Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 12:24:52 AM EDT
Hi,

My hard drive gave up and purchased a new one. My old hard drive had an older version of Windows so I just did an upgrade to Windows XP Pro.

Now Window XP Pro will not install through DOS so I was thinking I will need to install the old version of Window again then upgrade it w/ Window XP Pro.

Is a better way of doing this or is there a sort of boot disk that can be created so Window XP Pro will  install to new hard drive without going to the upgrading route?

Thanks in advance.

ASR
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:32:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The cd itself is bootable.  Unless your computer is 7 years old or so it should boot to the cd without the need for a floppy disk.  Check your BIOS to see if there is any option to enable this.  I've never tried it, but have been told you can start the setup from a win xp startup disk (read: a startup created in xp, not win 98 and such).  I haven't installed an os via floppy (aside from OpenBSD) since NT4, so I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Your cd should be bootable. Just put the disk in the primary Cd drive then turn on the PC. You must check your BIOS settings to make sure that the CD rom boots first and before any other disk. From there you will just follow the instructions, Format in NTFS (not the quick one, new disks need the full format) ....then xp starts its load. after about 20 minutes the PC will reboot. Remove the disk. Let XP boot from the HD. after another 15 minutes your PC will be done.

Dont forget to look at device manager for any hardware that needs additional drivers.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
If what you own is an upgrade only version, then the installer is going to check for an existing version of Windows on the hard drive before continuing. You may very well be forced to install at least a rudimentary copy of an older version of Windows to proceed.

At one time there were workarounds for this, but I don't remember any references to shortcutting in the scenario you have with XP Pro.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Best bet... if you need to purchase an operating system such as XP to upgrade your computer, buy the OEM version with a hard drive. Microsoft's only requirement for selling OEM XP w/ a system is a purchase of a hard drive. Many who buy XP also need to purchase a larger hard drive anyway.

Upgrade versions are terrible if you need to reinstall XP later.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
On a similar note: How portable is an XP build? In other words, can I build an XP Pro installation on one computer and then move the hard drive to a different computer?

A friend has an older Gateway and I was going to buy her a new hard drive, build it here and ship it to her.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
it depends upon the motherboard.  the installing computer will setup the drivers to access the ide controller to read the hard drive.  if the other computer is using a similar controller it will read the drive.  if the other computer is using a dissimilar chipset it will be unable to read the drive.  even if the chipsets are similar the odds are that the other components in the machine will prompt a reactivation that will disable the operating system after 30 days.

in other words...  no, you cannot use windows xp on mulitple computers unless by chance you are using a special "corporate" version.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi,

I have the full version of Windows XP Pro (not upgrade) and the problem I am encountering when I use the Windows XP Pro CD to boot the P.C. is it does not recognize the CD drive.

The only way I could get the P.C. to see the CD rom drive is by using a boot disk from Windows 98 which installs a driver for the CD rom drive but it is in DOS mode and "setup" will not run under DOS.

ASR
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On a similar note: How portable is an XP build? In other words, can I build an XP Pro installation on one computer and then move the hard drive to a different computer?

A friend has an older Gateway and I was going to buy her a new hard drive, build it here and ship it to her.

Thanks

If you need to do that, best option is to build it, run Sysprep on it, and then mail her the activiation code. When she installs the drive and boots it will then do a complete plug & play hardware rediscovery, ask her the date & time, ask for the activiation code, ask if she needs to join a network domain, reboot, and all will be as you left it aside from those changes.

You can download sysprep from Microsoft's website.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help.

Sorry about the Hijack ASR. . .  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Here you go…

Download the Windows XP Pro floppy startup disk.

Or get a new CD-Rom (have you made sure booting from the CD is enabled in the computers bios.)

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55820edb-5039-4955-bcb7-4fed408ea73f&displaylang=en

Overview
The Windows XP startup disk allows computers without a bootable CD-ROM to perform a new installation of the operating system. The Windows XP startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of Setup. You cannot upgrade from a Windows XP startup disk.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Or....
Boot with DOS floppy, FDISK HD, reboot, FORMAT HD.

Reboot with DOS floppy, access XP CD, go to i386 directory, run WINNT.EXE

Load XP.

Fritz
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
This is the procedure I use to do such:

www.theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top