Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 10:19:40 AM EDT
I am in my 3rd year of college and for my speech class I talked about the Clinton Gun Ban. My main points were that the ban did not keep these guns off of the street and it only affected cosmetic aspects of these weapons. I was flawless. I owned the audience. But turns out the teacher is a huge lefty and she didnt like it that much. Looser gave me a 74 and I did nothing wrong but challenge her beliefs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am in my 3rd year of college and for my speech class I talked about the Clinton Gun Ban. My main points were that the ban did not keep these guns off of the street and it only affected cosmetic aspects of these weapons. I was flawless. I owned the audience. But turns out the teacher is a huge lefty and she didnt like it that much. Looser gave me a 74 and I did nothing wrong but challenge her beliefs.

Should've brought in an "example" for a more "persuasive" argument.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should've brought in an "example" for a more "persuasive" argument.

lol
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread about sums up how I feel about teachers.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=282650
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Somethings are more important than a good grade.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I would challenge the grade if you completed the assignments regulations exactly. Challenge the 74. That sounds low to me if you performed well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thank you.

Well she said to do the speech on something you feel strongly about so i did.

I did have a couple of people in the class come up to me after the speech and ask me if this stuff was really true because they thought that the ban was legit. I told them to go to clintongunban.com and read up. They were shocked at what the ban really did because they had only seen the CNN side of the story.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#7]
dude that sucks, maybe you should ask her about it and why you got a 74, or "what you needed to do better"

Its not right for her to grade based on her political beliefs, you will find that the good professors will try to ovoid this and try to be more objective.  Just keep this in mind for when it is time to do the professor evalutaion at the end of the semester!

btw What class was it for?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would challenge the grade if you completed the assignments regulations exactly. Challenge the 74. That sounds low to me if you performed well.

well I think i pushed her buttons enough. I need to pull off a high grade in this class and pissing her off probably will not help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
dude that sucks, maybe you should ask her about it and why you got a 74, or "what you needed to do better"

Its not right for her to grade based on her political beliefs, you will find that the good professors will try to ovoid this and try to be more objective.  Just keep this in mind for when it is time to do the professor evalutaion at the end of the semester!

btw What class was it for?

Speech 1

No it isnt right but this day in age it is all too common in the University classroom.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd challenge that.

If your thoughts were organized well and expressed articulately, the subject matter is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thank you.

+1 Damn straight. I appreciate it  too, dude!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Go to the dean.  The big question is "When?"  If you go now, your grades for the rest of the semester could be screwed.  Maybe it would be best to wait & see how you did at the end of the semester.  Anything less than an "A," & you should go to the dean at that time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to the world of the oppressed and bigoted.

Good job on the speech, btw.
-LS
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#14]
My world lit 2 teacher I had last year was a big big lib. For our writing progect the topic he gave us was: Was Hedda Gabler justified in her actions because of the oppression she endured.

Now for those of you who do not know. Hedda Gabler is a play about 18th century Norwegian womens oppression. Now what does this topic have to do with anything today? thats what i said, butt hey, got to do it if it counts 20% of final grade.

Well I tore ole Hedda apart because i didnt buy into that BS. But he gave me an A on the paper even though he didnt agree with my views. He gave me an A because I made a good argument. There should be more teachers like that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Good job and thank you. A 74% is a small price to pay for freedom and educating unkowing sheeple.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#16]
No that grade sucks you need to think like a liberal, bitch moan cry til you get what you want. Seriously I had a few professors give me crap grades because I wrote against their opinions.

Just go to her office hours and make her show you what you did wrong, most will just cave in and bump you up a bit. Make sure to be polite though, firm yet polite.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

First, without knowing the median grade (or your perception of the class median), we really have no way of knowing exactly what to make of a 74. When I went to school, we were graded on a C-modal system... in other words, most people would have gotten a 74 (or 75). There were actually very few Bs (80s to 89) and usually, 0-1 As (90s). Is your teacher one of those who still grades like this or has she succombed to the "feel good -- gotta get him into grad school" grading system of today?

