Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:11:51 AM EDT
In this month's "American Rifleman" there's an interview with General Tommy Franks.
First question is about Gen. Franks great office, filled with cool stuff and the NRA gives him its  compliments.
Answer: T.F. "Thanks.  I tell everyone that comes here the same story.  My wife, Cathy, told me a long time ago, "Tommy, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it at home."  So when we left active duty, the first thing we did was to look for a place where we could put 37 years of military memorabilia.

?????????????

So, Gen. Franks was told a long time ago, "I love you, honey, but our home doesn't have any room in it for who you are."   Am I wrong?   'Cause that's what I'm hearing.
The reason I'm making something out of this is because it's not the first time I've heard this shit.  
Wife; "You can have all the reloading and shooting stuff you want dear, but it's gonna go out on the back porch!"
Why do men put up with this garbage?  "Just bring home the paycheck, dear.  I love you, but I basically can't stand who you are!  And by the way, this is MY home, there's not really any room in it for you!  Just get your sorry ass out there and earn enough money to pay the mortgage and then get lost.  Love you!"  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Coolio,

You are correct in your assessment. Marriage is MUTUAL love and respect. Some people need to find out better what their spouse is like before marriage. Mrs. NMSight & I have been married 31+ years. I don't think either of us would put up with this type of disrespect from the other.

For yourself, choose well cause you will indeed be living with the results.

NMSight
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
A man wise beyond his years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

My wife, Cathy, told me a long time ago, "Tommy, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it at home."  

Does that mean he can have sex with hookers?

Stuff it in a pooper and post the pics?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#5]
you work at your office and it is “decorated” or laid out the way you want it so you can do your job.  Home is your wife’s office and is decorated to suit her so she can do her job.  Which is be a homemaker, have cocktail partiers and entertain other housewives while you are at work.  Now you have been working at your job for 30 years sometimes away from home for extended periods so your home is not yours anymore.  It’s your wife’s office.  When you retire you have to figure out how to live on a full time basis with this stranger you married.  In the past men have had a study or an office in their homes.  It was someplace they could go after a dinner party to smoke a cigar.  Women have a drawing room.  With smaller homes you don’t get this luxury.  So men get the garage or the back porch.    
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Fools!

The General's wife just gave him the ultimate suggestion: "you can have anything you want, but you can't have it at home"

Translation:  You have my blessing on creating an off property clubhouse for all of your toys and gear.

Most men think they're lucky, if they can carve away a little clubhouse in the back of the garage, or down in a corner of the basement.
But permission, hell INSTRUCTIONS to set one up, OFF PREMISES.

Too good to be true.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife, Cathy, told me a long time ago, "Tommy, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it at home."  

as long is it is not at home
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at home!

My wife would be down the road if she ever told me that.  I assume the other way around as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I can understand that General Frank's wife wouldn't want the house decorated with memorabilia from his Army career anymore than most men would want memorabilia from a wife's career as say, a teacher, adorning the whole house. What I would not understand, nor tollerate, is that there would be no place for those things that are important to the man of the house. I have my areas of the house where I keep my "stuff" and my wife doesn't have too much to say about it. My wife has no real hobbies or interests like I do. I do have plans to build a stand alone workshop and clean room just for my interests and hobbies though. My wife likes that idea and so do I. I will have a place to myself where I can indulge myself to my hearts content without upsetting anything in the house. Works for me....
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#10]
TEH POOTERPIE SI A POWEERFUL SPEL
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Field and Stream had a two-month article about building a detached 2-car garage and 2nd story trophy room a few months ago.  Gen. Franks would need to build a 6-car garage, but damn it'd be cool.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Coolio,

You are correct in your assessment. Marriage is MUTUAL love and respect. Some people need to find out better what their spouse is like before marriage. Mrs. NMSight & I have been married 31+ years. I don't think either of us would put up with this type of disrespect from the other.

For yourself, choose well cause you will indeed be living with the results.

NMSight

Thanks, NMSight.
I feel a little better now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:26:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Like I always say, once you realize all women are bitches, life makes much more sense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Like I always say, once you realize all women are bitches, life makes much more sense.

