Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 10:16:39 AM EDT
Heard on GG Liddy show, a Tennessee Democrat congressman is running an add that compares the Republicans to the Special Olympics, saying that even if a Republican wins, he is still retarded.  A caller called in an identified the Democratic congressman behind the add.  He had a special needs child and was greatly offended by the ad, and had contacted the Special Olympics organization, who told him they were aware of the ad, and were calling the congressman's office.

State Rep. Craig Fitzhugh (D-TN): "Democrats in a race for a state House seat in District 82, are circulating a flyer that shows a retarded child with President Bush's face running in a track race. The headline says: 'Voting for Bush Is Like Running In The Special Olympics: Even If You Win, You're Still Retarded.' The flyer is being distributed by Democrat Craig Fitzhugh." (Tradition Values Coalition Website, "Tennessee Democrats Compare Republicans To Special Olympics Children," www.traditionalvalues.org, 10/12/04, Accessed 10/13/04)

www.noticias.info/Asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=35993&src=0

This url has a picture of the ad

www.traditionalvalues.org/modules.php?sid=1951
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
that's funny as hell!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a retarded child, I don't think you would find it funny.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Every time we post it here, everybody (well, almost eveybody) laughs.
But when somebody else uses it, we're all offended?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#4]
is this real? if it is that dem is not only gonna loose but have a hard life after this. as the father of an autistic child, i would personally like to have a "talk" with him. in private.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
is this real? if it is that dem is not only gonna loose but have a hard life after this. as the father of an autistic child, i would personally like to have a "talk" with him. in private.

Yes, sadly it is.  The Special Olympics committee is going to make a public condemnation of it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I never  laugh, and I hope they (DEMS) catch hell for it. I am, however, not offended by it, or going to get pissed about it.. I just don't think it's funny to make fun of those kids.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, that spikes "11" on the moron meter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Imagine what would happen if the Republicans ran that ad.

Special Olympics was started by the Kennedys.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Special Olympics was started by the Kennedys.

GunLvr

you wouldnt hear the end of it until there was a total gun ban
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you can't see the difference... I doubt I or anyone else can help you.

-LS
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be Tennessee's neighbor.  Today is one of those days.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
"server not found"  ?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"server not found"  ?

Many, many folks are trying to hit the site now, and it is getting overloaded.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#14]
oh, the tolerance and love of Democrats...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry but that's the greatest.  If someone is actually using that in a campaign, how could you not think they are just an asshole.   I'm going to egg on every Democrat I can find to behave like this.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I would imagine that this is some kind of fabrication, rumor, urban legend, etc.

I will, however, eat crow if it turns out to be true.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]
It has hit drudge now, and he has a better link

www.teamgop.org/press_archivesb.htm

Dyersburg, TN- Today, Republican nominee for State House District 82, Dave Dahl, denounced a flyer distributed by Democrat State Representative Craig Fitzhugh that attacks Bush voters and mocks those who are mentally challenged (flyer included). “Hard-ball politics is one thing and everyone expects tough battles, but using those who are born with mental disabilities for political fodder is disgusting,” said Dave Dahl on Monday from his campaign office in Dyersburg.

The flyers have been distributed for at least 2 weeks from State Representative Craig Fitzhugh’s campaign office on the town square in downtown Ripley, which also serves as the Kerry-Edwards campaign headquarters. Dahl said, “At first I really did not believe that Fitzhugh and the Democrats would stoop to such gutter politics, but then people started bringing the flyer to me at the end of last week. I was shocked and disgusted.”

Dahl said, “In my first campaign against Mr. Fitzhugh two years ago, the Democrats conducted a negative telephone poll on my then five year old adopted daughter because she was born in Texas and not in Tennessee. I guess I should not be surprised that Mr. Fitzhugh and his crowd would attack Bush voters and call them ‘retarded.’ This is how the Democrats do business.” Dave Dahl continued, “The single minded plan for Mr. Fitzhugh and the Democrats in Tennessee is to attack Republican voters, attack those supporting Republican candidates and to ignore the real issues of the day: jobs, prescriptions drugs costs, education, security at home and taxes.”

“This kind of reckless disregard for those who suffer from mental disabilities is much larger than any state representative race. This act is so atrocious and indecent that my campaign will be sending a copy of the Fitzhugh flyer to the United States Special Olympics Committee, the Special Olympics International Group and state and national advocacy groups who work with and support special needs children and adults,” said Dahl.

Dahl concluded, “My heart goes out to the millions of families who have children and loved ones with special needs. To have their family members mocked in this manner is inexcusable and wrong from any perspective. These kinds of issues cross all political and social boundaries. I call on Mr. Fitzhugh to issue a public apology.”

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope this blows up all over that congressman, and he gets voted out of office.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yep, the Dem's would be raising all kinds of holy hell & make their treatment of Lott look like a smack
on the wrist. But, since it was a Dem that said it, all  you hear is crickets......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, "Yellow Bus" jokes are funny as hell.....Unless you know a special needs child. Or know how hard life is for the parents of the same.