Second, we do not know her criteria for scoring. What were her stated goals for your speech? I'm assuming from your assessment that she was a "looser" ("loser") that you had fullfilled the requirements. But, we do not know since you did not provide us wth enough background information. Was this perhaps one of her criticisms of your speech?

Anyway, before this group gets too concerned about a 74, I think it should require a bit more information. Otherwise, it is nice that you covered a topic from a perspective not usually found in college.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
If you think you have been given a poor grade because of your political beliefs, you need to take it to the professor and the dean NOW. In my view, the type of person who thinks it is OK to give a lower grade based on political beliefs or the type of person who has so internalized that ideology that they cannot be objective about it has already marked you as a target and will continue to give you low grades.

Start documenting everything and immediately bring the matter up. If you wait until after the class or later in the semester, you may have waited too long.

However, I would still start with the professor and ask her to justify the grade to you (preferably with someone else present). Just because you felt you owned the room doesn't mean you did.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, without knowing the median grade (or your perception of the class median), we really have no way of knowing exactly what to make of a 74. When I went to school, we were graded on a C-modal system... in other words, most people would have gotten a 74 (or 75). There were actually very few Bs (80s to 89) and usually, 0-1 As (90s). Is your teacher one of those who still grades like this or has she succombed to the "feel good -- gotta get him into grad school" grading system of today?

Second, we do not know her criteria for scoring. What were her stated goals for your speech? I'm assuming from your assessment that she was a "looser" ("loser") that you had fullfilled the requirements. But, we do not know since you did not provide us wth enough background information. Was this perhaps one of her criticisms of your speech?

Anyway, before this group gets too concerned about a 74, I think it should require a bit more information. Otherwise, it is nice that you covered a topic from a perspective not usually found in college.

To tell you the truth, no offence, but I just thought i would throw my story in here just for a little feedback, and I could go all out and post all of the tiny details about how this went down, but I really dont feel like spending that much time on this. I know that it happend like i said it did and if you dont want to believe me because all of the facts are not on the post then you have every right to. Even if i did post an argument that could not be cut down by any means , there is still the chance that i could be making it all up because we are talking via internet forum.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you think you have been given a poor grade because of your political beliefs, you need to take it to the professor and the dean NOW. In my view, the type of person who thinks it is OK to give a lower grade based on political beliefs or the type of person who has so internalized that ideology that they cannot be objective about it has already marked you as a target and will continue to give you low grades.

Start documenting everything and immediately bring the matter up. If you wait until after the class or later in the semester, you may have waited too long.

good point but i will wait and see how she grades me on my next speech. I will do it on a neutral subject and i will spend alot of time preping like i have done for my other speeches. If I kick ass and she gives me a good grade for it then we will know for sure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

+1

Take it up with her asking for a detailed list of your mistakes. As long as students allow this crap, these types of professors will use their positions to promote their personal agendas.

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

As a teacher myself I can say you are using a pretty broad brush.  Not even mos left leaning teachers would stoop this low.

Will,

You should demand to see the rubric, this is where the teacher keeps track of where points where taken off for certain areas that were graded.  Even so it would be very hard to get such a subjective grade changed.  But you might want to make the fight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I did something similar in 1990, arguing against the '89 import ban.  I did do one really stupid thing, though - I took an M1 Carbine as a prop.  Looking back on it now, I am thankful she didnt do something stupid and get me busted.  Similar result, too - I ended up with a C in the class at the end of the semester.  I didnt care, C is average, and she was still a twit.  I did get a chance to answer some questions from the other students, though - I think some of them did think about it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

+1

Kick ass.  You'll remember this stance for the rest of your life.  This makes you more of a man than most will ever achieve.

Great job.

CMOS  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#25]
too bad it wasn't an AK-74...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

Thanks from me too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
To tell you the truth, no offence, but I just thought i would throw my story in here just for a little feedback, and I could go all out and post all of the tiny details about how this went down, but I really dont feel like spending that much time on this. I know that it happend like i said it did and if you dont want to believe me because all of the facts are not on the post then you have every right to. Even if i did post an argument that could not be cut down by any means , there is still the chance that i could be making it all up because we are talking via internet forum.