...yep! You got to forget the "magic pussy", lay down your rules, if they do not like them they can walk. Needless to say many have walked on me. I could care less. They are attracted to you for what?....to better themselves and their lifestyle. I had one GF 2 summer's back after a few dates tell me she wanted to find a husband my age, quit her job because she hated working and have a kid. I said.....thats not me! Cya......w/in 2 years shes married w/a kid and a endentured husband following her around like a puppy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife allows me one room (den), the garage and one shelf in the china cabinet for custom knives. She has control over the rest of the house.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I ended up with a compromise that worked very well... my room for my crap. A combination gun, radio, military room and office.

That, with some items from my military service and collection of WWII militaria blended intio the decor works well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Its his fault for picking a woman like that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I live alone after a failed marriage. It is my fucking cave and if any of you little bitches want to tell me what to do with it then you have to pay the rent and feed me? Any questions?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.

Are you a little bitter?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
she wanted to find a husband my age, quit her job because she hated working and have a kid.

yep, that sounds familiar.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The guys is a retired general.

He probably has a house on a multi-hundred acre spread.
He probably already has a shop/garage set up for himself.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Mrs. BlammO lets me have whatever I want (although she doesn't always like it).  She makes many sacrifices so BlammO Jr. and I can express our appreciation for guns and tools and crazy stuff in ridiculous ways.  Looks like I got it better than the general.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#23]
No I thought it was funny, didn't you hear the second part? I'm rick james bitch.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Heard that more than once.  Some women won't even let the serviceman wear or have his uniform in the house.

WTF? you got to be kidding me! I guess we know who wears the BDU trousers in that family!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Coolio,

Marriage is MUTUAL love and respect.
NMSight

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

"Marriage is MUTUAL love and respect"

Yer killin' me here!

Marriage is a legal contract which gives power to the woman to ass rape you when the divorce comes.

Never get married.  Especially to an american woman. They are all spoiled rotten.  

Check this site out, he has the right idea:   nomarriage.com

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fools!

The General's wife just gave him the ultimate suggestion: "you can have anything you want, but you can't have it at home"

Translation:  You have my blessing on creating an off property clubhouse for all of your toys and gear.

Most men think they're lucky, if they can carve away a little clubhouse in the back of the garage, or down in a corner of the basement.
But permission, hell INSTRUCTIONS to set one up, OFF PREMISES.

Too good to be true.

Fuckin' A, Cincinnatus!

Out of sight, out of mind. Bring on the hookers and blow!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#27]
this past spring my long term GF bought a house and we moved in together.  3 bedrooms... i was going to have one for my stuff.  well, right away she started saying stuff like 'we can put the computer over there, your guns (safe) can go in the closet, etc.  2 1/2 weeks later i moved out.  i miss her at times but i'll be more happy in the long run.

that wasn't the big problem, but i hated the fact that basically everything representing me was being pushed back into a closet.  my pictures never got hung up..and i'm sure it would have been a fight all the way.

i will not be pwned!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
As Gary Busey said in some movie...women control 90% of the world's money and 100% of the world's pussy, 0r something like that!  Ain't no explanation for why women do what they do, just gotta understand it. Clear?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]
It's all about compromise and respect.  I have my stuff where I want it and am just lucky enough that her stuff goes elsewhere--at her request.  We are very compatible and enjoy each other very much.  Love is grand, and having a happy home life is awesome.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Bolt, You RULE!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Married to a "Marine brat".  she makes suggestinos but understands.  Told her it was my "last gun" tilll done grad school 10 times in the last year.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#33]
married for 2 years, the wife bitches about me wanting to buy gun accessories or guns but thats were it stops. (understandable because shes a penny pincher, THANK GOD)
she compromises with me and eventually we have a mutual understanding.  i don't envy you guys who have to fight tooth and nail for anything and everything.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
you work at your office and it is “decorated” or laid out the way you want it so you can do your job.  Home is your wife’s office and is decorated to suit her so she can do her job.  Which is be a homemaker, have cocktail partiers and entertain other housewives while you are at work.  Now you have been working at your job for 30 years sometimes away from home for extended periods so your home is not yours anymore.  It’s your wife’s office.  When you retire you have to figure out how to live on a full time basis with this stranger you married.  In the past men have had a study or an office in their homes.  It was someplace they could go after a dinner party to smoke a cigar.  Women have a drawing room.  With smaller homes you don’t get this luxury.  So men get the garage or the back porch.    