I like crude jokes, but picking on the kids of the Special Oylmpics???

That Democrate is a steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you have a retarded child, I don't think you would find it funny.

I agree and it would get a man a good old fashioned country arse whuppin' for doing it!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My best friend has two Autistic boys. Since we're right in the middle of our N.A.A.R. fundraisers, I'm pretty hot about this.

Hey gotodengo....bless you and yours.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#23]

This is the copy of it from the 'TeamGOP' website listed above.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#25]
This illustrates why taking the high road, often works.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#26]
[giggling]right.  it's not funny.[/giggling]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Talk about mixed messages.  Democrats are the ones who sign up retards, the homeless and the mentally ill then bus them to the polls.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I made the mistake of making a rather crass remark a few years back in jest here.  It greatly upset a fellow board member who has a special needs child whom I respected a great deal.  That was a wake-up call for me, this shit isn't funny!

A couple years ago I posted a pic similar to this one and a fellow board member IM'ed me about how it would upset some folks that had or know someone with SN kids.

I have never posted the pic again here, or anywhere else, because of that person's concern for others and the betterment of our home here!

I know who it was and he may remember it and I would like to say thanks again to him.

Big(MoreConsiderateOfOthersNow)Dozer66
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sometimes I'm embarrassed to be Tennessee's neighbor.  Today is one of those days.

HEY! It's not Tennessee's fault! Democrats suck no matter what state there in!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Wait wait wait, this can't be right, I always thought the Republicans were the biggot racist un-PC people in America...

Where's the Reverend when you need him?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[giggling]right.  it's not funny.[/giggling]

Internet just reached your lean-to?

-LS
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My best friend has two Autistic boys. Since we're right in the middle of our N.A.A.R. fundraisers, I'm pretty hot about this.

Hey gotodengo....bless you and yours.

tell em good luck and not to beleive all that shit about it not being genetic.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Wait wait wait, this can't be right, I always thought the Republicans were the biggot racist un-PC people in America...

Where's the Reverend when you need him?

Yes, you rang?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Heard on GG Liddy show, a Tennessee Democrat congressman is running an add that compares the Republicans to the Special Olympics, saying that even if a Republican wins, he is still retarded.  A caller called in an identified the Democratic congressman behind the add.  He had a special needs child and was greatly offended by the ad, and had contacted the Special Olympics organization, who told him they were aware of the ad, and were calling the congressman's office.

State Rep. Craig Fitzhugh (D-TN): "Democrats in a race for a state House seat in District 82, are circulating a flyer that shows a retarded child with President Bush's face running in a track race. The headline says: 'Voting for Bush Is Like Running In The Special Olympics: Even If You Win, You're Still Retarded.' The flyer is being distributed by Democrat Craig Fitzhugh." (Tradition Values Coalition Website, "Tennessee Democrats Compare Republicans To Special Olympics Children," www.traditionalvalues.org, 10/12/04, Accessed 10/13/04)

www.noticias.info/Asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=35993&src=0

This url has a picture of the ad

www.traditionalvalues.org/modules.php?sid=1951

This strikes me as rather unsensiteeeve. What happened to democratic buzzwords like inclusiveness & compassion, not to mention tolerance? It's pretty damned easy to heap insult at someone born w/ peculiar disabilities like retardation or a physical deformity. Consider what  it's like for the families. You think they enjoy their lot in life? If I were a rep. for Special Olympics, I'd be putting a$$clown on the spot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I have used that before, but not in the mainstream media either. The democraps hit a new low to use that in politics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#36]

This strikes me as rather unsensiteeeve. What happened to democratic buzzwords like inclusiveness & compassion, not to mention tolerance? It's pretty damned easy to heap insult at someone born w/ peculiar disabilities like retardation or a physical deformity. Consider what  it's like for the families. You think they enjoy their lot in life? If I were a rep. for Special Olympics, I'd be putting a$$clown on the spot.

No it apparently isn't the case.  I just showed the flyer to someone who's still my friend dispite the fact she's a democrat.  Not only is it funny as hell, the guy should be elected by the size of his balls alone.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Uh they just took the internet image ("Arguing on the internet") and erased the top line and put in a new one ... they didn't even use the same typeface ... morons!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Has there been any retractions, apologies etc. yet?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

That's rich coming from a person living in the state that spread the whole inter-marrying stereotype of the south,
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

absolutely. the man is the President of the United States. have a little damned respect
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#41]
The part that pisses me off so much is the fact that this guy is a Major in the USAFR.  I think if it is proven that he is responsible for this bullshit, he should be brought up on charges.  
At the very least he has been subordinate to the CINC and has displayed behavior unbecoming an officer; (for the dig on "special People") I'm sure any Judge Advocate General Officer (JAGOFF) could make these charges stick.
What say you, the gallery of peanuts?

B_S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top