Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2001 2:01:45 PM EDT
Im going to buy an Ar at the charlotte, Nc gunshow tomorrow. My choices are basically like this:

Classic Arms, Bushmaster, Y comp, 16 or 20" bbl. A1 sights. 10 round mag. $649-$659 + taxes. Same gun different compensator, $699. Armalite 16' bbl. a-2 $799 +taxes. They also have a bushmaster with Y comp and a2 sights for like $749 + taxes.

AR gunsmith, Oly arms lower, 20" armalite match upper with a nice compensator, 10 rd mag, assembled, $750 delivered. I can change between uppers, and the price will vary. He also uses DPMS lowers at an extra $30 cost.

I dont know which way to go. What do you guys think? My budget was $700 but Ive incresed it to around $750. How is the quality of Oly arms and DPMS lowers? He has Oly and Armalite, and DPMS uppers, but the DPMS uppers are pretty expensive. Need your advice.

19D
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say either Armalite M15A2 carbine or Bushmaster 16"Bushmaster Y comp. If it is your first AR I would get a 16" barrel.For the little extra you get Armalite and its lifetime warranty to original owner. Plus you get a little better fit and finish. Bushmaster is a close second. Customer service is supposed to be excellent, but the one year warranty is the only thing that has stopped me from buying one. All in all its hard to go wrong with any of your choices. Prices seem to be resonable.Problem with DPMS and Olympic is that they don't have chrome lined barrels if thats what you are looking for. If you want a battle rifle get the Armalite or Bushy. If you want to put a scope on the majority of the time you could get a DPMS or Oly upper. It seems a little fishy getting a 20" match Armalite upper with Oly lower for only $750.00. The Armalite M15A2 National Match 20" upper retails for $675.00 and does not have a compensator or recoil check. If someone puts one on it would eliminate you from alot of competition matchs.Armalite makes a 16" match upper with a recoil check free floated that retails at around $600.00. You might want to go on the Armalite website and see what they carry to see what this dealer is offering.I own the M15A2 Carbine and have been very happy with it. Hope this helps.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it was a match upper. It said on the tag that it was an "armallite 20" something or other. I swear it said match. it wasn't chrmoed on the outside though. looked like a regular upper with a nice comp on the end. the price was $389 for it. It looks like the M15A2 upper on armalite's site....

19D
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite or Bushy factory rifle.
Get the one that calls to you and spend the bucks for what you really want.
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Try to find a Bushmaster A3 if you'll only have one AR. You can brake it with a Wilson or KKF for around $80. Then you can sight/scope it a bunch of different ways as you interests change. Good luck stopping at one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally like Bushmaster. For the type of rifle - I'd try to get a carbine setup like the M-4 - but the legal semi version. Depends on what you use it for. Next to an M4gery - I'd go with the standard setup -a 20" rifle with A1 or A2 sights. Colt is good - but I hate their company politics.    
Link Posted: 2/10/2001 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a flattop carbine, Armalite or Bushmaster.
Dont get in a rush, the prices on ARs seem to have stabilized, look all over, play with everything and make your choice.
Have you looked at the 14.5" Bushmasters with pinned breaks for 16"?? Check out Bushmasters and Armalites catologs online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top