No offense taken. I was not impuning your veracity, I fully believe it happenned as you said, but I was offering my own feedback that I thought your post required just a bit more thoroughness. You said, "I got a 74."  If only you had offered just a few more words such as "and everyone else got a 92" I think it may have added to your story and ability of the group to provide rational feedback. At present, the group really does not know why you received a 74 or what it means, so the feedback is equally meaningless -- though palliative.

But, I can also understand not wanting to spend too much time on the post. I hope no offense is taken by my own comments!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense taken. I was not impuning your veracity, I fully believe it happenned as you said, but I was offering my own feedback that I thought your post required just a bit more thoroughness. You said, "I got a 74."  If only you had offered just a few more words such as "and everone else got a 92" I think it may have added to your story and ability of the group to provide rational feedback. At present, the group really does not know why you received a 74 or what it means, so the feedback is equally meaningless -- though palliative.

But, I can also understand not wanting to spend too much time on the post. I hope no offense is taken by my own comments!

are you a lawyer? lol
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
are you a lawyer? lol

LOL. Guess what... I just got my first bench rest gun (shows you what kind of guy I am)! But no, I am a dentist/periodontist, a professor, and an editor on several scientific rags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
welcome to higher learning. all of my professors and according to my friends all of their
professors have been left wing assholes, college is a haven for them. if you listen to
o'reilly or hannity this is a commom theme.  if you have right wing views,no matter what
you do they will take it out on your grades.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a teacher that did that my first year in college (community college before I transfered to a four year).
It was Writing [some low course number] and I submitted a paper I did for my intro to CJ class about sexual assault and how the phoney stuff (false date rapes/crazy women's rights rapes like mind rape and psychic rape) screwed up enforcement for real rapes.
Bitch threw a gasket, chewed me out in class, failed the paper, and stated in writing the men like me were the reason women were raped.
The dean backed her up. I went to some of the real profs, who were libs too but had pride. They introduced me to the 'appeal to the president of the college' process and went back to the dean and told him I was going up the chain and would go to the full board of the college.
She was non-renewed (she was on a semester to semester contract) and I got an A and didn't have to attend the rest of the class.

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a teacher myself I can say you are using a pretty broad brush.  Not even mos left leaning teachers would stoop this low.

Will,

You should demand to see the rubric, this is where the teacher keeps track of where points where taken off for certain areas that were graded.  Even so it would be very hard to get such a subjective grade changed.  But you might want to make the fight.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I had a teacher that did that my first year in college (community college before I transfered to a four year).
It was Writing [some low course number] and I submitted a paper I did for my intro to CJ class about sexual assault and how the phoney stuff (false date rapes/crazy women's rights rapes like mind rape and psychic rape) screwed up enforcement for real rapes.
Bitch threw a gasket, chewed me out in class, failed the paper, and stated in writing the men like me were the reason women were raped.
The dean backed her up. I went to some of the real profs, who were libs too but had pride. They introduced me to the 'appeal to the president of the college' process and went back to the dean and told him I was going up the chain and would go to the full board of the college.
She was non-renewed (she was on a semester to semester contract) and I got an A and didn't have to attend the rest of the class.

wow. you should make  a movie
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
welcome to higher learning. all of my professors and according to my friends all of their
professors have been left wing assholes, college is a haven for them. if you listen to
o'reilly or hannity this is a commom theme.  if you have right wing views,no matter what
you do they will take it out on your grades.  

+1

Back when I was in college in the late 1970's(d@%# I'm dating myself), my constitutional law professor was somewhat to the left of McGovern. Didn't like my comments that the best gun control was to execute criminals with their own guns if they kill someone and that police patrol cars need to have an AK/AR to handle the violent drug related gangs. My ROTC NCO(SF E7 with 2 tours in Indochina, same medals as someone else in the news but had lots of scars to prove it and didn't talk about it) paid him a visit to pass me with a D---.  

So, it's nothing new. You can be either right or liberal.

wganz

Day #16 awaiting on my Team Membership to be processed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top