Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 9:59:59 AM EDT
I was listening to Rush Limbaughs show a few minutes ago.

They were talking to a lady that runs Operation AC.

This is an adopt a soldier program. To send them comfort items etc. - I guess it started with air conditioners - hence the name.

She was also talking about boots and socks etc. - that the soldiers and marines need this stuff, and that there aren't enough people sponsoring to cover all the needs. She was talking about just ordering 450 pairs of boots to be shipped.

Here is my question - I can understand the adopt a soldier concept for comfort items - I remember hearing about baby wipes etc.  But doesnt Uncle Sam supply the necessities - like boots, socks, toothpaste and toothbrushes, medical supplies etc?

If the soldiers over there fighting arent getting these basic things supplied to them - thats pretty sorry.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Here is my question - I can understand the adopt a soldier concept for comfort items - I remember hearing about baby wipes etc.  But doesnt Uncle Sam supply the necessities - like boots, socks, toothpaste and toothbrushes, medical supplies etc?

If the soldiers over there fighting arent getting these basic things supplied to them - thats pretty sorry.

No doubt.

That's a damned shame if we aren't supplying the basic needs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
There are boots that are much better than the current issue.  Those are the boots she is shipping over.

Most of us who are/were in went to the field with alot of gear that wasn't issued.  Its a matter of personal preference.  GI issue is okay, but not always the best/user friendly gear in existance.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Another handy item that is much appreciated are the little Photon Micro-lights...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Everything I had over there was brought with me, sent from home, or bought in theater. The only things I was proveided were food, ammunition, and transportation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't worn issue boots in over 15 years.  (still active duty)  The issued stuff works, no doubt about it but to echo a previous poster's comment, There's better stuff out there.  Danner, Bates, ect make boots that are much more comfortable, just as durable but cost more

Oh, big +1 on the micro lights!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
All this says is that the Military needs to be better and faster in getting newer and better products deployed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All this says is that the Military needs to be better and faster in getting newer and better products deployed.

They know this. I think it was about 2 years before I got out (maybe more) that the Commandant of The Marine Corps paid us a little visit and basically said the same thing.
He started showing us sleeping bags, boots, Gortex jackets, etc. All stuff he had gotten from a sporting goods store. then paused for a moment and asked a simple question.

"If civilians who go camping once in a while for fun can have stuff like this, then why can't Marines who camp out in the field far more often and for far better reasons than fun?"

He pressed Congress for all this stuff. Got some of it, didn't get some of it. That's how politics affect the military. Point is that the military leadership knows the problem. It's having to deal with the beauracratic horse shit in Washington that screws things up. Congress is packed with dipshits that have no idea what it's like out in the trenches. They can't appreciate how much little stuff like comfortable boots means to a real Soldier/Marine. (Not to exclude the others, Sailors and Airmen like this stuff too, though I'm sure there is some individual differences between branches as to what's best)

Loved that guy (Gen. Krulak btw). Not only does he see it from the "little guy" perspective, but he'll come right out and tell you. No sugar coating politician BS. I always felt that Generals should save that kind of crap for dealing with the politicians and talk to us like Marines.)
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#8]
but instead they keep coming out with new camo patterns(like that airforce shit) instead of taking care of the more importatant stuff

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Boots: As far as the Navy goes you are issued a set of boots that has been deemed "acceptable".
These are made by a contractor who won the contract by being the lowest bidder for the boot that meets the standards (or mil-specs) that the contract called for.

I was Aircrew, I was issued Danner boots that were 1,000 time more comfortable than what the average maintenance person was issued.

Starting in 1998 the maintainers were issued the same boot with different re-enforcement stitching and padding placement.

As far as soap, shampoo and the rest we had to buy that out of our own pocket.
If you wanted to waste a few hours getting OTC medical supplies from medical you could do that, most people would just buy the stuff from the ships store or the exchange.

For the one time I did actually have to spend in "the field" we were provided with large paper towels and some sort of a greyish tan soap bar with which to shower and shave with. Good thing that was only for 2 days.

Quoted:
I was listening to Rush Limbaughs show a few minutes ago.

They were talking to a lady that runs Operation AC.

This is an adopt a soldier program. To send them comfort items etc. - I guess it started with air conditioners - hence the name.

She was also talking about boots and socks etc. - that the soldiers and marines need this stuff, and that there aren't enough people sponsoring to cover all the needs. She was talking about just ordering 450 pairs of boots to be shipped.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top