Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 8:50:23 AM EDT
I have one XP machine and two 2k machines, all on a Linksys DSL router.

Sometimes they boot up and the 2k and XP machines are unable to see each other's shared folders... even though I can ping back and forth.

Actually I have two 2k machines and they always see each other... it just a problem between the XP machine and 2k machines.

I'd say 50% of the time it works and the XP/2k machines are visible to the other, the other 50% it fails and no number of hitting the refresh in windoze explorer makes it work.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Its Bill Gates subtle hint telling you to upgrade the 2K boxes to XP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I cant make my XP and 2000 machines see eachother.  If you figure it out, let me know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]

This happens to me too. Sometimes they start working after a few minutes. Sometimes a reboot does it. Sometimes one sees the other but the other one is blind. Such is life on the network.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have one XP machine and two 2k machines, all on a Linksys DSL router.

Sometimes they boot up and the 2k and XP machines are unable to see each other's shared folders... even though I can ping back and forth.

Actually I have two 2k machines and they always see each other... it just a problem between the XP machine and 2k machines.

I'd say 50% of the time it works and the XP/2k machines are visible to the other, the other 50% it fails and no number of hitting the refresh in windoze explorer makes it work.

Upgrade the one to 2k

Could be several things, all of which I'm too tired to think about right now, sorry
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like another victim of XP's 'simple file sharing' authentication bullshit. Turn it off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I cant make my XP and 2000 machines see each other.  If you figure it out, let me know.

Win2000 has all sorts of security and network settings to configure, but by default XP is wide open on the shared folder. You should be able to see the XP machine from the Win2000 machine with no problem. Something is amiss here. The problem is probably with the Win2000 computers networking settings.

Check the IPX, Netbios, and TCP settings for obvious problems. If necessary just delete the services, reboot, and reinstall. Sometimes that does the trick. You can also have XP make a networking disk for the Win2000 computer.

If you are running firewalls, turn them off before trying anything.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
we've been able to get our win 200o pro machines and xp pro machines to see each other without any problems???    mcole
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Its windows security, not network connectivity....

and I'm not use to xp enought to tell you how to fix it..
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Upgrade to OSX. Come to the dark side.  

I know this will get ugly... Just had to say something...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question and the answer is NO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top