Yup.  The house is my wifes. She does all the work in it so she decides how it is arranged and everything else.

The garage and den is mine.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#35]
LOL, I call her about a gun, she says 'what kind?' only complains about too many GI Joes and no place to put them...I have too many though.
We do it together, that is how a marriage works, yes,sheis my 3rd wife, I finally  got it right.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#36]
I wouldn't have have the toys if it weren't for my wife.  She too is a penny pincher, because of that I can get more.   God help her when I actually make money though.  Mabey I will by her a Phalanx weapn system for her Yukon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#37]
I wonder if the General had to check his pecker and balls at the door too?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...yep! You got to forget the "magic pussy", lay down your rules, if they do not like them they can walk. Needless to say many have walked on me. I could care less. They are attracted to you for what?....to better themselves and their lifestyle. I had one GF 2 summer's back after a few dates tell me she wanted to find a husband my age, quit her job because she hated working and have a kid. I said.....thats not me! Cya......w/in 2 years shes married w/a kid and a endentured husband following her around like a puppy.

Why do men think they 'have' to get married?  I can see it for women, but men?  I just moved my GF and her two kids out of my house last weekend.  She wanted to transform my 1400 sq ft bungalow into a free day-care center for the kids on the block.  Didn't like it when I said only two of their friends (the neighbor's, who are well-behaved) could come into the house.  When I told her, after 6 months of living with me rent free, that I would need her to contribute to paying the bills (I'm out of work right now) she moved out.  Said she couldn't see paying anything unless we were married.  Right.

Getting married in the contemporary sense is a bad joke.  It IS NOT the same institution as our parent's conception of marriage.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:11:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Just more proof that: WAPCE

(Women Are Pure Concentrated Evil)  

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#40]
That would absolutely NOT fly with me.  This is a good reason why my wife and I chose to move in together before we got married.   If my wife said this to me today, I would tell her to shove it.  Thankfully, she never would say something like that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#41]
www.Nomarriage.com.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Bachelors can't understand. They only think of themselves, and only think with their johnson.

AB
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#43]
I pay the majority of the mortgage and bills .......i'll hang what ever I damned well please on "MY" walls............and the Wife can hang what she wants too.................but I Wont be told what I can and cant do in my own fucking house!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Bachelors can't understand. They only think of themselves, and only think with their johnson.

AB

Yup...somehow they view making your wife happy as some type of sin.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:05:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
she wanted to find a husband my age, quit her job because she hated working and have a kid.

yep, that sounds familiar.  

Was chased for two years by a lady who said "I need a husband to double my income".   She had a specific profile (age, education level, never married, etc.....) that she was looking for and I fit it.   She finally gave up on me and is engaged to a guy she describes as someone she can tolerate.  

A HUGE ditto on the sentiment that marriage is composed of MUTUAL love and respect.  But then I'm a confirmed idealist which drives my more realistic friends crazy.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AB

Yup...somehow they view making your wife happy as some type of sin.

Sgtar15

i'm glad i don't understand.  when i find a woman that respects me and has a place for me and my things in her life...that's a huge plus.  as of now, i will not allow my identity to be shoved back into a closet only to be taken out 'when she lets me'.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do men think they 'have' to get married?  I can see it for women, but men?  I just moved my GF and her two kids out of my house last weekend.  She wanted to transform my 1400 sq ft bungalow into a free day-care center for the kids on the block.  Didn't like it when I said only two of their friends (the neighbor's, who are well-behaved) could come into the house.  When I told her, after 6 months of living with me rent free, that I would need her to contribute to paying the bills (I'm out of work right now) she moved out.  Said she couldn't see paying anything unless we were married.  Right.

Getting married in the contemporary sense is a bad joke.  It IS NOT the same institution as our parent's conception of marriage.

Damn. Sounds like someone was looking for a sugardaddy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Women may have pussies, but some of you guys are pussies.

Confined to the back porch, closet, garage, etc.?  The house is the wife's office?  Sheesh!

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#50]
jeeze I thought I was PWed
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top