USP's, and would recommend them to anyone who has large hands. They are certainly big weapons, but carrying 25 rounds of .45 on your person (12 +1 in the gun, 12 rounds in a spare) on a weapon that has 2" accuracy at 25 yards is some serious gear. You get what you pay for, and with HK you get the best. Straight from the factory.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The USP has almost the exact same grip to bore axis as a 1911. There is just more meat to the slide on the top, so it looks a lot bigger. Break out the ruler and measure it yourself.

I've been carrying a USP 45 that I changed out the variant plate (to a 9) on for about 4 years now. If you want reliability, go with a USP. If you want a lower-cap, unreliable pistol that is expensive to fix,  requires tools to take down, and is slow to reload because of a small magwell target - go with a 1911.

I've been shooting IDPA for almost 6 years now, and I can't count the number of malfunction drills people with 1911's do. Not to mention that out of the 4 1911's I've owned, not a single one has gone without a major failure in the first 5,000 rounds. By major failure, I mean a part breakage that caused the gun to be rendered inoperable.

This is in contrast to my first USP 45, which has 12,000 logged rounds through it with only one minor failure due to my shitty reload. My Tactical, which I still own, is pushing 10,000 rounds and has yet to have a failure. The USP 45F stainless that I now carry has yet to have a failure as well, and is looking at about 3,000.

The USP is a brick shithouse. It is the final refinement of John Browning's genius idea. HK's customer service is top notch in my experience. I have had 5 dealings with them, 3 of which were for my P7's, two of which were because of mags that the springs would no longer hold the slide back reliably. In this case, I sent 5 10 round mags back to them, and was returned 5 *12 round LE marked hicaps*. This floored me, as I expected to only get 10 round replacements. What other manufacturer has ever done this?

I love the USP's, and would recommend them to anyone who has large hands. They are certainly big weapons, but carrying 25 rounds of .45 on your person (12 +1 in the gun, 12 rounds in a spare) on a weapon that has 2" accuracy at 25 yards is some serious gear. You get what you pay for, and with HK you get the best. Straight from the factory.

Doc

This has been my big arguement w/ die hard 1911 folk.  I've carried the USP45F daily for four years now.  It has all the same features and more that any 1911 can offer.  I'd put my High $600+ dollar USP against any $2,600 Wilson or whatever.....its just my opinion afterall.  Only problem I've ever really had with my USP (after 4,000 plus rounds) was when Booniedog dropped it on the concrete, TWICE, .... , scratched it up some but thats about it.  We've shot 2 or 3 different USP45's out to 50yds and are still hitting the target (I repeat hitting).  By no means at this range are we grouping well,... but    I digress.  Theres been some pretty shitty spins on HK customer service and all but not unlike Colt.
99% of the time I stay outta the 1911/USP arguement but in this case Doc has made some good points here.  I think you'll be more than satisfied
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top