Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 2:50:14 AM EDT
I live in NW Ohio and look forward to the 4 to 6 week period in April-May when I don't have to run the heat anymore, and look forward to the 4 to 6 week period in September-October when I don't have to run the A/C anymore.

Well, we've had some brisk nights and in the morning the house is a cool 65 degrees.  The kids are begging to have the heat turned on.  I tell them to wear a sweater or sweatshirt.  The wife and I are very comfortable at this temperature.

At what temp would you turn on the heat?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I made it through last 2 winters with no heat.

I have not ran AC for a month or 2 here, atleast when it gets colder I can burn up some stuff tnat needs burning
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:55:09 AM EDT
[#2]
65 for being inactive around the house is below my comfort threshold.  Out and about that's comfy, but not sitting on your ass IMHO.

Of course everyone is different in this regard.  If you're trying to save $$$ (which I understand all too well living in SoCal) I'd fire up just enough to take the chill off and bundle up a bit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:57:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Growing up in NE Ohio, I was basically told to grow some hair on my ass and until that happened, I just had to bundle up a bit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
In the winter I have the automatic thermostat drop to 63 degrees at night while sleeping, and at 5:00 AM I ramp the heat up to 70 so it is toasty when we get up.  Then at 9:00 AM it drops to 63 degrees while we are all out at work or school.  Weekend program is different.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#5]
[old man voice]GIT OUT IN DA YARD AND DIG A DITCH IF YOU COLD BOY THAT'LL WARM YOU UP, AND WHEN YOU DONE CUT THE GRASS, BEFORE YOU GET OUT THERE BRING ME A BEER[/OLD MAN VOICE]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#6]
It doesn't really get cold were I live.  Rarely does the heater ever come on, usually I just put on a sweater.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I live in NW Ohio and look forward to the 4 to 6 week period in April-May when I don't have to run the heat anymore, and look forward to the 4 to 6 week period in September-October when I don't have to run the A/C anymore.

Well, we've had some brisk nights and in the morning the house is a cool 65 degrees.  The kids are begging to have the heat turned on.  I tell them to wear a sweater or sweatshirt.  The wife and I are very comfortable at this temperature.

Tell that's why they invented sweaters -- sweat shirts , and the like.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Daytime highs of about 55 degrees.Idon`t worry about night time lows because  I`m under a quilt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in NE Ohio.  I have the same chorus line of complaints in the morning from the wife and kids.

No heat until I see the first snowflakes.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I live in central IN, so I understand the brisk nights. We have turned the heat on, but we also have a toddler in the house. I only have it set at 70 though., just enough to keep the chill off.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:53:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You should run the heater for a little while to make sure everything still fires up OK.  Better to find out it has a problem when you can be without heat for a few days while you get it fixed, than during that first cold snap when everyone else is firing theirs up and you can't get a service tech to come out and work on it.

But I'm with you.  I like the fall weather.  Nice and brisk.  Wife hates it when the floor is cold when she gets out of bed.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I did that when I was in grad school. I lived in an apartment on the second floor, with only one outside wall. I leeched heat off of my neighbors below on on the sides.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You should run the heater for a little while to make sure everything still fires up OK.  Better to find out it has a problem when you can be without heat for a few days while you get it fixed, than during that first cold snap when everyone else is firing theirs up and you can't get a service tech to come out and work on it.

But I'm with you.  I like the fall weather.  Nice and brisk.  Wife hates it when the floor is cold when she gets out of bed.

Already done.  I have a service contract with local furnace techs.  My furnace is getting "old", about 16 years, so I get it cleaned and inspected annually.  In the past two years have replace blower motor annd heat exchanger....fortunately both of these fell under the Home Warranty I purchased when I bought the house 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#14]
it has been in the low 40s this week so far.....heater only comes on in the morning so balls dont freeze off after the shower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In the winter I have the automatic thermostat drop to 63 degrees at night while sleeping, and at 5:00 AM I ramp the heat up to 70 so it is toasty when we get up.  Then at 9:00 AM it drops to 63 degrees while we are all out at work or school.  Weekend program is different.

I do the same thing, but set it to 58 at night and when I'm gone.  My bathroom is kinda small, so it gets real toasty with only 30 minutes of heat in the am.  It's a little breezy on those mornings that I forget to set the thermostat though.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Jesus, what are you, a John Kerry?  

You need our advise for something this simple?

I've already had mine on.   Wife gets cold, I like to keep her happy.   73 F.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I don't turn on the heat. Ever.

House stays around 64 degrees in the winter at night and might get up to 70 in the day. There ARE advantages to living in this area.

The way I see it, I've got to make up for all the energy I burned during the summer trying to keep from melting.

ETA:

What gets me is that around here, during the winter it'll get down to about mid-60s, and you'll see people walking around in frickin' parkas! WTF?!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Hey, leave me out of this!  ETA:  You too, MrsGungho and Fast351!  

I'm trying to make it to Nov 1 before I turn on the heat, but I don't think Mrs B will let me wait that long.

Inside temperature hit 58°F a few nights ago.  We keep at at 62°F - 64°F during the winter.  We are never cold in other people's houses.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
65 for being inactive around the house is below my comfort threshold.  Out and about that's comfy, but not sitting on your ass IMHO.

Me too - and I'm EVEN more of a baby!  If it drops below around 67 for me, my hands and feet feel very cold, which is distracting when I'm trying to work (which involves sitting at the computer) - which I often do at home.  My "comfort zone" is 73-76 in the house.  Below 70 it starts to bother me, and below 67 I get cranky.

After having been in the infantry through 3 winters in Denmark, I swore that I would NEVER be cold again unless I had to.  I freakin' HATE being cold!  Now that I make good money, I refuse to sit around being cold and uncomfortable just so I can have so image of being "tough" in my mind.  I'm done being tough
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Now that I make good money, I refuse to sit around being cold and uncomfortable just so I can have so image of being "tough" in my mind.  I'm done being tough

Preach...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Yup, I work too hard to be uncomfortable in my own home.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I turned mine on for the first time last Thursday just to make sure everything works OK.

Then it doesn't get turned on until at least Nov. 1.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I turned mine on for the first time last Thursday just to make sure everything works OK.

Then it doesn't get turned on until at least Nov. 1.

In MI???  You are either:
1) crazy
2) trying to prove something
3) extremely cheap!
(all these are fine if you live alone)

4) living in a house with outstanding insulation and heat retention capability

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did that when I was in grad school. I lived in an apartment on the second floor, with only one outside wall. I leeched heat off of my neighbors below on on the sides.

I live in a house, Im just a cheap bastard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top